Transportation from Quebec to Boston

Had anyone rented a car at the port in Quebec? Has anyone drove from Quebec to Boston? Our cruise will end in Quebec, and I am wondering what will be the best way to get back to our own car in Boston. Thanks ahead of time.:)

This may be tricky - not saying its not imposible however you may get hasseled at the border and/or denied entry back to the US. The reason is you will have taken other transportation (cruise) into Canada into the US and even though you are a US citizen (I'm assuming since your car will be in Boston) it will actually look like your trying to import a car into the US without paying the proper taxes. Usually when it comes to rental cars they don't care that the car doesn't belong to you if you will be returning back (either from US-Canada-US or Canada-US-Canada).

Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure if car rental places will allow a one-way that does not end in the same country as the origion of the reservation. I could be wrong but I think your best bet is to either fly, take the train, or take a bus back to Boston.

This may be tricky - not saying its not imposible however you may get hasseled at the border and/or denied entry back to the US. The reason is you will have taken other transportation (cruise) into Canada into the US and even though you are a US citizen (I'm assuming since your car will be in Boston) it will actually look like your trying to import a car into the US without paying the proper taxes. Usually when it comes to rental cars they don't care that the car doesn't belong to you if you will be returning back (either from US-Canada-US or Canada-US-Canada).

Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure if car rental places will allow a one-way that does not end in the same country as the origion of the reservation. I could be wrong but I think your best bet is to either fly, take the train, or take a bus back to Boston.

They will. I've done 1-way drop-offs from Vancouver to Seattle several times. And when we did the BOS - QC trip, I rented a car in Toronto, dropped it in Boston, and then took the train home from QC to Toronto.

I've also rented a car from Hertz in Quebec City which is not far from the pier.

Have you looked into trains from QC to BOS? (I haven't...but it's another mode of transport).

Stephen

My husband did a 1 way rental Toronto- CT when his flight was cancelled. No problem. I would also suggest Amtrak as a better option though

The trains from Quebec City (VIA) >>>>Montreal>>>> (AMTRAK) New York Penn station >>>>Boston (BOS) would be approx. 220-250 PP. Long trip too.

To rent a car in Quebec City, and I'm pretty sure you can take it across the border, but you'd have to check, would be around $400 give or take a bit.

You really should check with various modes of transportation, trains, planes and automobiles. :)

Had anyone rented a car at the port in Quebec? Has anyone drove from Quebec to Boston? Our cruise will end in Quebec, and I am wondering what will be the best way to get back to our own car in Boston. Thanks ahead of time.:)

I would consider flying if possible. The drive from Quebec to Boston is long and if you have bad weather it could be unpleasant.

Check Porter Air. Rates are very good and they frequently offer specials.

A few years ago, DH rented a car in PVD to take his Mom on a CD/NE cruise[could not get a one way rental to cross the border through a MA auto rental place]. Crossing into CD, he got questioned, searched, and questioned again. Border patrol/immigration could not understand how someone with a MA license was driving a car with RI registration. Luckily, my MIL, a French professor, told the guy what she thought of the over zealous reception.

Darcy

We are doing this (sort of ) and I looked at train, plane and auto, lol.

We are going to Quebec, taking the train to Montreal (3 hours) can get seats as low as 29 as long as advance book, flying to Boston ( just over an hour flight) air Canada, approx 200 ticket. This was the quickest, and very reasonable way. Spending three days at each city though.