Just booked with 6 month in tow

flcruiser08

Remember that Carnival really does not offer anything for that age. If you want a bit of time off you can go the first night to Camp Carnival and see if any of the staff does private babysitting. This is for CASH money paid directly to the staffer and it's not always available.

Be aware that most ports the cabs do NOT have car-seats or anything to put a baby in regardless of local rules. I've seen kids hanging out windows, running around the backseat, etc. with no seat belt, same with the adults. If taking a car seat consider one of the "convertible" ones that can be used at dining or carrying the darling around.

Please realize that the child is precious to you, darling as all get out, makes funny noises and is generally just wonderful.... everybody else thinks that about their kids but not about yours (or anyone else's). Don't take this wrong, just trying to help... Finally I would really consider leaving the child with relatives and go for a much needed getaway. At 6 months only you will remember the child's first cruise.

No relatives to leave her with :( my expectations aren't high and it's only a 4 day, I'm just happy not to have to cook or clean and have that comfy carnival bed! Don't worry if she gets cranky which she very rarely does, I'll leave the room as I don't want to ruin anyone's vacation.

No relatives to leave her with :( my expectations aren't high and it's only a 4 day, I'm just happy not to have to cook or clean and have that comfy carnival bed! Don't worry if she gets cranky which she very rarely does, I'll leave the room as I don't want to ruin anyone's vacation.

I'm sure you will have a great time, just be aware... that's all I was trying to help with. We went on a cruise with the first when she was 2, barely. We remember it, and did enjoy it BUT she has no memory. Next time we took the kids they were 8 and 4 and both remember it, more for the 8 YO.

Sounds like you are going in with the right expectations. Have a wonderful cruise!

I don't have kids yet, but I know we will cruise with them when we do.

I always find it interesting when people say not to take babies on a cruise because they will have no memory of it. By that logic babies shouldn't have to leave the house until they are over 2. Babies don't have memories of anything, yet we take them to the park, the zoo, out to eat, to take photos with Santa, dress them up for Halloween, go to the pumpkin patch, etc. Why not a cruise?

I'm sure a baby that age would find all the sights, smells and sounds on a cruise ship very stimulating. And her parents will certainly cherish the memories! Granted it's not the same as cruising without a baby but so what? I'm sure they will have a nice time!

I have been on two cruises with my 21 month old (1 when she ways 6 months and 1 at 11 months) and we are booked on another in march when she is two.

If let me say that we had a great time. I don't leave my daughter over night with anyone and we love to cruise so we took her with us.

Advice I would give.

1. You have to bring everything you need. Diapers, Wipes, Milk, baby food(if she is eating solids by then). They don't have any on the ship.

2. Be prepared for it to be different cruise then before kids.

3. Camp carnival only has time usually in the morning during sea day or late at night that they will keep child under 2 for a fee. They also have time where you can take them to camp carnival and stay with them and play or free.

4. We didn't do any really active tours. we just went to the beach one day and did an island town.

5. Babies in diapers are not allowed in the pools or water areas.

I will say it again. We have had a wonderful time cruising with our daughter. It has been different cruise then before we had kids but still lots of fun and the crew loved her. We have to cruise so we knew we didn't want to wait til she was old and I wasn't leaving her with anyone. Having fun

Funny... I was talking with a work colleague just this morning about vacationing with kids. He has two young daughters - the younger one just turned 1 - and I'm old enough to be his mother.:eek: He's thinking about a Disney cruise next Christmas.

Six months was a great age for our sons; they were sleeping through the night, but they weren't yet mobile.:p You really just need to be very flexible. There may be nights when you will need to have dinner on the Lido deck, or order room service. Just go with the flow. A good stroller will help so if the baby wants to sleep, you can still be on deck.

As for when to start this type of traveling with your kids - there is a nine-year spacing between my oldest and youngest sons. If we had waited to take vacations (other than camping or the beach) until youngest son could appreciate them, the oldest would have been well into his teens and reaching the point when he could no longer go with us. (The youngest is now 13 and the oldest hasn't vacationed with us in 5 years.) We didn't start cruising until our youngest was 4, and I really wish we had discovered cruising earlier.

We waited till she would enjoy it, took a cruising hiatus. Now we plan ports around her making worksheets with culture, puzzles, local foods and try to visit a school or orphanage with her to see other kids.

A big reason why we also waited...costs!!!

hated to pay for her when she would have no recollection. Land vacation was better.

What week in January and what cabin are you in? I may want to change my cabin!

J/K I think it's great that you take your kids on vacation with you.

We always took our 4 kids with us at all ages through out their lives. The experiences they had and memories we all have are cherished forever.

Enjoy your vacation.

You will have a great time. Take lots of pictures! When she is grown and blesses you with grandchildren I guarantee that the grandchildren will love sitting with you looking at photos of their mom as a baby. Mine have loved that. Memories aren't just for kids, they are for you and for you to share with future generations. I know this because I am "older than dirt" and have done this with my grandchildren.

We didn't start cruising till my daughter(only child) was 10. I wished that we had discovered it when she was a little younger. I don't know if I would have tried it at that age but only you know your child and what you are capable of doing with her.

As long as you are considerate of others and remember that a crying baby will probably be heard in the next cabins as well as in the dining room, etc. You will be fine.

My daughter is almost 20 and off at college now and I think she really appreciates the cruises that we took her on, the places we went and the things she was able to see and do. I think you will have a great cruise and even if the baby won't remember it, you will:) and can tell her all about her first cruise when she is older.

Edited by Mysticks1

Finally I would really consider leaving the child with relatives and go for a much needed getaway. At 6 months only you will remember the child's first cruise.

Nothing says family vacation like leaving your family home. :rolleyes:

OP, check out the family boards to get more positive advice about the decision you've already made and paid for.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Booked to go on the paradise in jan. me and hubby love cruising so figured we would start the baby out early, hope I'm not too crazy :). Any tips or advice?

We started taking our kids (ages 5,5 and 7) on vacation with us starting when our youngest was 5 months old - and love it! Our family lives 1,000 miles away, so getaways as a couple our infrequent. We love our time together as a family. After each of our vacations I have made a photo book so we can share memories of all the fun places we've been with the kids. Have a wonderful time - and enjoy!! They grow up too fast!

You will have a great time. Even if it's just you who remember the trip with your daughter it will be worth it. Don't take anything for granted. I took all three adult sons, spouses, and grandkids on the Spirit. One grandson was six and one was 18 months. 18 months later our daughter in law passed away at age 41. We love the photos and memories.