Bucharest to Budapest November 22, 2013

roberts2005

It is less than a week before we leave for Bucharest to join the Viking Aegir. This will be our fourth Viking River Cruise, but the first on a long ship.

Things are looking good, Viking has upgraded us from our balcony cabin to a suite, room 316. So for those of you who have asked on these boards, yes upgrades are possible.

A suggestion to Viking. While the little booklets you send out are nice, it might make more sense to email the information so that we can print out or have the information on our ipads or computers..

I will be taking and using my ipad through out the trip and will try to provide details and updates, time permitting.

Robert S.

Have a wonderful trip!

Something that I was just thinking about re: Bucharest ---

We sailed in the opposite direction so the day we got off the ship to be bussed to Bucharest we had everything with us. We did a city tour that morning/afternoon including the amazing People's Palace where we were required to give our passports at the entrance which they kept until we exited (felt a little weird but no one had problems with getting them back). But I was wondering if you're starting in Bucharest do they make sure to tell you to have your passport with you when you go on the city tour. Normally I would have mine locked in the hotel safe and not carry it around. I guess some people always carry theirs but I don't.

Anyway, just mentioning it so you can be prepared with your passport the day you do the Bucharest tour - although I'm sure Viking makes certain everyone knows that beforehand.

Have a wonderful trip!

Something that I was just thinking about re: Bucharest ---

We sailed in the opposite direction so the day we got off the ship to be bussed to Bucharest we had everything with us. We did a city tour that morning/afternoon including the amazing People's Palace where we were required to give our passports at the entrance which they kept until we exited (felt a little weird but no one had problems with getting them back). But I was wondering if you're starting in Bucharest do they make sure to tell you to have your passport with you when you go on the city tour. Normally I would have mine locked in the hotel safe and not carry it around. I guess some people always carry theirs but I don't.

Anyway, just mentioning it so you can be prepared with your passport the day you do the Bucharest tour - although I'm sure Viking makes certain everyone knows that beforehand.

Thank you I will keep that in mind. I would think we will do tour after we check out. Same bus will probably take us to the ship/ I will let you know about size of groups.

"I will let you know about size of groups."

I would like to know that. Even if yours are big like ours were it was not a miserable experience or anything, just a little unwieldy.

The Viking rep that called me said that should not have been the case and maybe they needed to hire more guides for that itinerary...she was going to check with the overseas office. Anyway, you'll have a great time no matter how many are in a group I'm sure :)

Thank you I will keep that in mind. I would think we will do tour after we check out. Same bus will probably take us to the ship/ I will let you know about size of groups.

Yes, you check out and then start the tour of Bucharest.

We did find the tour involved quite a bit of back-tracking on the bus... but this was so that all groups could see all places - and not have everyone in the same place at the same time.

We all met up for (a very late) lunch - and then went to the boat from there.

One woman fell coming out of the restaurant. Our guide warned us about the step, and the fact that the astro-turf carpeting could be a bit slippery. Not everyone got that warning - and one dear soul ended up falling and breaking her hip.

Also - there are quite a few steps in the People's Palace (no elevators....). Again, our guide warned us - so some opted to stay outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.

Fran

Edited by franski

franski - wow, that's awful - so sorry for that woman. We had one lady trip and fall at our restaurant on the Bucharest tour also (altho' honestly I could be getting confused with a different restaurant on the trip). There were little flower beds out in front with chains around them and she didn't see the chain and tripped. Thankfully there were no broken bones in her case.

Watch your step, Robert :)

On our Viking River Cruise Amsterdam to Basel it began with a canal boat cruise inside Amsterdam. An older lady while exiting the canal boat exited through an open railing right into the canal. Thankfully she was not hurt. She did lose her glasses.

Fran,

We and our friends are flying in a day early to Bucharest. So, we will have one whole day on our own to tour around town. I didn't realize the People's Palace was included on Viking's tour; I thought it was just a drive-by. So, now I need to re-evaluate what we'll do with our free time. You didn't do the HOHO bus, did you?

Becki

Fran,

We and our friends are flying in a day early to Bucharest. So, we will have one whole day on our own to tour around town. I didn't realize the People's Palace was included on Viking's tour; I thought it was just a drive-by. So, now I need to re-evaluate what we'll do with our free time. You didn't do the HOHO bus, did you?

