No more private Cabanas?

GeezerCouple

Don't know whether there will be space to view or not. On Marina/Riviera the putting space is so close to the windscreens it is difficult to face forward standing upright without standing on the "greens".

Don't know whether there will be space to view or not. On Marina/Riviera the putting space is so close to the windscreens it is difficult to face forward standing upright without standing on the "greens".

...which is why this change is really awful, especially for cruises like Panama Canal, Kiel Canal transit, etc. where one wants to spend some time sitting or reclining outdoors, facing forward.

We would happily book a cabana, and did so for the original Marina Panama Canal transits, and later cancelled when we learned about the extensive putting area on the top deck.

I don't mind so much that the private cabanas won't be available, but mind very much that we won't be able to sit or lounge, facing forward, for such special itineraries. Kiel Canal transit is on our bucket list.

Will there at least be chairs or padded loungers up top to see to the side?

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

We would happily book a cabana, and did so for the original Marina Panama Canal transits, and later cancelled when we learned about the extensive putting area on the top deck.

Will there at least be chairs or padded loungers up top to see to the side?

Marina does not have cabañas but does have the larger putting greens. Regatta does most of the Canal transits, I think Marina only did a back 'n forth in the inaugural season and as of this Spring there will be no opportunity to have a cabana on any of O's ships.

No chairs or loungers, sadly just the putting area. But then there will be no complaints with chair hogs!

Marina does not have cabañas but does have the larger putting greens. Regatta does most of the Canal transits, I think Marina only did a back 'n forth in the inaugural season and as of this Spring there will be no opportunity to have a cabana on any of O's ships.

No chairs or loungers, sadly just the putting area. But then there will be no complaints with chair hogs!

If there are fewer loungers and chairs on the top deck, then those who would have spent their time lounging up top will now crowd the pool deck, so the likelihood of chair & lounge hogs is significantly increased, overall.

The way the R-class ships are now, there is more room for people to lounge on two different decks.

From my observation, most people prefer lounging around, enjoying drinks and chatting with friends, and putting greens are only an occasional distraction. Since one does not usually drink and putt at the same time, this could cut down on beer, wine and cocktail sales, too.

Plus, the putting greens are not at all pretty.

On all our cruises on the R ships we have rarely seen anyone use the cabanas. This may be why they were not put on the O ships and are being removed from the others. Our balcony is our private outdoor space and we love it.

Well your balcony is always attached to the Owner's Suite, aft, if I am not mistaken. Those balconies are far larger than standard and even PH balconies. It's a lovely place to be sure, (we had an Owner's Suite, too), but there are only 10 large balconies on the R-ships that accommodate luxury loungers and tables.

How about more nice loungers for the folks that do not occupy the top suites?

What are you talking about?

There are literally hundreds of them

First off, we are discussing only the R-ships, i.e. Regatta, Nautica and Insignia, and your top pool picture is of O-class, i.e. Marina or Riviera.

Secondly, on our cruise on Regatta, the lovely loungers shown in your second picture (R-class), were often fully occupied, though we did get to enjoy them on numerous occasions when people were off the ship exploring Alaskan ports. I love those loungers in the lower picture.

Once the loungers on the top deck on the R-class ships are removed and replaced with large putting tees/mini-golf, then anyone who would have used either the cabanas or any other lounger or chair that will be moved to make room for the golf greens will have to go elsewhere, i.e. down to either the pool deck or the side promenade decks.

I am surprised at your reaction to my post since you, more than anyone else in the Oceania forum, championed the private cabanas and extolled their virtues.

Your posts and pictures caused us to book a private cabana on Marina in the first place. You said you were disappointed they were being removed on Marina. Do you even cruise on the R-ships anymore now that the bigger ships are in the fleet?

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

Sorry, the rest of your sentence 'to the side' did not register and I was just thinking of loungers replacing cabañas at the front. There are indeed loungers on that deck and often occupied by those who definitely are not interested in shade.

First off, as much as I appreciate your knowledge of the ships, we have to be careful about being too specific here because 80% of the people who read this don't recognize any differences and assume that the facilities on all of the ships are identical.

Believe me, I have the emails to back up my statistics :o

Secondly, they cannot make the Putting Green on the R ships too large, because the base of the ships' Mast is in the way.

Oceania_Regatta_014.JPG

All kinds of navigational equipment and antennas are mounted there

img5220b57b81ced.jpg

So there will still be plenty of room for lounge chairs on deck 11.

cabanas.jpg As there are now.

