First time in the Haven!!!

redpatti

Got a great upsell deal for a Haven Courtyard Balcony and I was wondering what the average/good gratuity was for the Butler & Concierge. I am probably what is considered an "overtipper" so will most likely go above the average answer if I am getting great service.

and...

OMG I am so excited! Cruise is 18 days away!

Hi, redpatti, the week after you, on the Pearl, we're going to be in the Haven for the first time, too!

Re: tips, there are a lot of past discussions. I thought this sentence was a good summary: “We went with the recommendation of $10 per person, per day for the butler, and $5 per person, per day for the concierge. We ended up making slight adjustments based on our actual on-board experience.”

Have fun planning and a blast in the Haven on Breakaway! :)

I would tip based on what services I used, probably when I used them

As stated, there were lots of threads on this topic. $10 per person, per day for the butler seems way too high to me unless I'm using them extensively. I have a family of 5 that's pretty low maintenance, just for reference

Got a great upsell deal for a Haven Courtyard Balcony and I was wondering what the average/good gratuity was for the Butler & Concierge. I am probably what is considered an "overtipper" so will most likely go above the average answer if I am getting great service.

and...

What ship are you on?

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

There are going to be 4 adults in a 2 bedroom for a 14 day transatlantic in Oct. $ 10.00 per person per day? $ 560.00? for the butler? Better be bringing free drinks daily. I don't think so. Hardly think we are going to get that type of service?

I will be on the Breakaway December 1st with my boyfriend so just 2 of us in the cabin.

:)

Awesome. We're on the Pearl the same week and wanted to check and see if you were on the Pearl and would've invited you to our Roll Call. If you haven't already do so, make sure to check out the Roll Call for your cruise.

We travel in suites and the biggest advice I can give you regarding tipping is to tip whatever amount you feel is warranted based upon the level of service you receive from the concierge, butler, AND room steward. Even though their in the tip pool we always give our room steward a tip for taking good care of our room.

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

Hi I just booked my 2nd Haven cruise two days ago on the Breakaway. Took advantage of the kids sail free promo and saved a lot of money (which is why we booked). Last time, on a 7 night sailing, we gave $100 to the concierge, $200 to the butler, and an extra $40 to the room steward on top of her per day charge because she was excellent. There were 6 of us (3 adults, 3 kids). Using $10/person/day seemed arbitrary to me. I didn't and don't think $420 is necessary for a seven night trip for the butler. If it were only my wife and I we would still give the $200. I could have sworn we gave an extra $50 ($250 total) to the butler last time but my wife says $200. I came up with $200 prior to sailing based in part on what the room steward earns. NCL doesn't break down the $12/person/day service charge that I could find so I went off of Disney who we sailed 6 months prior to our first Haven cruise. The room steward there received $4/person/day. I used this so it came to $168 for 6 people for 7 nights. We usually give the room steward cash on top of the expected amount and did the same for the butler (have always received great service on all 14 cruises). The concierge was an arbitrary number for me but she was so great (Ruth) and I felt that was a very fair amount to give. Why use the room steward as a base? IMO they spend the same amount of time tending to my room each day as the butler might. Different duties but time wise I had anticipated what I would use the butler for and couldn't see it being more that the steward does. I hope this helps you come up with a number.

So you know, I asked the butler to have a bucket of beer delivered anytime she saw me or the wife down to one beer. And to have a couple of pints of milk on hand in the fridge for my kids. She delivered dinner to the room twice & lunch once I believe. We borrowed a movie on two nights. Each afternoon she brought snacks and had them waiting for when we returned to our room. This (snacks) they should all do w/o you asking (I never asked). We ordered mixed drinks a bunch of times (maybe 5). So I'd say she needed to do something for us an average of 3 times per day. So I feel just over $28 per day is acceptable ($9+ per visit, even 4 visits is still $7/visit). She also came by frequently to see if we needed anything. I tip $5 for a pizza someone drives 2 miles to deliver so I also felt fine knowing I was giving more per "deliver" than this.

I did not give anything to the courtyard butler as his service was really poor. I was actually surprised he was working in the suite area as his service was not top notch (nice guy, slower than any wait staff I've even seen). I would have had no problem tipping him for good service though.

By the way…good service is getting what you ask for…great service is in the Haven where they do things for you before you know you even wanted it! My don't like the crust on their sandwiches so the next day's afternoon snack of PB&J sandwiches came with the crust cut off! My son only nibbled on chicken finders at in room dinner and my daughter joked that he only like potato chips. Next afternoon snack don't you know a bowl of potato chips cover neatly with cling wrap! Lonnie was the best!

