Preteens On Royal Carribean - HELP!!

Julie&Sal

Ok - I will be going on Independance of the Seas in Feb. I have a 8 and 12 year old daughter. The 8 year old can be part of their kidsclub, but what about the 12 year old? Any meet and greet, activities or anything like this? Any suggestiongs for how much superivision we should give her? What about the teen nightclub? Can she go in there even if she is only 12?:confused:

Ok - I will be going on Independance of the Seas in Feb. I have a 8 and 12 year old daughter. The 8 year old can be part of their kidsclub, but what about the 12 year old? Any meet and greet, activities or anything like this? Any suggestiongs for how much superivision we should give her? What about the teen nightclub? Can she go in there even if she is only 12?:confused:

I cannot answer your question about the pre-teen activities, but I will take a shot at the second part. I took my two granddaughters on a cruise when they were 10 and 13. We had breakfast and dinner together on sea days [and most lunches, actually] They would tell me where they planned to be; if they changed their minds and could not find me [since they knew where I would be!] they left a message on the mirror in the room. Dry erase markers work well, BTW! They had a spending limit on their sea cards, so they could get sodas and play in the arcade, but not go nuts! They were not allowed to enter another cabin unless an adult was also present; no one was allowed in our cabin if I wasn't there. It worked well for us - the girls had freedom to enjoy, but within bounds that I considered acceptable.

Ours were 9 and 11 the first time they cruised, your kids will have a great time.

If the teen club says age limit is 13, they probably won't let 12 year olds in. But there will be activities for her age group, so she will have plenty of oppertunity to make friends and do things. We found that our kids for the most part didn't go to the kids activities, just hung out as a family. My 9 year old liked it a little more.

We got seated at a table with a family who had kids the same age as ours, so it was fun to run into them and hang out a bit outside of supper.

As far as supervision, the above poster had great ideas. You know your daughter and how much freedom she can handle. For us, when the kids were 9 and 11, they didn't go anywhere without us, I am a bit over the top with over protectiveness sometimes, and I don't need to be like that. Last cruise they were 13 and 15 and werent allowed to go anywhere alone, but they hung out together, and we had to know where they were. I was mostly thinking of a 15 year old girl being alone, once again, probably me being overprotective.

Our last cruise with them was a big family cruise and we found that the kids were so busy on port days that they dropped into bed after (late dining) supper, so they didn't even want to go anywhere, and we only had one sea day.

I always suggest this to people who travel with kids, buy them each thier own camera. It doesn't have to be fancy and you can get a nice kids camera in the 100$ range. Have lots of extra storage and encourage them to take lots of photos. You will be amazed at what they decide is photo worthy and they will have fun showing thier friends and family "thier" photos. One trip we came home with photos of 72 different alligators and one bug on a sidewalk. :D

Thanks for all the ideas and info everyone! It is great to have the different perspectives! I know they will have a great time! I am concerned about the 12 year old heading out by herself - but if she meets a friend or two (and she is friendly) that will work! She is really responsible. We have a summer place and she usually hangs out with all the kids and checks in throughout today. :) Any other tips or hints are much appreciated!! ;)

On the first cruise with my step-daughters they were 11 and 12. They were both pretty shy. Both enjoyed their respective programs.

We added the 12yo to the list to let her check her sister from Adventure Ocean. They would stay together outside of the progams, (e.g.; gloing to the pool.), and we made sure we knew where they were at all times.

Aloha,

John