Best ruins to climb????

wantocruisemore

I'd say your best bet on climbing a mayan pyramid would be in Belize. From the top of Xunantunich you can see Guatamala (not that there'sa road sign, LOL). And its within a reasonable ship excursion day, albeit a long day. Not sure which, if any pyramids can be climbed in Mexico these days. But David and Ivan at native Choice can tell you better than anyone which is the best to do.

Edited by crewsweeper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the info on Coba. We have not been there and did not have anything special planned for Cozumel. We can do an excursion from there. We will also likely do the ship excursion since it is a long way.

Many years ago we climbed Chichen Itza, back when you were allowed to climb. The pyramid looks similar, just not as well preserved.

Edited by wantocruisemore

Normally, we do not even entertain the thought of ship excursions. But, the Coba excursions required a ferry, then a bus ride, then a hike with a guide to climb the ruins. We knew the time would be very tight, so we went with the ship tour. We were pleasantly surprised. Other than people doing extensive souvenir shopping at the "Restroom Stop" and taking up valuable time - we really enjoyed the day. Definitely one of the most memorable experiences we've had!

My understanding is you could climb the Temple of the Owl in Dzibanche. It is a 2 hr drive each way plus about 2 hrs at the site. I will going back in Feb and am trying to decide about going to either Dzibannche or Kohunlich.

• 1 month later...

I don't think you could do it in a cruise port of call, and granted I never been to Coba but, if your ever in Cancun, Cozumel or Playa del Carmen and have already done Tulum and Chichen Itza. Or as the OP have a desire to climb the ruins I strongly suggest Ek Balam they dont run the tour every day but its great and you dont have to walk as much as Coba or at least thats what the tour operator said :D

Edited by cgguajardo

I don't think you could do it in a cruise port of call, and granted I never been to Coba but, if your ever in Cancun, Cozumel or Playa del Carmen and have already done Tulum and Chichen Itza. Or as the OP have a desire to climb the ruins I strongly suggest Ek Balam they dont run the tour every day but its great and you dont have to walk as much as Coba or at least thats what the tour operator said :D

Thanks but we're now booked on carnivals excursion to Coba out of Cozumel. Decided to just do a beach & snorkel at Tropicante for costa maya.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thanks but we're now booked on carnivals excursion to Coba out of Cozumel. Decided to just do a beach & snorkel at Tropicante for costa maya.

You will have a great day. That is the exact tour we did. It is a long day, but climbing pyramid is amazing. Our 9 year old DD really liked it. She was not afraid at all. We brought her ipod for the ride - kept her entertained. We have climbed ruins in Lamanai in Belize and Coba from Cozumel - both INCREDIBLE excursions!