Should weather be a factor cruising Baltic

karska

Want to take voyager Sept 18, 2014. Copenhagen to Amsterdam. Love the ports. But it will be cool, has anyone gone this time of year. Will be our first Regent cruise, have cruised many times. Princess, RCCL, Celebrity, Norwegian.

Looking forward to a small ship and not having to have out of pocket.

Well, yes, it may be. I have not been there that time of year, but read reports of those who did, i think on this board. I think I was in the Baltics in July. As I remember, the average temps may be in the 40's and 50's when you are there. Just layer your clothing, be ready for the chilly weather, and hope for sunny days. You are an experienced cruiser from your listings, so if you have been in the northern parts, you know to expect it! I much prefer traveling in the fall just about anywhere in Europe. Russia, I'm just not sure.

I've been to some of the ports on this cruise (though as part of a three week DIY land trip, not a cruise) and it was late October (2003). In fact, I'm considering taking this particular voyage next year as my now husband hasn't been to any of these places yet and it would be fun to rediscover them with him. Also, I didn't make it to Russia in 2003 and I only want to take a cruise that spends 3 days in St. Petersburg, rather than just two.

In 2003, I went to Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Oslo, Bergen, Flam, Stavanger, Stockholm, Turku, Riga, Tallin and a few other smaller towns that I can't remember offhand.

Anyway, the weather was definitely chilly, but we had some amazingly beautiful days, particularly in Sweden and Latvia. The only disappointment was Tallin, which is not pleasant at all when it's rainy and grey.

I think late September will be a great time to visit this part of the world, and DH and I are keen to avoid the crowds in the ports as well as children on our cruise ship.

Edited by LipBalmAddict