Will Solstice class be able to cruise into Venice??

portcbob

Hi fellow cruisers.

Just been reading that ships over 96,000 ton wont be able to cruise into Venice lagoon from the 1st November, 2014. I am researching the Silhouette at the moment for the 12 night Grand Mediterrean for 2015 which disembarks in Venice and wondering whether these itineries will still be available if this happens?????

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise a smaller ship will have to suffice....

Cheers Bob.:):):)

Hi fellow cruisers.

Just been reading that ships over 96,000 ton wont be able to cruise into Venice lagoon from the 1st November, 2014. I am researching the Silhouette at the moment for the 12 night Grand Mediterrean for 2015 which disembarks in Venice and wondering whether these itineries will still be available if this happens?????

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise a smaller ship will have to suffice....

Cheers Bob.:):):)

The Solstice class of ship is about 122,000 tons. They will have go the alternate route.

What is the alternative route please?????

Will passengers disembark actually in the heart of Venice?????

Thankyou Bob.:):)

Since this law was passed just a few days ago, it will take a bit of time for the cruise lines to:

1) figure out what the details of the law are

2) what to do about it after the details are studied

Unfortunately, I would expect this to take a bit of time. Bottom line, if Venice is on the itinerary, the cruise lines will figure something out.

I don't think the alternate route has actually been detailed yet but the goal is to divert ships away from the Giudecca Canal which takes you past St Mark's Square. I believe they still plan on utilising the existing port facilities but they will decrease the number of ships in port at any one time.

Celebrity have announced that they do not intend to change any 2014 itineraries but they are still deciding how they will deal with the changes.

Sailing down the Giudecca Canal on a cruise ship is a great experience but you certainly won't be able to do it on the Solstice once these changes take effect.

The actual implementation is still a bit of a question for the near future. But new restrictions go into effect this coming January. The immediate plan is to reduce large ships by 20% (effective in January). In Nov '14 they plan on totally banning all ships over 96,000 tons (this would include Solstice Class ships) from Venice. The large ships will be accomodated at a mainland docking facility from where passengers will be bused to Venice. One of the better stories we have read on the issue can be found at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2490005/Venice-cruise-ship-restrictions-Biggest-liners-barred-sailing-close.html

Hank