Walking Old San Juan - Hilly?

frisbeewife

DH and I will be in San Juan for a couple of days pre-cruise in January and we were considering spending a day wandering around Old San Juan. I'm just wondering how many hills we would have to hike up and down - I have a knee that doesn't always like hills or stairs and I hate to ruin it before we even get on the ship. I've considered taking a tour of OSJ but we really like the freedom to go where we want to and stop and take pictures when we want to. Plus we're probably going to take a tour to El Yunque on the other pre-cruise day and I hate to spend money on 2 tours. :)

Any suggestions on how to do OSJ without ruining a knee? We are ages 65 and 56 and in pretty good shape, I just have a bum knee.

DH and I will be in San Juan for a couple of days pre-cruise in January and we were considering spending a day wandering around Old San Juan. I'm just wondering how many hills we would have to hike up and down - I have a knee that doesn't always like hills or stairs and I hate to ruin it before we even get on the ship. I've considered taking a tour of OSJ but we really like the freedom to go where we want to and stop and take pictures when we want to. Plus we're probably going to take a tour to El Yunque on the other pre-cruise day and I hate to spend money on 2 tours. :)

Any suggestions on how to do OSJ without ruining a knee? We are ages 65 and 56 and in pretty good shape, I just have a bum knee.

From the port to El Moro it's up hill. You can catch a taxi or the free trolley, start at El Moro and walk down hill back to the port area.

It's definitely hilly, but not too bad if you are at all used to hills or mountainous terrain. Do watch for the uneven cobblestones - it's easy to trip.

My knee only bothers me on downhills and none of the grades in San Juan were steep enough to bother me, but that's just me and not everyone will have the same issue.

OSJ didn't strike me as so hilly that it was an issue (and I also have an issue with one of my knees and I'm part of your age demographic). The heat is the biggest issue IMO.

As far as an assessment of the "walkability" of OSJ, the streets are cobblestone and heavily rutted in places, and the sidewalks are an intriguing mix of paving efforts that are focused on minimizing the amount of material that needs to be used. But it all adds to the incredible charm of the place. We wandered the streets for several hours and found so much to see and photograph. If your objective is the destination ... the trolley might be your best option; but if your focus is the journey, then walk the streets and make dozens of little discoveries. It is a living museum, where people live, work and shop. You'll find intricate tile work on building exteriors, amazing restorations of buildings that are centuries old, numerous plazas, a fair number of monuments, and of course, a couple of massive forts.

And those cobblestones? They were bought over from Spain as ballast in the ships that brought the earliest colonists.

(Can you tell I'm eagerly looking forward to visiting San Juan again? ... This time I'll remember the sunscreen and some bottled water!)

• 3 weeks later...
OSJ didn't strike me as so hilly that it was an issue (and I also have an issue with one of my knees and I'm part of your age demographic). The heat is the biggest issue IMO.

As far as an assessment of the "walkability" of OSJ, the streets are cobblestone and heavily rutted in places, and the sidewalks are an intriguing mix of paving efforts that are focused on minimizing the amount of material that needs to be used. But it all adds to the incredible charm of the place. We wandered the streets for several hours and found so much to see and photograph. If your objective is the destination ... the trolley might be your best option; but if your focus is the journey, then walk the streets and make dozens of little discoveries. It is a living museum, where people live, work and shop. You'll find intricate tile work on building exteriors, amazing restorations of buildings that are centuries old, numerous plazas, a fair number of monuments, and of course, a couple of massive forts.

And those cobblestones? They were bought over from Spain as ballast in the ships that brought the earliest colonists.

(Can you tell I'm eagerly looking forward to visiting San Juan again? ... This time I'll remember the sunscreen and some bottled water!)

Did you also do the El Yunque? My husband is 60 and has problems standing still a long time. I am worried about the hike.

i find the uphill a cardiac work out,, and the down hill a cartilage pain ! OSJ is very hilly in comparison to most shopping malls.. but not as bad as a Mayan ruin climb, the nice thing about walking around,, you can stop in numerous stores and rest ,, I like to grab a beer while resting,, and there are plenty of stops! then I don't hardly even remember the walk back down! lol

This will be the third year in a row (hard to believe for me) that we will be in Old Juan. We are in our early 60's and are in reasonably good shape. We have walked the cobble stone streets the last two years, from port to both forts and many, many places in between and will be doing so again this Feb. While hilly, we find this adventure to be very doable and not too strenuous for us. The only caveat is to have a good supply of water, take your time to stop and enjoy along the way, take lots of photos and experience it at your own pace and don't be leery of approaching other people to pass the time of day. We always walk along the waterfront to the old Red Gate and just go from there!

yes, unfortunately, the trolley is very popular and the stop right across from the cruise ship pier is always crowded and I don't believe there is a set queue.

I would take a taxi up to El Morro to avoid the annoying wait and then the push for available seats when it comes.

Or walk westward and get on the trolley at the earlier stop.

yes, unfortunately, the trolley is very popular and the stop right across from the cruise ship pier is always crowded and I don't believe there is a set queue.

I would take a taxi up to El Morro to avoid the annoying wait and then the push for available seats when it comes.

Or walk westward and get on the trolley at the earlier stop.

So as I get off the ship, I turn right and walk to the previous trolley stop?

How far away is that from where the ship docks?

Don

So as I get off the ship, I turn right and walk to the previous trolley stop?

How far away is that from where the ship docks?

Don

Assuming you are docked in OSJ at Pier 3/4:

Actually- you would turn left. It is about a 10 min slow walk, all flat. It will be in the little plaza by the yellow house- on the cobblestone road to the north. Just after pier 1.

But if you are ok with walking 10 mins up a little hill, you can be at Fort San Cristobal without doing the trolley at all.

If you arrive by ship and want to do a very nice walk just keep to the left as you exit the pier. You will walk along the harbor and then through a large gate. You will pass statues, a museum, the gate to the City and if you continue the walkway goes all the way to El Morro. This walk is all flat.:)