Do Butlers just come in without invite?

NoName

I have read a couple of comments on here lately that I can't stop thinking about. Two different people commented that their butler would just knock and enter, without waiting for an invite. That is not cool with me.

A few years ago, my sister and I were cruising together and felt like we had a "stalker" cabin attendant. He entered our cabin at odd times without invite. For example, we were on the balcony in the mid afternoon and suddenly the balcony door opened and he was there.

He had so many excuses for why he had to "pop in" at odd times that it was down right creepy. This persisted despite using the "do not disturb" sign. I like my privacy and have decided that this will never happen to me again..

So what is YOUR experience with the butlers. Do they knock and wait for response? Or do they knock and immediately enter?

Kim

The butler I had on the BA was great. He would ring the bell before even attempting to enter. He did ring the bell and I had just came out of the shower, I was fumbling to get my robe and he came in :eek: but my bf had arranged some plans with him and he was looking for him. It was MY fault, I didn't have the DO NOT DISTURB sign on. I usually do when I'm in the room. He was VERY apologetic and embarrassed lol. On the same sailing my bf had arranged with our butler to go into our room while we weren't there and take the bday gift my bf had hidden and wrap it. We left the DO NOT DISTURB sign on. He knew we were at dinner in the Haven restaurant and called the restaurant and asked permission if he could go into the cabin bc the sign was on. Never had any issues with any butlers. Our room steward would also knock before entering. Never had an issue with a room steward.

I have read a couple of comments on here lately that I can't stop thinking about. Two different people commented that their butler would just knock and enter, without waiting for an invite. That is not cool with me.

A few years ago, my sister and I were cruising together and felt like we had a "stalker" cabin attendant. He entered our cabin at odd times without invite. For example, we were on the balcony in the mid afternoon and suddenly the balcony door opened and he was there.

He had so many excuses for why he had to "pop in" at odd times that it was down right creepy. This persisted despite using the "do not disturb" sign. I like my privacy and have decided that this will never happen to me again..

So what is YOUR experience with the butlers. Do they knock and wait for response? Or do they knock and immediately enter?

Kim

I would have been very uncomfortable in that situation. While it's been a few years, it's really not too late to report it. If this butler is still working, the cruise line might wish to know.

While I did find it very creepy, I was uncomfortable at the time in making waves, so just dealt with it the best I could. I actually told him to not come into the cabin during the day, if he had something he needed to deliver, to leave it in the mailbox.

That conversation alone was very uncomfortable as he kept asking why we didn't want him "helping" us.

There was an occasion or two where we thought we HAD activated the deadbolt, but he was still able to come in-but we couldn't be certain. So does anyone know if the deadbolt will keep those with a key out?

I have been on numerous cruises and have never had a situation like that repeat itself. I hadn't even given any thought until I read those post regarding the butlers.....

Believe me, I would no longer be shy about "making waves" if needed.

Kim

On the Pearl, in the Garden Villa, there was no "do not disturb" on the main door, but there was on the individual bedroom doors (3 bedrooms in the Garden Villa).

There was a deadbolt on the main door. However, even though I did deadbolt the main door, the butler still came in. I learned this after the first night, when I found in him in our living area cleaning up the table from dinner the night before. Thought that door was locked, but no, he apparently had a way to open the door anyway. Deadbolt on, deadbolt off, he still entered the room. So, I suppose the butler has a way to cancel the deadbolt with a master key?

I did not appreciate learning this!

I agree with the others. Butlers always knocked, rang bell, etc, before entering. I think our last butler did surprise us once, but we were listening to music on the balcony and we were expecting her.

The only time she really came in without an invite was when it was time for our hungover asses to get off the ship. Then she was a little more insistent! :eek: Even then, she knocked, rang, and announced herself as she entered.... "what time do you plan on leaving the ship?!?!"

There is a key which can be inserted that pops the deadbolt. Why is that astonishing? Any hotel or ship can do this.

And those that don't have an over-ride for the deadbolt, may wish they did! My late MIL sprang out of bed to close her window at midnight in a hotel in Tacoma (some years ago) -- she went down and broke her hip (or broke her hip and went down) -- she had deadbolted the hall door and the one between our rooms and the hotel had to get the maintenance man in to take the door off the hinges before the paramedics could attend to her.

Why is that astonishing?

I hope the snarky reply somehow improved your day.:rolleyes:

I assumed that you would have to be somewhere higher on the ladder than a butler or a cabin attendant to over-ride the dead-bolt. I can see if security staff members could do this, but don't really feel it is appropriate for run of the mill staff.

Sorry if you feel my surprise was not warranted.

I assumed that you would have to be somewhere higher on the ladder than a butler or a cabin attendant to over-ride the dead-bolt. I can see if security staff members could do this, but don't really feel it is appropriate for run of the mill staff.

Sorry if you feel my surprise was not warranted.

That's exactly what I would have thought - someone higher, say an officer, would have an over ride key but certainly not the cabin attendant or there would be literally no point in having it. On my last ship I asked the attendant and he said he couldn't open the door if it was deadlocked.

It didn't... mostly because it wasn't snarky. And I would have to agree with you. But I would also add that that every housekeeper in every hotel I have ever stayed at has been able to open every room door, deadbolt or not. Eve n those swing-lock things. And they're just run of the mill people, yeah?

Much ado about nothing I think.

I understand how this may be a non-issue for some, but I don't feel entirely comfortable with this. If I am taking a nap, I don't want to worry about a stranger coming in while I am unaware. (Even if it is to leave me snacks....:)

I think I will pay extra attention to this issue when on-board next month. It is a policy I would like to know more about. Who has access and what are the rules they are to follow? Hopefully, the answers will increase my comfort level....

I understand how this may be a non-issue for some, but I don't feel entirely comfortable with this. If I am taking a nap, I don't want to worry about a stranger coming in while I am unaware. (Even if it is to leave me snacks....:)

I think I will pay extra attention to this issue when on-board next month. It is a policy I would like to know more about. Who has access and what are the rules they are to follow? Hopefully, the answers will increase my comfort level....

I wouldn't want someone walking in if I was napping either but that's never been an issue. Our experience has been that they always ring the bell. They don't just walk in. Why not just have a conversation with your butler and ask that he or she not enter the room if the "do not disturb" is visable, or ask them to come only at a specified time. They seem to make their "rounds" on a regular schedule so it shouldn't be that difficult to arrange.

We were in the garden villa on Dawn in January. There is no DND sign there and the butler and concierge came in several times without us opening door....however they did ring bell first. The problem with the GV is it is so big that we often didn't hear bell...especially if we were on the upper balcony. Butler came every afternoon with our snacks and concierge caught us on balcony several times to check in and see if we had dinner plans. At first I was a little creeped out knowing they could just come and go like that, but they were just doing their job. If it was a problem for us , we definitely would have asked them not to come in like that but we weren't doing anything we needed to be worried about ;). We loved them both....they were so professional and hard working.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Forums mobile app

We have never had this problem with the butler. Always have rung the bell and knocked first. I recall one time we were on the front deck (OS with wrap around balcony) so we didn't hear the bell and he came in, but we did not have the DND up. The simple answer is use the DND and nobody will come in. Or bolt lock (in which case the butler may call on the phone first!). :cool:

Had first ever butler last February on Star. He always rang bell before entering. And yes, he entered suite when we weren't there to perform his duties and leave fruit and snacks, which is what he is paid to do. And of course the steward cleaned while we were out.

If the deadbolt was on, I would think any normal staff would assume that someone was in the cabin.

A few months ago, someone posted here about the steward entering the room while they were in the throes of passion. There again, the sign was probably not flipped and the door not secured.