Costa Maya from New Orleans or Galveston?

forwardcabin

We were on a special 8-day cruise in 2011 on Carnival Magic from Galveston that made a stop in Costa Maya. We really enjoyed our time there and are longing to return to that port, but it seems Carnival has no cruises from either NOLA or Galveston with Costa Maya on their itenerary. Some of Carnival's ships from Florida stop there--why not from the Gulf Coast?

I really don't know the answer to that question but we also wish there were more ships going to Costa Maya. Currently the only ship that does regularly is the Dream.

We enjoyed our Dream cruises but she was our least favorite ship. It seemed there was a wait for everything, to many bottlenecks, and rude passengers. (probably due to people becoming impatient with all the waits and crowds.)

In addition, the second time we sailed the Dream, they had shortened the port time from 8-4 to 7-2. That's just a bit to early for drinking beer on the beach when you strive to be back aboard at least an hour before the ship sails.

I see a lot of mixed opinions on Costa Maya in reviews. Some don't get off the ship at all and think it is boring. Some that like to relax on the beach or buy the all inclusive resort packages love it. We love it there, (especially my massage on the beach) but maybe there isn't as much demand for that port so it is limited to just the one ship.

Either way, we will probably not go back if the excursion time is not increased regardless of which ship, and especially not on the Dream.

I wish they would have either NOLA or Galveston have Costa Maya. My first Cruise on Fantasy went to coz and Costa Maya. It switched to Progresso after a hurricane destroyed CM. It's now rebuilt. I think it would make things more interesting if say the Triumph, for it's 5 day, went to Costa Maya and Elation for it's 5 day kept Progresso, or maybe alternate weeks.

We agree with all of you. We would like to see Triumph, Magic, or both alternate Progresso with Costa Maya--it's not that far from Coz. When we went to Costa Maya, we took a taxi to Mahahual and stayed on the beach--good food, fabulous beach and water, great massages...reminded us of that song about "toes in the water, ass in the sand, not a care in the world, a cold beer in my hand."

We agree with all of you. We would like to see Triumph, Magic, or both alternate Progresso with Costa Maya--it's not that far from Coz. When we went to Costa Maya, we took a taxi to Mahahual and stayed on the beach--good food, fabulous beach and water, great massages...reminded us of that song about "toes in the water, ass in the sand, not a care in the world, a cold beer in my hand."

I agree with you - I loved Costa Maya. We took a taxi to Mahahual as well. Sat on the beach at the Cat's Meow (don't think it is there now) drinking margaritas and eating chips and salsa. It was a very relaxing day.

There is one 7 day cruise from Galveston to Costa Maya, Roatan , and Cozumel on the RCCL Navigator on Nov 16, 2014...We got to go there once and did not go to Mahahual..The RCCL cruise is a real deal right now. We booked it earlier,and now it has gone down, so we received a lot of credit, and have it down to $1265 total for the 2 of us with an E2 balcony. I too wish the Triumph would alternate between Progreso and Costa Maya..Also, there is a Royal cruise in May with the same itinerary, but it is a 6 day..If you have not been to Costa Maya, avoid the tourist trap shopping at the pier. The taxi to Mahahual is like $2 PP. PS. If you try the Navigator you will like it. The online agency I book with is offering a $65 OBC now also. Wish I could tell you here, but you know the rules..

We were on a special 8-day cruise in 2011 on Carnival Magic from Galveston that made a stop in Costa Maya. We really enjoyed our time there and are longing to return to that port, but it seems Carnival has no cruises from either NOLA or Galveston with Costa Maya on their itenerary. Some of Carnival's ships from Florida stop there--why not from the Gulf Coast?

There is a cruise on the Dream leaving from New Orleans for 6 days that goes to Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel on 4/14/2014.

• 1 month later...
There is a cruise on the Dream leaving from New Orleans for 6 days that goes to Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel on 4/14/2014.

I saw that one, problem with school. It's the week before the spring break in our area. May have to just pull the child out of school for 4 days, (she'll have the Friday off).