Best way to book NCL?

Morgsmom

Hi everyone,

without violating any rules, can you please let me know if you generally book NCL cruises directly, or through any online agencies? My favorite online service which allows TA's to bid for your services doesn't represent NCL.

Any gentle suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

without violating any rules, can you please let me know if you generally book NCL cruises directly, or through any online agencies? My favorite online service which allows TA's to bid for your services doesn't represent NCL.

Thank you!

I've always booked directly through NCL but I know some prefer a TA. I'd say it's up to you but right now it appears there's a bit of a sale going on so maybe just call ncl then another online ta to compare.

I used to use online agency and once I used a friend of a friend's TA. I later found out later that the online place had a cancellation fee (seperate than NCL's), which I didn't cancel but bothered me. They also lumped me into their "group" and I missed out on some other opportunities because of it. In the situation with the friend's TA, I missed out on a cabin upgrade because the TA didn't get back to me on time.

I will only book direct from now on. I want an answer, a possible upgrade, a possible onboard credit, or a problem solved on my time, not when the TA calls me back and then has to call NCL, even if the online TA offers some OBC or perks.

Edited by kimkencruzers

The first cruise I ever went on was booked through a travel agency. Every cruise since then was booked through NCL. Didn't see any difference. There are some threads devoted to this topic though. A lot of people have commented that most travel agents don't have much more to offer than booking through NCL directly. It seems that the travel agents can do more with other cruiselines. This isn't my firsthand experience, so don't quote me on it.

We usually book direct, but did our latest one through a discount warehouse store's travel agency. We got a cheaper cabin rate, plus an additional on board credit. TAs don't really provide any value above booking online any longer.

Independent TAs have been squeezed so hard by the travel industry that they can't give the kind of personalized service they used to provide. Now, you can buy travel concierge service that is analogous to the old travel agent model, at least in being able to call them 24/7 when you're stuck in Chicago and get a route out of the place, with all the arrangements made for you.

I've booked both directly through the cruise line and with TAs. Both have their advantages. I do love the control I get in booking directly with NCL. Otoh, the discounts can be sizable when booking with a TA. For example, one TA was offering to pay the service charge on a cruise I was considering. I needed cabins for 10 people, so $12 per person per day times 7 days times 10 people equals $840.... which is a chunk of change.

I haven't had too many issues getting TAs to be responsive. For example, last week I was able to upgrade 2 cabins after final payment by working through my (warehouse club) TA. I got the exact cabins I wanted for the small increase that I was willing to pay.

Edited by polySeraph

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

I used to book through a family friend who is a travel agent. Unfortunately since she was a family friend, my emails and phone calls were always the lowest priority to her. I considered a few online travel agents, but found many of them had additional fees associated with cancellation (above what NCL charges) so to me it is easier to book directly with NCL. I have no had any issues receiving price drops of upgrades, both of which I missed out on with my travel agent.

Booked a NCL Bermuda cruise over the weekend - we used a TA from one of the members-only bulk purchase stores. Same prices as NCL.com but the TA added OBC that NCL wasn't offering.

How successful are the big box TA's when it comes to price drops or upgrades? Do they do that or do you end up with the original price/ cabin regardless?

Before I joined CC I never thought to ask. Now I just book myself...