Wall Street Inn

amcankid

Has anybody stayed at the Wall Street Inn on S. Williams Street in Lower Manhattan. I'd like to know how convieniant it is to the Manhatten pier. And also is it worth staying there (because of location) or is it better to get out of Manhatten to save on hotel rates. We'll be there for two full day's before our Splendor cruise in June.

Has anybody stayed at the Wall Street Inn on S. Williams Street in Lower Manhattan. I'd like to know how convieniant it is to the Manhatten pier. And also is it worth staying there (because of location) or is it better to get out of Manhatten to save on hotel rates. We'll be there for two full day's before our Splendor cruise in June.

If you are traveling light and comfortable with mass transit and walking a few blocks and some stairs with luggage, it's no more or less convenient than any other. Otherwise the cab fare will be well over $20 plus tip, more if you are trawling in a weekday.

If your plan is to see Manhattan first, then stay in Manhattan, although other than the WTC site, I'm not sure why you would choose that hotel to stay in. Most tourists stay in midtown for a reason.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

We stayed a weekend there once. Loved the hotel. It's very clean, continental breakfast with some pastries and coffee left out all day so you can snack when you want (mmm).

We toured mostly downtown that trip, and there is a LOT more to see than just the 911 Memorial (that was not open at the time we were there). One day we did the "financial" stuff - saw the Bull, toured the Federal Reserve Bank, went to St. Paul's, Trinity church and their courtyard cemetery (Alexander Hamilton is buried there), etc., etc. The next day we walked along the waterfront from Castle Clinton around and up the Hudson side - lovely to be out with the strollers, artists, kids playing in playgrounds, stopped to watch some pick-up basketball games, visited the Irish Hunger Memorial. Beautiful green belt with great river views.

The very very best part of the Wall Street Inn is it backs onto Stone Street - a pedestrian-only street where picnic-type tables are set up in front of all the various restaurants, and you eat outside, meeting and talking with whoever is at your table. We had so much fun. However...ask for a room NOT overlooking Stone Street unless you want to be kept awake by all the people down there at night. Great after work happy hour place.

The subway will get you anywhere for sightseeing.

However, if you'll look at a map you will see it is not anywhere near the Manhattan Cruise terminal, which is I believe in the West 40s-50s or so? I would take a cab there with lots of luggage.

(Just want to add that we go to New York a lot, so spending a weekend down in the Financial District was different and fun. If you want to do more Midtown/Uptown things, then maybe staying closer to there would work best for you. But we really loved the old-fashioned but very clean and updated Wall Street Inn. I'd stay there again.)

Edited by warmwinds

Thankyou Warmwinds.

I picked the Wall Street Inn based on reviews on hotels with a price point being under 250. Hard to find (if not impossible) anything in Mid Manhattan that's well reviewed at that price. As I said, we'll be there for two day's before the cruise, and after we'llm stay at the Opera House Hotel in the Bronx. New hotel with very good reviews that has a good price only cause of the area.

Geting back to the Wall Street however, I just want to be in Manhattan itself pre cruise. Just seems more practicle for a short two day stint.

Have you looked at hotels in Long Island City? (NOT Long Island, which is the whole huge island, but Long Island City, the first subway stop east of Manhattan in Queens). I hang on the New York Tripadvisor board a lot and there are several hotels there that are quite close to the subway - and some that are not, so be careful. They say the commute in is very quick (one stop and you're in Manhattan) and the prices are usually very good. I can't recall which hotels are recommended and which are not, but it's also an alternative, and faster than coming in from the Bronx every time you want to be in Manhattan.

I'll try to find a link over there that mentions the various hotels.

Hope this helps: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6983705-Best_Hotels_outside_NY_but_Close_to_Transit_lines-New_York_City_New_York.html

Edited by warmwinds

As a former resident of LIC, it is not an area I would suggest for a tourist, and to be frank, the majority of those hotels are absolute dumps that I wouldn't ever in good conscious recommend.

You would be better off in Jersey City at one of the better hotels along the PATH route. It's not unusual for the Hyatt, Westin, and Courtyard to be under $250 a night, and I've seen them in the mid $100's and lower. Much nicer, safer area, and just as convenient.

I'm surprised, Ducklite. They are very, very often recommended on TA as alternatives to high Manhattan prices. And while the area is often referred to as ugly and industrial, the hotels themselves are not considered dumps. Maybe they have been renovated since you last stayed in them?

I'm surprised, Ducklite. They are very, very often recommended on TA as alternatives to high Manhattan prices. And while the area is often referred to as ugly and industrial, the hotels themselves are not considered dumps. Maybe they have been renovated since you last stayed in them?

It's not just the hotels but the area in general. Very few amenities as far as restaurants and such that a tourist would want, and generally pretty seedy and not the safest neighborhood. I only lived there for about six months in a sublet, and was really happy to get back to Hell's Kitchen. The only redeeming factor of that apartment was that it was cheap (for good reason) and directly across from the first train stop in Queens in the 7.

Edited by ducklite

Also if you are coming back late it's a very expensive cab ride, and I generally don't suggest the 7 train later in the evening unless you are familiar with it and the MTA in general.

Edited by ducklite

Then I apologize for giving bad suggestions. Obviously since you lived there you know...I was only going second hand from the recommendations on TA.

No worries. Keep in mind that many on TA are from other counties where they often have different standards in accommodations from most Americans. For someone familiar with living in an urban area and using a large mass transit system who are more concerned with price than standards it might be acceptable. My opinion is that most people who would spend the money to take a cruise are going to want a higher standard and more amenities than that area will offer.

The hotels near Queens Plaza are the best of the bunch, but even those leave a lot to be desired, and none are immediately adjacent to the train stop.

The hotels near Queens Plaza are the best of the bunch, but even those leave a lot to be desired, and none are immediately adjacent to the train stop.

I work in Long Island City now for over 15 years (was on Queens Plaza now on Vernon Blvd) yes the new hotels that have sprung up are fine and clean. The area though Metlife moved in then out and now Jet Blue moved with the City putting in park like area on Queens Plaza (under an elevated train go figure) at night the place has not improved.

There are seedy bars on Queens Plaza, early morning the Rikers Island bus drops off released inmates and then the city bus takes visitors to Rikers Island (big city lockup or County Jail for all 5 counties in NYC).

The strip club next to my work doesn't even open until 8pm.

You have to know yourself if the price of the hotel and if you want to put up with the "night life". And yes there is not much to do about eating around Queesn Plaza that stays open late. No fast food other than a Burger place (forgot the name) but does not stay open very late.

As to staying in the Financial District, it is a different experience then midtown you should do it if you can handle the subway for tourism but please note because of Super Storm Sandy there are changes on the weekend to subway service in lower Manhattan as well as normal scheduled maintenance. Remember to check MTA.INFO or Hop Stop.

FWIW

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, OP, for asking about the Wall Street Inn, and thank you, warmwinds for your excellent review of the hotel. We're staying there on a Saturday night next Fall, and I suspect it will be much quieter in the Financial District than in the Midtown or Times Square areas. We booked the hotel based on its great price and reviews we read on a couple of different booking engines and TripAdvisor. It's a plus to know a fellow Cruise Critic liked the place.