Who knows the best beaches in Kauai & Maui to go Snorkeling....

Ruth

Who knows the best beaches in Kauai & Maui to go Snorkeling? My husband and I will be on a cruise in August. We have 2 days on Kauai and 2 days on Maui...We are renting a car....and plan to stop at a beach or two during our drive around the islands...Anyone with suggestions on the best areas to snorkel....

Thanks

Maui - Honolua Bay a few miles past Kapalua has consistently had the best snorkeling for me and my family. It's a marine preserve, and although the entrance is rocky the visiblity, coral, and marine life farther out is terrific. You know you're in a good spot when the snorkel catamarans come to the same place (I've always been tempted to climb aboard one while snorkeling, grab a hamburger off the grill, then wave bye-bye while swimming away.)

Good "close to condo" snorkeling is Black Rock at the Sheraton at Kaanapali, trailed by rarely visited Honokeana Cove near Napili. I visited La Perouse Bay once for snorkeling and was quite impressed (although the conditions weren't hot - quite windy and choppy).

Ruth,

In August on Kauai, the calmest waters and best snorkeling will likely be on the North Shore. If you are driving around the island (you can't go ALL the way around Kauai in a circle because the road ends at the NaPali Coast, but it's certainly worth making the trip up there, and then driving back) when you come to the end of the road on the north, you'll be at Ke'e Beach. It is a lovely little lagoon, usually with terrific snorkeling. It's becoming a popular spot, so is getting more and more crowded and harder to find parking. But it's lovely.

kee.jpg

Down a ways from Ke'e is Haena State Park and Tunnels Beach. Down by the beach park, the water is too rough for snorkeling (often good for surfing) but further on up the beach a bit the snorkeling can be great (and the beach is beautiful). Parking is readily available at the beach park, but you'll probably have to make your way down the beach several hundred yards to the good snorkeling areas, since the few parking spots close to Tunnels are usually taken up by local surfers. :)

tunnels.JPG

Also on the North Shore, is Pu'u Poa beach, at the base of the beautiful Princeville hotel. It has a great view of Hanalei Bay and is a pleasant place to just stop and relax a bit.

Hammock.jpg

A couple miles from Princeville is the road that takes you to Anini Beach. It is a 2 mile stretch of lovely beach protected by a long reef. Swimming is usually great, and snorkeling is very good a ways out from the beach into the coral near the reef, but you must be alert for currents; the water drains out in the channel to the west.

anini.jpg

On the East Shore, you can snorkel at Lydgate State Park; good for beginners. They have a life guard, restrooms, showers and is good place for a picnic.

On the South Shore, Poipu Beach Park is very popular. It also has lifeguards.

Further on down toward the West, there is Salt Pond Beach. A small little beach the locals enjoy.

There are more than that... Those are just my suggestions. If you are lucky enough to have two days -- Devote one day to the North shore, and the other to the south/west. There is SO much beauty to enjoy on Kauai.

Kris

Kris,

Are there lifeguards at Ke'e? DH and I are good swimmers but I am a bit frightened by the rip tides and waves I've heard of in Hawaiian waters.

Thanks for the great info.

Lisa

Kris,

Are there lifeguards at Ke'e? DH and I are good swimmers but I am a bit frightened by the rip tides and waves I've heard of in Hawaiian waters.

Thanks for the great info.

Lisa

Lisa, Ke'e does not currently have a lifeguard. I understand that for a while they did, but they haven't for several years. However, the lagoon is small and is very well protected except for during high surf. If the water is rough or the surf is high then there can be a strong current of water draining out of the lagoon to the west, and you should stay out of the water. But I'm more comfortable having my kids snorkeling in Ke'e than just about anywhere else. They know the area to stay away from (easy to recognize), and stay in safe waters. In all the times I have been there (probably 30 or 40) there have only been about 3 times I felt unsafe in the water due to strong current. I can feel if the pull is too strong, and they will close the beach if surf becomes too dangerous.

This pictures shows Ke'e from above, so you can see how protected the lagoon is. The area that you'd need to watch out for is that on the lower left of the picture; that's where water drains back out to the ocean by the NaPali Coast. Just stay away from that area, and stay inside the reef, and you should be fine. Also, while I'm mentioning the reef... Never stand on a reef. I was there one day when day when a man at Ke'e was foolishly standing up on the reef near the edge and a large wave came and knocked him down. He ended up on the wrong side of the reef and drown. It was very sad. So please always stay off the coral; it's dangerous for you and very damaging to the coral. :)

kee-above.jpg

Always observe the water before you enter at any beach. Note where the water flows, and whether there is a current.

This second picture is of Ke'e, taken about 20 minutes after I took the one above (I'd been on the Kalalau trail), and you can see how the waves generally break out on the reef. If the waves are breaking INSIDE the reef, then water will be rough for snorkeling and more hazardous.

kee-channel.jpg

Morning is the best time to go, both for good snorkeling, and a less crowded beach.

Hope this helps!

Kris, thanks for the input and the great pictures. You certainly have made my day. This is exactly what I want!! Morning sounds good to me too - I don't like large crowds. It also looks like there might be some shade from trees along the beach - I am fair skinned and tend to get a sun rash (ugh!) This place looks perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa

Archived