Walking to Forts from port

6inacanoe

The walk to El Morro is all uphill. San Cristobel is an easier walk.

What I do is catch the free bus/trolley to El Morro, start there, and do my walking tour "downhill" the rest of the day.

There's a visitor's center near the pier (lots of online maps of OSJ). They can direct you from there.

Definitely the free trolley to the forts and then walk back so the kids can get a feel for osj. We took our four kids...aged 9-15 at the time..and they loved it, take lots of water! If u head left out of the ship terminal and head to the flag poles, about 1-2 tenths of a mile along the road you can easily pick up the trolley before the terminal...not as busy. They have both open air trolleys as well as green bus like ones, all free. Look for the sign near the flag poles...also a cvs right there for any needs you may have. There was a guy outside of el morro selling shaved ice for $2. He shaved it off a block and the kids loved it!

First time in San Juan and we are travelling with our 4 kids, ages 8 to 11. Can we walk to the old Forts from the pier where Carnival docks or should we cab it?:confused:

It is an easy fun walk, esp if you go to San Cristobel first. Then walk over to El Morrow.

Here is a link to a video I posted on Youtube. It's just my walk thru the tunnels, which are nice and cool, to take a break from the sun.