Becki

Becki -

No, we didn't.

We just arrived the day before - so only had a few hours on our own. We chose to extend on the other end (in Budapest).

One couple that we met arrived early in the day so walked down to "old town". I understand there is lots to see wandering around there.

Fran

Fran,

Becki

Becki.

We took the HOHO bus in Bucharest, and it was very worthwhile. We spent several days in Bucharest, so it was helpful to get a good orientation on the bus. The bus also goes by the Old Town restaurant area, but only on the outside of it. It is a pedestrian zone, and is wonderful. We had a great time there.

Hope you like Bucharest as much as we did!:)

Becki.

We took the HOHO bus in Bucharest, and it was very worthwhile. We spent several days in Bucharest, so it was helpful to get a good orientation on the bus. The bus also goes by the Old Town restaurant area, but only on the outside of it. It is a pedestrian zone, and is wonderful. We had a great time there.

Hope you like Bucharest as much as we did!:)

Do you recall how late the HOHo bus runs.?

Judy,

Thanks for the info. My husband and I are big walkers, but the wife of the couple we are traveing with has kjnee problems, and don't want to tire her out our first day or cause a flare up. So, I was hoping the HOHO bus would be a good option to do some sightseeing w/o her having to walk too much. You've confirmed that, and I'm beyond thrilled! :D. Was there a stop near your hotel?

H2Ostr, great map! Thx! I had tried a couple of times to go to Romania's tourism site but the link was not working, and hadn't gotten around to pursuing other sites.

Robert,

Hope I haven't hijacked your thread with all my questions. :)

Becki

"So, I was hoping the HOHO bus would be a good option to do some sightseeing w/o her having to walk too much. You've confirmed that, and I'm beyond thrilled! :D. Was there a stop near your hotel?"

There is a bus stop about 2 blocks from the Raddison Blu Hotel. I can't remember how late the bus ran, but I think it was only until about 6 p.m. I'm not sure about that, however.

Enjoy!

" I was hoping the HOHO bus would be a good option to do some sightseeing w/o her having to walk too much. Was there a stop near your hotel?"

There is a bus stop about 2 blocks from the Raddison Blu Hotel.

Enjoy!

We are staying at the Radisson, so that will be perfect!

Thx!

Becki

We are in Bucharest staying at the Raddison

Weather is in mid 50's with 100 per cent humidity. Cool and damp. The HOHO bus stopped running November 1 for season.

Luggage needs to be out by 7:00 and we leave for tour at 9:00

Was told 187 people and 4 busses. Seems like a lot per bus, but will find out tomorrow

I think that's what we had - 4 busses (A,B,C,D - don't remember an E!).

Have you enjoyed everything so far? We thought the Radisson in Bucharest was very nice, hope you had a good stay there.

Enjoy your cruise!

Did not do much yet. Weather is damp and overcast. We were going to do HOHO but it was not running. Just walked a bit and took a few public busses to get a feel of city. Still trying to adjust to time, hope we will enjoy today. Typing this at 5:30 AM as can't sleep anymore.

I guess you're on the ship by now - hope the tour in Bucharest went well.

The only thing we didn't enjoy on our Bucharest tour was when we went to the Village museum (which I was very interested in) we had to wait for the whole Viking group to use the restroom before the guides would start. So everyone lined up like sheep and it took a looooong time. We ended up only having the chance to see a couple of the structures. If doing it again I'd have gotten the time to meet the group back at the bus and just gone around on my own for the hour or whatever they give you there.

Anyway, happy cruising :)

I guess you're on the ship by now - hope the tour in Bucharest went well.

The only thing we didn't enjoy on our Bucharest tour was when we went to the Village museum (which I was very interested in) we had to wait for the whole Viking group to use the restroom before the guides would start. So everyone lined up like sheep and it took a looooong time. We ended up only having the chance to see a couple of the structures. If doing it again I'd have gotten the time to meet the group back at the bus and just gone around on my own for the hour or whatever they give you there.

Anyway, happy cruising :)

We went there first this morning, direct from hotel. The guide walked us to a few buildings and than left us our own. No problem with waiting for anyone using the bathroom. The only issue I had was that most buildings were closed and you could not view the inside