I hope this is of help. I look forward to other feedback since my method isn't scientific by any means. I had asked the concierge what people give to the butler and she wouldn't even give a range so it's tough to tell.

You will love it there. I'm sure you deserve it so enjoy it. PS the best part is the private dining at breakfast and lunch.

and...

I know this gets varied responses....but also understand that you probably want REAL answers....and can then do your "own" thing....

We were two passengers in two bedroom Haven Suite for 16 day cruise a month ago.....here is what we chose to give......

Concierge. $600

Butler $400

Cabin Attendant additional $250

Haven Attendant. $100

Also paid the service charges of $12 per day.....tipped $1 to $2 per drink/soda....as well as $10 to $20 per meal in specialty restaurants......

Just our experience and decisions......you will have to decide what works for you. We never went to shows, used priority tendering, etc.....but it was "there" if we needed it......DID call concierge for dinner reservations in spec restaurants 12 out of 16 days.....requested favorite Veuve champagne and diet Pepsi to be stocked in fridge at all times.....other than that.....no special requests were made.

Hope you have as great a time as we did!

This is great information and exactly what I was looking for! I always try to use what others did as a baseline and then tip what I feel I can do and what is warranted. As I said earlier, I usually tip well because these folks usually go above and beyond to earn these gratuities and at the same time they make my vacation even more enjoyable. I'm so happy to do it!

Thank you to everyone who answered me - I really do appreciate the input and conversation!

It's this kind of feedback that makes cruise critic the great forum that it is!

I'm so excited!!!! Yay! The Haven! :) :)

I travel with my mom. We use the $10 pppd for concierge and butler. We tip extra for steward. Last time $100. We were on 11 nighter on Sun. I left $5 each time I ate breakfast or lunch in the suite venue.

JMHO, if I had additional pax in same suite would tip less pp for those if the things being done did not include extra work such as dinner reservations. However, if it was a case where each person had separate and specific needs and requests the tips for pax 3 and 4 would be higher.

If each suite gave the concierge $600 or even close to that--well you do the math!!!!

I want that job!!!

Really? 7 days a week. 16 to 20 hour days?

20 suites on Sun. 7 day cruise. $140 x 20 = $2,800 x 52 weeks = $145,600 or $25 hour. That is if everybody tips high. How many stiff them? I am sure tis is their livelihood. Not salary. The concierge is an Officer of the Ship. Personally, I don't care how much they make if they enhance my vacation. If I can afford a suite I should be able to afford the tips that go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Really? 7 days a week. 16 to 20 hour days?

20 suites on Sun. 7 day cruise. $140 x 20 = $2,800 x 52 weeks = $145,600 or $25 hour. That is if everybody tips high. How many stiff them? I am sure tis is their livelihood. Not salary. The concierge is an Officer of the Ship. Personally, I don't care how much they make if they enhance my vacation. If I can afford a suite I should be able to afford the tips that go with it.

Your absolutely right. You should tip according to how you feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OK, I have a question.

Do you guys tip the Haven Restaurant Servers each meal, at end of cruise or didn't at all.

Thank you.

I tip $5 at each meal. First suite cruise figured to tip at end. But it was too hard to chase them down individually.

Since the butler and concierge are not included in the DSC and they are there for the convenience of the Suite passengers, why not start your tipping based on the cost of your suite?

A nice dinner out and you don't think twice about plunking down a $20 (or more) on a hundred dollar tab. Customary tipping for good service is around 15%-18%, so start there. Once you get onboard and experience how much your butler and concierge add to your cruise experience ( if you choose to let them), tip them accordingly.

As for me, our family booked a SE on the Star last year and set aside 18% of the cruise fare for tipping our cabin staff, including the steward. I assumed we would make good use of the butler, since my wife is mobility limited but I had no idea that the concierge could be so useful. Assistance getting us on and off the ship quickly and easily. Dinner seating when the restaurant was full. Excursions at the last minute - and a host of other things that I simply can't recall right now. I am a take charge person that can make his own reservations for dinner...but the right concierge get it done far better than I. Ask a question and have 3 or 4 options presented to you. Choose one and everything falls into place.

At the end of the cruise, I added a bit to the original 18% and felt that every dime given was worth it and then some. We'll be doing the same thing next year on the Dawn.

Here's wishing you smooth seas!

Edited by Walt724

Customary tipping for good service is around 15%-18%, so start there. quote]

That might be what it is from where you are from but around me, the Philadelphia, DE, NJ, CT, NY area it's actually 18 - 20%. I didn't think anyone still thought it was 15% !

Harriet

I tip $5 at each meal. First suite cruise figured to tip at end. But it was too hard to chase them down individually.

Thank you.

I will do on a daily basis. I thought they would be the same servers all week and I would see them. Thanks again.