Miami Port - Embarkation

dazza70166

Hi All, I have never cruised out of Miami before, I know its a really busy port, I am sailing on the Pearl on Sunday Dec 1st, what would be the best time to arrive at the port to be ahead of the pack and avoid the mad rush that happens in the buffet's - Thanks

Hi All, I have never cruised out of Miami before, I know its a really busy port, I am sailing on the Pearl on Sunday Dec 1st, what would be the best time to arrive at the port to be ahead of the pack and avoid the mad rush that happens in the buffet's - Thanks

We sailed out of Miami in February (Epic) and found that around 12 noon seemed to work quite well. After the formality of check in we did have to wait for a bit but no longer than say 20 mins. There are lots of chairs and room to wait and chat with others too. I'm not sure when or if it ever gets less busy but since we're sailing on the same cruise... I guess we'll find out soon...

2 weeks from tomorrow...

Enjoy your cruise... did you join the roll call for our cruise...?

11:30 IMO arrive.

Skip the buffet and go eat at Tzar's Palace.. Don't be herded around when you first step on the ship - it is not worth it at all - opt for a nice leisurely lunch - one of the best kept secrets on embarkation.

Skip the buffet and go eat at Tzar's Palace.. Don't be herded around when you first step on the ship - it is not worth it at all - opt for a nice leisurely lunch - one of the best kept secrets on embarkation.

Hi thanks for the advice, I would prefer to do that rather than the buffet, I didn't know they had a MDR open for lunch on embarkation day - looking forward to doing that now

We sailed out of Miami in February (Epic) and found that around 12 noon seemed to work quite well. After the formality of check in we did have to wait for a bit but no longer than say 20 mins. There are lots of chairs and room to wait and chat with others too. I'm not sure when or if it ever gets less busy but since we're sailing on the same cruise... I guess we'll find out soon...

2 weeks from tomorrow...

Enjoy your cruise... did you join the roll call for our cruise...?

Hi, Connie, I haven't looked at the roll call, I don't really know what it's all about to be honest, I haven't been only many cruises as being in the UK and holidaying in our winter months there are not many chances to cruise with good weather unless I fly to the US and go from Florida

Hi, Connie, I haven't looked at the roll call, I don't really know what it's all about to be honest, I haven't been only many cruises as being in the UK and holidaying in our winter months there are not many chances to cruise with good weather unless I fly to the US and go from Florida

It's ok, totally understand and this is our first involvement with the Meet and Greet so we're looking forward to meeting some others on our cruise. We're also looking forward to meeting the officers and crew on the ship and maybe getting a bit of a tour of the ship as well.

The group on the M&G seems to be quite nice and very knowledgeable as far as what goes on during the cruise.

This is only our 3rd cruise on NCL but we've really enjoyed the cruises so hopefully you'll have a great time as well and IF you want to join us on our roll call or even just have a look and make up your own mind I'll include the address for you.

Have a wonderful cruise and don't worry about anything,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1747180

Hi thanks for the advice, I would prefer to do that rather than the buffet, I didn't know they had a MDR open for lunch on embarkation day - looking forward to doing that now

Some workers might try to herd you to buffet. Even saying MDR is closed. Smile and head to MDR anyways. Trust me. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

We cruised out of Miami last week and getting on was a breeze. We arrived around 11:30 a.m. and were on by noon. We always eat at the MDR and get seated right away. Only thing to note is service is usually slow that first day.

Have a great cruise!

Where is Tzar's Palace on the ship?

Only one of the MDR's is usually open for lunch on embarkation day. That can account for some of the confusion.

I don't agree. Anyone working onboard should be able to read and the embarkation day's daily clearly states which restaurants are open and exceptions aside, there usually is always one MDR open for lunch so that can't come as a surprise to any crew member that has access to dailies (the people guiding embarking passengers always have one). There is no reason for the misinformation other than the policy that they should be guiding people to the pool deck and buffet (to get them buying drinks too as soon as possible).

This discussion has been going on for years with regards to MDR vs buffet on embarkation day on NCL.

The dailies will always point out that one MDR is open, usually till 2 or 230pm.

But once on board you will find that directions given almost never mention the MDR and they will steer passengers to the buffet. Even when questioned you will almost always be told no MDR is open.

Apparently there is a reason why the staff would be told to steer passengers to the buffet vs MDR, but that reason is not clear. Why open it at all if they don't want it used?

Maybe:

1) The MDR staff wants an easier day and pays off their coworkers to lead us elsewhere?

2) The aft elevators are devoted to luggage delivery and they want traffic moved forward?

3) NCL has figured out that somehow the meal per passenger cost is lower in the buffet?

4) The onboard staff is just as clueless as the onshore staff about what is actually available onboard?

Edited by Zimomiller

Maybe:

2) The aft elevators are devoted to luggage delivery and they want traffic moved forward?

Few things why this can't be it. ;) Buffets on most ships are in midship/aft. Also luggage delivery is not done on passenger side elevators, the crew has their own elevator banks in the crew area (usually right behind passenger elevators).

It is actually called Summer Palace MDR and it is deck 6 aft.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was sitting here reading and wondering why on earth I couldn't remember any place by that time from our Epic cruise.

Not sure why people are steered away...

Enjoyed a quiet lunch on our last NCL cruise and the waiter even suggested we sit comfortably at our uncrowded table to wait for the announcement. By the time we finished, the announcement had been made and we made our way to the room.