Harwich Cruise Train

5onadime

This is a most helpful post.

Question: We are staying near Victoria Station and plan to purchase an oyster card at Heathrow and ride the tube to Victoria Station. I read somewhere that the best places to change lines is Hammersmith or Barons Court. Which of these would be easiest with our luggage (1 piece each).

Also, we plan to take the regular train on sailing day to Harwich. We don't have mobility problems, but being from the suburbs in the US, we are not accustom to tube/train travel and all it entails. I don't think we will have a problem changing trains at Manningtree if it is a matter of going down 1 flight and up 1 another flight of stairs. I assume there is clear signage and the station isn't large.

Question: Is it possible to get a train ticket from Liverpool Street Station to Harwich on cruise day (Monday, May 12) or do we need to get it in advance? Also, how far in advance should we purchase them? Do the trains get full and do prices rise the closer it gets to travel day?

I would love to think we could take the tube from Victoria to the Liverpool Street Station, but it is a Monday and I am afraid it would be too crowded and difficult with our luggage. So, does anyone know about how much the taxi fare would be? I know they have a surcharge if called, but are taxis easy to get without calling one? We are staying on Belgrave.

I still believe the taxi/train combo would be cheaper, faster and almost as easy as the toolkit bus at 59 pounds per person.

Thanks again for your help.

Ava

Tube transfer:

of two tube trains leaving Barons Court. The closer one is a Picadilly line train (from LHR). The far one is a District Line train. I'm pretty sure these are eastbound trains, so if so that platform would be the distance of your transfer.

Train to Harwich: while perfectly possible to buy tickets day of travel, you'll probably pay less if you purchase ahead of time. This service is essentially a commuter train, so doubt it could sell out.

Not sure how much a taxi would be... I'm afraid you'll need to be a bit more specific than 'Belgrave' - my London streetfinder lists at least 25 roadways with 'Belgrave' in their name... :D

Up to about £15 in a black cab from Victoria to Liverpool Street, but as Twickenham says "on Belgrave" is not useful in London. The American habit of dropping the Street, Square, Avenue or whatever can get the unwary traveller delivered to entirely the wrong part of London. You will be able to hail a cab in any main street.