The New Celebrity Captains Club is Here!

danrad

We were on the Celebrity Century at Xmas/New Year, Panama Canal and they had the VIP party. The drinks and appitizers were superior to the normal fare during Happy Hour. Yes, it was quite a small group, the officers and captain circulated through the party and attempted to greet all the VIP's. It was a very nice perk. The last I heard there are 55 Zenith members. It's a huge leap between Elite Plus and Zenith.

I've been away from Cruise Critic for a while, and don't have time to look through 74 pages of posts to see if this sentiment has already been expressed yet, but...

We're still Classic, have 4 cruise credits, would have been 6 after this cruise coming up. We would have needed 4 more week-long Veranda cruises or 2 more Concierge cruises to make Elite. My four credits translated into 120 points-- it would have been 77 points if we would be starting today under the present system. We'll be up to 155 points after this cruise, so will make the jump up to Select. Instead of 4 Veranda cruises, we'll need 7 7-day cruises to get to Elite, or 5 Concierge cruises instead of 2 7-day cruises. Three more cruises either way.

However, I support the change. It was too easy to reach Elite before. If everyone's special, then no one's special. We plan on being Celebrity cruisers for many years, so we'll get to Elite soon enough. The loyalty benefits aren't the main incentive for us to cruise, just a nice perk. Once we get to Elite, it'll be more enjoyable to attend the happy hour if it's not a herd. There's still too many Elites, including Diamonds from Crown & Anchor, but maybe in seven years the ranks will thin a bit through attrition.

We pick our cruises based on who we are sailing with, itinerary and timing due to work requirements, so loyalty levels are not really a factor. However, it is interesting to note if our cruises (2 prior and 1 upcoming) were all under the old system, or all under the new system, we would be Select after the next cruise. However, based on the conversion calculation, we will still be Classic after the next cruise. Just an observation....if the difference was between higher levels maybe I would have stronger feelings about by the change.

I think they could have awarded points based on what any cruises already booked at the time of conversion would have earned in credits-- we had four cruise points, 4/5 of the way to Select, so we got 120 points, which equals 4/5 of the 150 points needed for Select. I would have preferred if the Concierge booking that would have otherwise gotten us to 6 cruise credits would have equaled 180 points instead of the 155 we will now end up with, but they do reserve the right to change the terms at any time. But maybe that's not what the basis for conversion was. In any case, it is what it is.

I'm guessing you currently are Elite+ status.:p

That certainly would have got some of us even more upset with the new Capt's Club program being that sister company, RCI, set 175 points or 25 old cruise credits for Diamond+ and this would require about one third more time cruising with a loyalty program that offers much less point value for being in anything but very expensive high category suites.:(

RCCL should have set D+ at 250 days.

I am happy we got to Elite when we did. I enjoy the perks, especially the internet. Having internet access ALLOWS me to go on cruises. Without it, or having it as an extra expense would restrict us from going as often as we do.

OK, we had 2 play years, now it is time to get back to business.

Did I mention we managed to slip on Seabourn Spirit and Pride? A totally different kind of sailing.

After being off the Connie for quite a while, I wonder if we will know any of the staff.

• 4 months later...

Hi folks,

I just found this discussion and I tried to catchup the whole thread but I could find anything about my specific problem.

In my case they changed the program in the middle of my cruise and they counted the cruise like in the old days. Usually you'll get your points after the cruise but this time I got them during cruise.

They literally changed my tier status in the middle of the cruise also.

So I wonder if there is any official statement how Celebrity handled the conversion when you are actually on a cruise at that time.

Regards

jjduke

Hi folks,

I just found this discussion and I tried to catchup the whole thread but I could find anything about my specific problem.

In my case they changed the program in the middle of my cruise and they counted the cruise like in the old days. Usually you'll get your points after the cruise but this time I got them during cruise.

They literally changed my tier status in the middle of the cruise also.

So I wonder if there is any official statement how Celebrity handled the conversion when you are actually on a cruise at that time.

Regards

jjduke

I believe others on this thread responded that the same thing happened to them. However, getting points via the old system was to your advantage. Have you figured out what points you were supposed to receive via the old and then new systems? Which worked out better? You can try to call Captain's Club if factoring by the old way resulted in fewer points. It would be worth a try.

Hi,

I apologize if I overlooked that posts. In my case I lost 14 points. I know that is not a lot but we did 26 cruises now (not all with Celebrity) and it never happened before, that I got my reward points before the end of the cruise.

I'm still waiting for my points from my last cruise. I already contacted Miami office, I talked to some Captain's club representatives on my last cruise but they still deny to fix it. It is not that I'm begging for the 14 points it's more that I ask for a proper explanation for that course of action as a matter of principle. ;)

Regards

jjduke

Hi,

I apologize if I overlooked that posts. In my case I lost 14 points. I know that is not a lot but we did 26 cruises now (not all with Celebrity) and it never happened before, that I got my reward points before the end of the cruise.

I'm still waiting for my points from my last cruise. I already contacted Miami office, I talked to some Captain's club representatives on my last cruise but they still deny to fix it. It is not that I'm begging for the 14 points it's more that I ask for a proper explanation for that course of action as a matter of principle. ;)

Regards

jjduke

IMO, 14 points are a lot to lose. Maybe someone here can help you map out what you are specifically entitled to.

1. How many points did you have in the old system before you took the cruise where the point system changed?

2. How many days was the cruise you were on when the point system changed?

3. What level cabin were you in?

4. How many points does Captain's Club say you have now after the change?

It's also possible that you can't get additional points because the program does state they have the right to change at any time.

Edited by kathynorth

Hi,

Regards

jjduke

You said you got the points for the cruise you were on, under the old program. Are you waiting for points for a cruise that you took after that cruise?

How it worked was that you got old program points up to the change date and then all cruises after that would get the new program points.