1st timers Epic or Dawn

abbo1963

Hello CC this is our first cruise. We have done many AI before but received a free NCL cruise . Looking to go in January and these two boats have the Itinerary's that appeal the most to us. Any thoughts for 1st time cruisers early 50's in age

You will likely receive many answers/opinions.

Some of our most memorable cruises have been on smaller ships so we were reluctant to try a very large ship.

A little over 2 years ago I won a a free cruise while playing bingo on Royal Caribbean. We used that opportunity to try Oasis of the Seas and really enjoyed it. It didn't "feel" as big as we thought because there were so many different areas and activities. Not everyone gathered en mass. So, we started to think about trying Epic since we also love NCL.

Although NCL Dawn is one of our favorite (not small) ships we are sailing out on Epic for the first time next month.

From all that I have read, we should have a wonderful time. I do think though, that we will return to some smaller ships.

I've sailed both the Dawn and the Epic. I liked both of them. For the Epic, you either love it or hate it. There seems no middle ground. The main reason people don't like it is because of the bathroom setup, but I found it okay with me. I was in a Studio cabin.

We like bands relaxing in the lounge with drinks i agree the entertainment seems more abundant on Epic . Just concerned about such a big ship 1st time cruising

Back in Oct 2010, my husband and I took our very first cruise, it was on the Epic. It was amazing, we to are in our early 50s and were celebrating our 25th anniversary. Since then, we have sailed the Epic again in Nov 2012 and our booked on the Breakaway in January 2014.

I have never sailed the smaller ships, but in my humble opinion you can not go wrong with the Epic, the choses of entertainment, and food options are abundant. You can do as little as you want or as much as you want. Was always able to find a quiet spot to read if we just wanted to chillax or there was always something going on if you wanted to be entertained.

No matter what ship you chose, sit back and enjoy the experience.

We like bands relaxing in the lounge with drinks i agree the entertainment seems more abundant on Epic . Just concerned about such a big ship 1st time cruising

But since you have never cruised before, you have nothing to compare it to! There are plenty of venues where you can escape the masses if you choose to.

You may want to look closely at the itineraries of the two ships. The Epic's itinerary visits the Eastern Caribbean and has 3 port days and 3 sea days. The Dawn visits the Western Caribbean and has 4 port days and 2 sea days. Would you rather spend more time on the ship or more time ashore?

Also, what would you like to do once you are ashore? There are many things to choose from - shopping, snorkeling, the beach, cavetubing, Mayan ruins, ziplining, and so on. Some of these activities (like the Mayan ruins) can only be done on Western itineraries and other activities are better with the Eastern itineraries.

My first cruise was on the Epic in Europe (my first time in Europe as well!). I'll be on the Dawn in February.

I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise on the Epic, but honestly have been on a smaller ship since and liked the intimacy. We saw alot of the same people and the people were friendlier on the smaller ship.

I'd go with the Dawn if both itineraries appeal to you.