Who can tell me about seasick patches?

pompeii

I have used ginger with good success. I too find the pills make me lethargic at best. I do take them if it is predicted to get really rough, but I take the candied ginger and for the first day to two nibble on it.. after that I seem to find my sea legs. I do agree, that it is best to stay ahead of it, don't wait until you are feeling really sick, then it is hard to backtrack. You can also use fresh ginger grated in hot water for a ginger tea. I personally don't care much for the candied ginger or the tea... but it is so so much better than being sick that I stick with it.

I do agree, that it is best to stay ahead of it, don't wait until you are feeling really sick, then it is hard to backtrack.

Based on what I've read all options are best to prevent symptoms & need to be taken in advance. The only 'treatment' I've read about is a shot at the ship's med center which I think is to treat nausea & also to use these other remedies to treat the motion sickness symptoms.

We are sailors and I have used patches in rough weather for years with no side effects whatsoever. they are available over the counter in Canada so I don't know if the formulation or dosage is different. A friend tried them on our transatlantic cruise recently and also did not experience any problems.

I have used the patch since my first transatlantic June 2003. Only side effect is dry mouth. I was not sure if I would have sea sickness since my first cruise was only 3 days in 1999 from Vancouver to Skagway. The rest our our 2 week trip in Alaska was on land. So I came prepared on the TA. Going to give it a try with nothing, but had Patch and dramamine. Day 2 I woke up very very queasy. Pharamist had told me I had to be back to feeling "normal" before I could put on patch. Took all day but I made it and put patch on that evening. Praise the Lord I did. Captain announced that we were heading into a gale overnite and next day. So many people on board horribly ill. Every where you looked little white bags were sitting about! Waves crashing up higher than dining room windows.

I was A-OK. Have never cruised since without the patch,mthat was at least 15 cruises ago.

My son and daughter in law tried patches and had to take them off due to bad vision side effect. I have no idea why it bothers some but not others. I do not like the dry mouth, but better than being sick!

So my advice, take all options with you and see what works. Just remember if you have to go all the way and use patch, do not put on until you feel somewhat normal.

Good luck and happy cruising.

• 1 month later...

I use sea sick patches every time with no side affects. You have to be careful and wash your hands after you apply them and not touch your eyes. If you touch your eyes it will cause blurry vision. I think it just depends on the person. I have used them at least 15 times with no problems

Candi