wine and dine package question

Hi,

I have a question for Wine and dine package - I was looking to buy the 10 bottles package thinking that the three adults in our party can share a bottle every night (we're booked on a 10 night Christmas cruise), but after calling RCI it seems that we can't share, we'd have to all buy the package. This is not what I was told a few months ago when I booked the cruise, so I'm confused now. There's no way we can each drink a bottle a night, this doesn't make sense?!

How does this package work??

Many thanks for clarifying this!

You only have to all buy the all inclusive beverage packages. The wine and dine is just purchasing bottles of wine. Call back and talk to someone who knows what they're doing. We've done the wine and dine several times - one of us.

You only have to all buy the all inclusive beverage packages. The wine and dine is just purchasing bottles of wine. Call back and talk to someone who knows what they're doing. We've done the wine and dine several times - one of us.

I will concur and did it on my last cruise. The person that originally purchases is supposed to be there to "order" the wine. Fortunately, I went with family and requested a bottle from my Mom's package and they didn't have a problem getting it without my Mom when she decided not to go to dinner (the table waiters knew who was in my family). Once presented, the wine can be shared with whoever. Any leftover in the bottle, they will hold it for you OR you can take it with you.

I will say that we were disappointed. They seemed to not have or run out o every decent Cabernet available with the package. I did complain and they got a decent Cabernet from one of the specialty bars (apparently, they don't typically go outside of the MDR allotment of wines). I appreciated them trying and have heard many good things about the package.

I might do it again sometime. However, I did hear that they are adding choices to the all-inclusive alcohol packages (wines by the glass up to $12/glass, bottled water, specialty coffees, etc.), so I am planning to try that out the end of this month. I will be nice to cruise and not have to worry about anything, but tips and extra tips (I am a big believer in tipping for GREAT service).

I have done the wine package on every cruise we have done. We travel with my parents most of the time so we share the wine between us. We have never had a problem with sharing the wine, the person who purchased the package has to hand over their SeaPass card when the wine is ordered. We have even had two different bottles open at a time, I like a sweeter wine while my parents like a drier wine.

Call back and speak to someone else or just wait and book it once onboard.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I drink wine with dinner. I have always ordered the wine and dine package at least since 2001 when I think it was introduced. The wines are nothing special, but they are slightly discounted from ordering off the menu. Sharing at the table is not a problem. It could be a problem if your group doesn't eat together because they always put a sticker on my card and never on my wife's. So, I can order wine, I am not sure she could without me being present.

jc

The person you spoke to is confusing the wine and dine with the alcohol package. DH and I always get the wine to have with dinner, there will be a sticker put on 1 seapass card so only that person can order the wine. It does save money against the cost of individual bottles. We normally wait till we board but you can order it online in advance.

many thanks to all, really appreciate your feedback. I booked the 10 bottle package for our Christmas cruise on Grandeur, hope to try the Mer Soleil that everyone raves about.

I would not book the package for specific wines that appear on the list online. They may or may not be available on your actually sailing. The wines vary greatly from the home ports that a cruise departs from. Since the vendors in those ports probably provide what they have available.

I like a Cabernet or a good Pinot Noir. Unfortunately, many Pinot Noirs are awful. One cruise they showed the Argyle Pinot on the list. I was very happy to see a drinkable Pinot only to be disappointed when there was zero Argyle on the ship.

Good luck but don't set yourself up for unhappiness looking for a specific bottle of wine.

Just trying to keep your expectations in line with reality.

jc