cruise paid off so i call to add tips for 3 people...BUT PROBLEMS..

Susiecruisey

Ugh, how frustrating. :( After reading everything, My thought was maybe someone changed the fare code without realizing. Part is from my own experience to, but thankfully mine was just the cabin that was changed & I was able to get it corrected quickly. Hoping this gets corrected soon for you.

Wow, I just paid our tips today for our upcoming cruise. Got the confirmation emails (we have 2 cabins). Had absolutely no problems. As others have stated, if this situation happened to me, I'd be cruising on another line from now on.

I didn't pay attention. Has the OP sailed with Carnival in the past?

Once a cruise is paid in full and you add the pre paid gratuities you have to pay them in full. There is not an option to make payments on tips.

In your cruise manager, not documents, they include taxes, ports charges and tips in the same line.

$241.50 is three passengers for a seven day cruise. If you had a zero balance before you added the tip. You should still have a zero balance now since you paid the $241.50.

Carnival should be able take the balance down to zero.

You may want to check and see if they added trip insurance at the same time. That could be the difference.

Once a cruise is paid in full and you add the pre paid gratuities you have to pay them in full. There is not an option to make payments on tips.

In your cruise manager, not documents, they include taxes, ports charges and tips in the same line.

$241.50 is three passengers for a seven day cruise. If you had a zero balance before you added the tip. You should still have a zero balance now since you paid the $241.50.

You may want to check and see if they added trip insurance at the same time. That could be the difference.

It seems to be the norm that when adding pre-paid grats after the cruise is paid off, one usually pays them right then and there.

However, if the cruise has been paid off prior to the final payment date (based on my knowledge of how bookings work), one could theoretically carry a balance on the pre-paid grats without repercussion as long as they are paid in full by the final payment date.

Someone please correct me if this isn't so.

the problem she had a zero bal but by wanting to add in her gratuities is that they are NOW showing she owes like 248 more for her cruise and supposedly even carnival can't figure out why and even if she takes off the gratuities its still showing balance owed where prior was a zero bal. Carnival dropped it on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a call back today. They still can not figure it out. But here is what they said. They will change it back to the way it was but if the rate goes down again even thought I have ES they will not honor it. I guess I have to live with it. But this will be my last Cruise with Carnival but they could care less about that.

I finally got a call back today. They still can not figure it out. But here is what they said. They will change it back to the way it was but if the rate goes down again even thought I have ES they will not honor it. I guess I have to live with it. But this will be my last Cruise with Carnival but they could care less about that.

Holy cow! It took them all this time to get back to you and they still can't figure it out:eek:

Typical Carnival. They screw up and the paying customer has to suck it up.

Thanks for coming back to let us know.

Bill

That doesn't seem right for them not to honor ES...apples and oranges. I would tell them to take off the pre-paid gratuities and reinstate your ES. What a hassle. :mad:

I agree.. it was their screw up in the beginning. she should have her documents showing zero bal prior to adding the gratuities. They should still honor her ES booking. I just don't know why she didn't just add them when she booked her cruise.

I do because I want to know the total balance due when I book. The only time it ever changed on me was I finally had a ES drop and applied for it and the gratuities had changed so I had to pay the additional 1.50 day per person which I didn't feel it was right since I can't remove them, why should I have to pay the new rate. We still always tip extra, but to me it was the point of the matter.

I think there is more to this story than we understand. Can the OP post a copy or pic of their original cruise documents showing the lower price, deposit etc....

I think if some of the experts here take a look at it maybe we can all make sense of it.