. Since one does not usually drink and putt at the same time, this could cut down on beer, wine and cocktail sales, too.

Plus, the putting greens are not at all pretty.

Well...That's one of the reasons I go to the golf course and the way I play and putt drinking goes hand in hand..... Does wonders for the experience.

Maybe you should try it ?

Once the loungers on the top deck on the R-class ships are removed and replaced with large putting tees/mini-golf, then anyone who would have used either the cabanas or any other lounger or chair that will be moved to make room for the golf greens will have to go elsewhere, i.e. down to either the pool deck or the side promenade decks.

?

You mean having to mingle with "those people" around a common pool. How could they be so insensitive.. I mean really.

You mean having to mingle with "those people" around a common pool. How could they be so insensitive.. I mean really.

That's not what anyone said, and your comment sounds very snarky.

It's not the loss of private cabanas that is a problem. It's the loss of teak decking and loungers

Assuming there are, for example, 50 loungers on a top sun deck (I have seen about that many in pictures of R-ships, not counting cabanas), how are you going to accommodate those people in fewer loungers? There's no room for extra loungers on the main pool deck.

I think these huge golf putting areas are very unattractive, especially as they are exposed to the elements, and they make it difficult for passengers to get a good top-side look both forward and to the sides of the ship. Also, some folks can't stand still for a long time to view, even if they can walk.

Here are some examples from Marina: that show the difficulties passengers face trying to get a good sea view. There doesn't appear to be anyone seated, either.

Oceania_Marina_outside_golf%20(12).JPG

Oceania_Marina_outside_golf%20(13).JPG

Oceania_Marina_outside_golf%20(14).JPG

Gee, don't those folks look comfortable. :rolleyes:

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

I think the worries about enough seating are somewhat overblown. After all, there are, what, 10 cabanas? That's all that's going to be lost -- and replaced with a 9-hole putting course. All the other lounges/seating on that deck should remain the same. I don't thing the loss of 10 lounges (which were rarely used, anyway) is going to overcrowd any other areas.

We had the corner port cabana for an entire 16-day Panama Canal cruise two years ago on Regatta, on the "open" side (the putting cage, green and shuffleboard are on the starboard side, leaving only the port side for additional loungers. Therefore, we had the opportunity to study the use of that portion of the deck relatively closely on our cruise.

There are loungers built for 2 in each cabana. One other cabana was used for the entire trip (two total) and two more for the Panama Canal crossing. Eight people on its busiest day. There are other loungers stacked up on the starboard side that deck, but they can't be laid out before you need them because of the possibility the wind would move them around. During the entire 16 days I say, maybe, a dozen people use the loungers up on that deck.

As I said before, the current configuration of that deck means it is underutilized. The cabanas-to-putting green change is no meaningful loss of seating, folks.

This entire conversation is moot, IMHO because the Elevators don't service deck 11, and there isn't a bathroom up there.

Unless the renovations address those issues (which I doubt, because the top decks of both Marina & Riviera lack the same features), it seems unlikely that passengers will patronize the lounge chairs up there, no matter how high quality they may be.

FYI- For those who want a cabana one last time, you may wish to cruise prior to the $50 million upgrade. For those who wish to cruise after the upgrade, the date are listed below:

Insignia will make her debut on the 8th May 2014 in Barcelona when she embarks on a Jewels of Europe voyage

The Nautica will make her debut in Civitavecchia on the 16th May 2014 for a nine-night Cliffs and Coves cruise.

The Regatta will debut on the 7th June 2014 in Vancouver for a nine-night Majesty of Alaska voyage.

REF:

Oceania Announces $50 Million Upgrade Project

27 November 2013

In a recent announcement Oceania Cruises issued more information about the biggest upgrade programme in the cruise line’s history. During the second quarter of 2014, the company’s three R-class ships, Insignia, Regatta and Nautica will undergo a transformation that will cost $50 million.

Retaining the intimacy, warmth and charm the cruise line’s passengers have come to love, all public areas, cabins and suites will be fitted with stylish new furniture and décor.

During the refit programme a large number of the design elements and amenities that made their debut on the company’s new ships will be added to Insignia, Regatta and Nautica, including the world class grill in the Terrace Café, and Baristas, the cruise line’s trademark specialty coffee bar.

