MDR poll question

vols_159

Mdr dinning question Do you wanna sit with?  

436 members have voted

1. 1. Mdr dinning question Do you wanna sit with?

• Your party only
    • Strangers new table mates
    • Don't care im on a cruise

They're only strangers for 5 minutes. They are usually life long friends by the end of the cruise.

DW and I agree with this. We like meeting people, and have only moved from our assigned area 1 time in all our cruises. Nothing against the couple we were assigned with (4 person booth)but they did not speak English, and we did not speak Japanese. Seemed like a nice couple, but unable to communicate with each other, so we moved.

We've been down the stranger route too many times and do not like it. The last 3 cruises we've done anytime dining and love it. Even though the tables are close to each other, you're not obligated to talk to any one but the person you are with. We like that.

I would like to poll the people's ages as well. I'm thinking age has lots to what they choose. I just turned 50 and am not old by any means but I must say I'm really starting to see the differences in generations.

I am 48 (still officially holding at 29 though:D). I voted to sit with my family only. It isn't only the younger new cruisers that don't like traditional dining. I choose ATD.

Edited by Mysticks1

Age 39 and I voted to sit with my family only. We are creatures of habit. I would feel too awkward getting stuck with people we don't know and I don't necessarily feel like talking a lot at dinner.

But I think it would be nice if they let you request your table size like other lines do. It may (purely speculation) cut down on the amount of time the Maître D has to spend rearranging people that are unhappy with their darting assignment as well.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My DH and I were on our 1st cruise and the first we were lucky enough to have a table for 2 each time. I think since it was off season they were not really full (were on the Ecstasy). I was looking forward to dining with others on our 2nd cruise and we were put with a party of 6 who acted like we were invading their space or something. I was very disappointed in their attitude but I guess I can understand it. Sooo - to answer the question I guess I would want to eat with others but only if we all were having a good time and were open to meeting others.

When we cruise with friends, we enjoying eating with just them. However, when we cruise by ourselves, we prefer a 2-top.

I am outgoing so I don't mind sitting with other people. However, my SO isn't as comfortable around other people until he gets to know them.

I look forward to meeting new people each cruise--every time I've shared a table, we wind up doing things with our table mates. We only had one family leave our table (they didn't speak much when we tried to engage them in conversation) and they were replaced by a great couple with their 17 year old son--they were a great addition to our table. It's nice to talk about our previous cruises, places to go in port, etc.

If cruising by ourselves like large table to meet people. With large group of friends just our friends.

Only twice in about 25 cruises did we want to be moved.

Once we had absolutely nothing in common with other couple.

Other time whenever the other guy saw what the waiter brought us he asked for that too.

Pointed out why that made it difficult for waitstaff and he said ok and immediately ordered again.

Also during two hour dinner he told us several altogether different versions of his life. Immediately went to MD after dinner and pleaded for change of table.

I'm 43, and DH is 41. DD is 14. We've been stuck with some beauties in the past. I would just prefer US. Hate being "forced" into conversation. I don't go on a cruise to make new friends.:D:D Not that I have anything against it, but just not at mealtime.

One of my favorite parts of the cruise is arriving at our table the first night and meeting new friends. In the 10 cruises I've been on, Carnival has done a great job of assigning tablemates. As a matter of fact, we are going on a cruise next week with a couple that we met in the MDR in January!

We keep in touch with a lot of our former tablemates. I'm 38 and my husband is 39. We've been married for 15 years and don't have children. Carnival tends to pair us with other couples around our age, although it seems there's often one couple at the table that doesn't show up every night. I've cruised with my mom twice and they've paired us with couples / friends of various ages.

I have a busy family of 4 and dinner together is something that we look forward to on a cruise. I want to re-connect with my children and hubby. Getting to know strangers is not on my to-do list when I'm on vacation.

Agreed. Getting to know others and small chit chat is part of my job. I want a break from that on vacation.

About half of our cruises we've been assigned to sit with strangers, while the others we ended up with just our group. There was nothing wrong with anyone we were assigned to, but when given the option, we would choose to sit on own.

I do my cruising solo, so it's assigned dining for me. Like someone pointed out, assigned tablemates are strangers only for the first 5 minutes. I much prefer to sit with other people than eat dinner alone. My tablemates were great both times I did assigned dining.

The company of my dinner companions in the MDR, last cruise, was delightful, a large table of solos.

The highlight of my cruise.

Doesn't happen all the time..

Pam

Edited by afrayedknot

My party only. Once I tried anytime dining, I was spoiled forever. Even though I mostly have had good prior experience with set time dining, there were a couple of times that the mix at the table was awkward.

Also, I used to go back and forth between early and late dining, and found that often I was just not ready at said time for dinner, so anytime dining was the answer to that. So, my party only. (even if that is just me, myself and I ), or my family and friends.

I have a busy family of 4 and dinner together is something that we look forward to on a cruise. I want to re-connect with my children and hubby. Getting to know strangers is not on my to-do list when I'm on vacation.

Well said. Who likes small talk? Small = Meaningless