Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fund

OceanDreaming2

The last few days I have thought about finding a fund to donate to help the Phillipines. Now with NCL creating a fund it will make it easy. Also for me it will seem more personal. Folks that have worked hard on my behalf in the past may benefit directly from my contribution. Hopefully what we can give will help our friends and their families.

Jon

Edited by NH Cruisers

It's good to know there are so many choices out there for people to help.

Many people do not worry about claiming a tax deduction when contributing to a cause, so sending money to NCL is not a problem. It sounds like the money will go to their employee assistance fund, which many companies, including my hospital, have.

There are also other relief agencies as noted by other posters. And here I will put a plug in for Water Missions International. Please google for details but they send solar powered water purification units into disaster areas. I have personally seen one of these in action and it is a marvel. They are small and easily shipped into disaster areas...

The important thing is that a donation is made to an organization you trust. NCL is taking immediate action to help their crew and affected families.

Here is why we donated to the NCL Relief Fund:

1) The crew: they work so hard and have made our vacation time memorable

2) NCL: we trust NCL to handle all donations with great care

3) a disaster calls for many different kinds of relief (food, clothing, shelter, counseling etc)

4) Imagine the stress, worry, fear, helplessness and sadness the crew must feel. They are far from home, expected to work as hard as ever, trying to plan trips back home if possible, wanting to help their family/friends/neighbors...

Over the last few years, many large corporations have created employee assistance funds to help in a crisis (BIG or small). These resources are contributed by both the company and fellow employees.

Take into account all of the above...and remember that through it all, they are expected to focus on making their guests happy (not an easy task given some comments found around here and other sites).

Consider if and how you can help.

I agree. Imagine working on a cruise ship when your home and community has been destroyed and you have a passenger asking about their towel animal. These crew members are incredible. They deserve our support in their time of need.

Again, I'm not questioning NCL's motives or intent, I'm just pointing out that there is a very real history of contributed monies not getting to the people for whom the contributors assumed it was intended.

You know what they say about the word "assume".

Yes, you are questioning it, I guess with good reason. I choose to trust they want to take care of their crew.

This isn't the Red Cross. It is a company that wants to help their employees.

Telecommunications is a major obstacles in reaching out and get reconnected with those from their home countries.

Both Verizonwireless & AT&T WS are waiving charges for calls & text messaging to the Philippines - so for those of you docked in US ports (not foreign ports like the Nassau, Mexico or Caribbeans) thru 12/7 or 11/30 respectively, you can generously offer to an off-duty/shore leave crew member in need of making mobile calls home this free service - as many of them use calling cards, however inexpensive as not all of them use mobile devices.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9243983/Update_AT_T_and_Verizon_won_t_charge_for_Philippines_disaster_calls_and_texts

However, the hardest hit area are 80 to 90% destroyed lacking even the basic necessities like clean drinking water, survival food rations & emergency shelters and have no running electricity - fuel are running low, etc. Manila, the capital is fine and running but the countryside is just like the days after Katrina - we are monitoring some of the HAM radio traffic being relayed, it will be difficult to communicate as it is now essentially satellite and low band getting thru. With the arrival of the USN's aircraft carrier group and its maritime capacities onboard, let's pray that help will expand far beyond that tiny airport now handling C130's around the clock. Britain just announced that it is sending the carrier HMS Illustrious to assist ...

Edited by mking8288

...you can generously offer to an off-duty/shore leave crew member in need of making mobile calls home this free service - as many of them use calling cards, however inexpensive as not all of them use mobile devices.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9243983/Update_AT_T_and_Verizon_won_t_charge_for_Philippines_disaster_calls_and_texts

Great idea. A simple act of kindness that can make a huge difference for someone.

You can now donate by cash , check OR credit card to:

NCL's Typhoon Relief Fund for NCL employee's, family and loved ones.

Go to the NCL Website ( www.ncl.com )

Look for a small yellow NEWS ALERT box on left side about

1/4 of a page from the top. Click On the Yellow Box For the Below Information.

AT THE END OF THE NEWS ALERT MESSAGE, CLICK ON THE HYPERLINK:

TO MAKE A DONATION ON A SECURE SITE FOR PAYPAL AND CREDIT CARDS.

"Typhoon Haiyan

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at 9:30 am ET

Everyone at Norwegian Cruise Line is truly saddened to hear of the

significant devastation in the Philippines caused by Typhoon Haiyan.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of our

crew members from the Philippines who have been impacted.

We have been in constant contact with our partners in Manila, who are

actively reaching out to contact crew members and their families located

around Manila and outlying provinces. Crew members on board are being

supported to help make contact with their families and we are making

arrangements for those who need to return home to do so.

If you wish to contribute to Norwegian’s Support Fund for our Filipino crew

members, we welcome your contributions, no matter how big or small.

We are currently collecting funds throughout the company and throughout

our fleet. Guests currently onboard our ships can make donations through

the Guest Services Desk. Our guests have expressed great concern for

our crew members and we can’t thank you enough for standing by us as

we support our crew and their families.

Anyone who wishes to contribute can send a

check payable to Norwegian Cruise Line to:

Norwegian Cruise Line

Attention: Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fund

7665 Corporate Center Drive

Miami, FL 33126

or Donate via PayPal (including Credit Cards):

(CLICK ON HYPERLINK SHOWN ON NCL WEBSITE)

pixel.gif

Please note donations are not tax deductible."

We were happy to be able to make our donation via PayPal directly from the Norwegian Cruise Line website. Although there are several sites to donate through we prefer that our $$ goes to helping family or friends of the wonderful crew members who have made NCL our cruise line of choice.