The president of Oceania Cruises, Kunal S. Kamlani, said that the cruise line was thrilled for this chance to incorporate many of the interior design elements and other features from their acclaimed ships Riviera and Marina to Insignia, Regatta and Nautica.

He added: “Not only does it enrich and enhance the guest experience, it underscores our commitment to providing our guests with a consistently outstanding experience across the entire fleet.”

The virtually brand new Insignia will make her debut on the 8th May 2014 in Barcelona when she embarks on a Jewels of Europe voyage. This will be the ship’s first cruise after returning from a two-year charter. The Nautica will make her debut in Civitavecchia on the 16th May 2014 for a nine-night Cliffs and Coves cruise. The Regatta will debut on the 7th June 2014 in Vancouver for a nine-night Majesty of Alaska voyage.

Author – Anna Biggs

Would you be unhappy enough to cancel your cruise?? What if the weather is bad..LOL

:-)

I did cancel two cruises on Marina (two bookings on the canal transits) in 2011 when she was new because I didn't like the golf putting courses in place of the cabanas and other forward-facing seating. The pictures I posted of people having to stand in front of the huge golf greens on Marina to see out shows my concerns were well-founded. I can't stand still for long periods on hard surfaces (can walk, but not stand still), and I know others who have the same limitation.

I also did not like the complete lack of promenade or half-promenade seating or access on O-class ships. I like to hang around outside, facing the sea, and I love the inside-outside seating in the patio area which faces the sea, too, though not for forward-view transits.

After canceling the Marina bookings, we booked and went on a 14-night voyage with Regatta to Alaska, and we loved it.

Because it was a very late-season Alaska cruise, we knew the weather would not be optimal to book a cabana (so we did not) and in most Alaskan ports the weather was indeed drizzly, though it was lovely in San Francisco, Astoria, Victoria and Vancouver. One always takes a chance with weather, although we do try our best to go peak season, if it is available. We have been cruising since the mid-1980's, so we have a lot of experience, especially with Alaska and the Pacific Coast and Mexico. We knew we'd get some iffy weather, and of course, did not consider canceling. (Cancel for bad weather? No way. Maybe you were joking?)

We would definitely book a cabana on, for example, a Kiel Canal Transit; however, the loss of private cabanas does not bother me (I have stated this before), although the loss of forward-facing chairs and loungers will, if that is what the design prohibits.

On the other hand—and looking on the bright side—if the putting greens/mini-golf is far enough back from the windscreens to allow for public loungers and chairs and room for people to pass behind them, then we would still be interested. We did occasionally go up to the top deck and sightsee there, but admittedly not when it rained.

Having said all that, we would still consider cruises on any Oceania ship, but would probably book elsewhere for itineraries for which a forward view is important.

As far as I know—and I don't read the Azamara forum much—Azamara's R-class ships still have public loungers and or/chairs topside and forward.

The only place I have seen forward-facing chairs or lounges on the outdoor public decks on any Oceania ship, other than the cabanas, is on the spa deck, and they are not close to the plastic windscreens. Marina and Riviera have the putting course and the "R" ships currently have the cabanas facing forward, looking through the blue plastic windscreens, and not for public use. The loss of those cabanas in no big deal; nothing else should change.

The real advantage of all the Oceania ships is the fabulous Horizon Lounge, where you can get great views through clear glass if you are early enough to get one of the forward seats.

After I posted about forward-facing loungers, I decided to search for other R-ships that might have them.

I located a gorgeous and recent album of Azamara Quest. The photography is truly excellent.

If you go to the 15th row of the pictures on the following website and click on the center picture, you will see public loungers with a beautiful view.

http://www.ariphoto.com/touringazamaraquest

This is what I would like to see on Regatta, Insignia and Nautica!

After I posted about forward-facing loungers, I decided to search for other R-ships that might have them.

I located a gorgeous and recent album of Azamara Quest. The photography is truly excellent.

If you go to the 15th row of the pictures on the following website and click on the center picture, you will see public loungers with a beautiful view.

http://www.ariphoto.com/touringazamaraquest

This is what I would like to see on Regatta, Insignia and Nautica!

I agree; makes more sense to me than the putting green, which I've never used in a combined 80 days on Marina and Riviera. But, some people enjoy the putting competitions for Big O points -- probably more than would use the lounges, except on certain cruises with better views than the ocean...and then there wouldn't be enough.