Can you advise on my itinerary plan for Port Vila?

When we get to Port Vila we would like to get off the ship and go to hideaway island then back to town to do a Zego safari tour at 2pm, this is a 60 mins tour. We would like to finish by going to the duty free shop then go back to the ship.

There are three of us and I am wondering what would be our best bet for making this happen? Should we wing it and get a taxi out to get the boat to hideaway island and then try and catch a taxi back to town? Would this be easy to do or would we risk being stranded without a way back to town? Should we try and pre-book a driver for the day and have him wait for us while we are doing the activities? Or should we wait and try and negotiate a driver for the day when we get to Port Vila? What would be a fair price for the day? Alternatively does anyone have a driver recommendation?

If you get a taxi from the wharf, they will be happy to wait for you whilst you are at Hideaway Island, just pay half up front and half when you have finished with his services at the end of the day.

We had a taxi driver in Vila this year who took us on an island tour, then dropped us off in the town and picked us up at an agreed time and took us back to the ship. We just picked one when we got off the ship, no need to pre-book.

You can also arrange for a driver to take you to Hideaway and then return to collect you at an agreed time. We do this as it's cheaper since the driver can go off and earn some more money in the meantime.

We only pay after we have been picked up so no risk of being stranded at all :)

We did the Zego safari (prebooked before we left) which was fantastic fun. We also walked a little further along the waterfront and went parasailing - I took my camera up with me and have awesome pictures of Vila and our ship from above. I

We just chose one of the taxis (there are hoards of them waiting at the port) from the ship into town for $10 for 4 of us and then hailed another one back.