Honeymoon Cruise Debate

OpenSea 311

Long time Cruise Critic fan, and my first forum post...

So the good thing is that I've locked down my decision between 2 ships. Carnival Breeze and Celebrity Reflection sailing on 12/27/14. I understand that they are 2 different cruise ship experiences. I just need some guidance please...

Here is the catch, my honeymoon will be during peak season. Unfortunately, this is the only week we can go. Trust me, I'd rather not go during peak season. My fiancée and I are both 25 years old. We plan on sailing to celebrate the New Year and more importantly, our honeymoon. Aside from the premium price, another down side is that there will be a lot of families, and lots of kids onboard. Which brings me first to Carnival...

I sailed on the Carnival Breeze last year with my family and had a blast! It was one of the best cruising experiences I've had. I really enjoyed the "Fun Ship 2.0" theme. Everything from the fast casual food eateries to the George Lopez comedy club. I also really enjoyed the Adults only serenity pool deck. Carnival has long been my favorite cruise line. Since its a family conscious cruise liner, I'm afraid the Carnival Breeze will be loaded with kids during peak season which could be a negative.

I sailed the Celebrity Solstice(sister ship to the Reflection) a few years ago, again with my family. It definitely was an older crowd, but the ship was beautiful, modern, and the service was top notch. It felt very up scale, but a tad on the boring side. They did have much better food quality for dinner but the lunch selection/buffets were OK in my opinion. That's maybe because I'm a "burgers and fries" kinda guy. I am a very laid back/casual cruiser. I don't care too much for the glitz and glamour that Celebrity provides but I just don't want to be stuck with an all seniors cruise on my honeymoon either. I know that it will be a quieter, more "romantic" experience possibly on the Celebrity, but I think I sacrifice the fun factor.

Carnival is about $800 cheaper, which is nice, but it will not make or break it for me. If you take the price out of the equation, which would you recommend?

I will also mention that the fiancée and I will be staying 5 nights at an adults only all-inclusive resort in Jamaica prior to the cruise. So we will get to enjoy 5 nights of peace :)

Please let me know your thoughts.

Ricky

Celebrity.

I did the Reflection in last April and I loved it! I'll be on the Breeze in April next year and I have a little fear that it is not up to my expectations. Finally, I see well. The average age sir Reflection was about 40/45 years old.

Long time Cruise Critic fan, and my first forum post...

So the good thing is that I've locked down my decision between 2 ships. Carnival Breeze and Celebrity Reflection sailing on 12/27/14. I understand that they are 2 different cruise ship experiences. I just need some guidance please...

Here is the catch, my honeymoon will be during peak season. Unfortunately, this is the only week we can go. Trust me, I'd rather not go during peak season. My fiancée and I are both 25 years old. We plan on sailing to celebrate the New Year and more importantly, our honeymoon. Aside from the premium price, another down side is that there will be a lot of families, and lots of kids onboard. Which brings me first to Carnival...

I sailed on the Carnival Breeze last year with my family and had a blast! It was one of the best cruising experiences I've had. I really enjoyed the "Fun Ship 2.0" theme. Everything from the fast casual food eateries to the George Lopez comedy club. I also really enjoyed the Adults only serenity pool deck. Carnival has long been my favorite cruise line. Since its a family conscious cruise liner, I'm afraid the Carnival Breeze will be loaded with kids during peak season which could be a negative.

I sailed the Celebrity Solstice(sister ship to the Reflection) a few years ago, again with my family. It definitely was an older crowd, but the ship was beautiful, modern, and the service was top notch. It felt very up scale, but a tad on the boring side. They did have much better food quality for dinner but the lunch selection/buffets were OK in my opinion. That's maybe because I'm a "burgers and fries" kinda guy. I am a very laid back/casual cruiser. I don't care too much for the glitz and glamour that Celebrity provides but I just don't want to be stuck with an all seniors cruise on my honeymoon either. I know that it will be a quieter, more "romantic" experience possibly on the Celebrity, but I think I sacrifice the fun factor.

Carnival is about $800 cheaper, which is nice, but it will not make or break it for me. If you take the price out of the equation, which would you recommend?

I will also mention that the fiancée and I will be staying 5 nights at an adults only all-inclusive resort in Jamaica prior to the cruise. So we will get to enjoy 5 nights of peace :)

Please let me know your thoughts.

Ricky

First off congratulations on your wedding.

Seeing you are doing the 5 days at the Adult all inclusive , I would say do the Breeze cruise.

You can have the best of both worlds that wya IMO.

At the AI you can have your romantic alone time , and probably a litlle more of an upscale atmosphere , and then on the Breeze you can have the more laid back fun atmosphere that you enjoy about Carnival.

Of course you can always have your adult alone time on teh ship too. So it's win win

That is just my 2 cents

Have a great time whatever you choose :)

All very valid points. As you can see, I am leaning towards Carnival. I think if I was just doing the cruise without an all-inclusive resort, I would probably go with Celebrity without question. Still have a lot to think about. Even if there is a handful of kids, how bad could that possibly be. Especially if most of the day is spent on the Serenity deck. Thanks again.

First off congratulations on your wedding.

Seeing you are doing the 5 days at the Adult all inclusive , I would say do the Breeze cruise.

You can have the best of both worlds that wya IMO.

At the AI you can have your romantic alone time , and probably a litlle more of an upscale atmosphere , and then on the Breeze you can have the more laid back fun atmosphere that you enjoy about Carnival.

Of course you can always have your adult alone time on teh ship too. So it's win win

That is just my 2 cents

Have a great time whatever you choose :)

All very valid points. As you can see, I am leaning towards Carnival. I think if I was just doing the cruise without an all-inclusive resort, I would probably go with Celebrity without question. Still have a lot to think about. Even if there is a handful of kids, how bad could that possibly be. Especially if most of the day is spent on the Serenity deck. Thanks again.

The great thing about all those kids on board is that .....NONE OF THEM ARE YOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

There will be places you can go and escape the majority of them. Like you said the Serenity Deck. The late night shows and clubs ...The specialty restaurants ...and of course your own cabin.

babyher said:The great thing about all those kids on board is that .....NONE OF THEM ARE YOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

LOL! I was just thinking "and none of those kids will be coming into your room, so enjoy!" Have a wonderful honeymoon!!

Edited by momonthego17

The great thing about all those kids on board is that .....NONE OF THEM ARE YOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

There will be places you can go and escape the majority of them. Like you said the Serenity Deck. The late night shows and clubs ...The specialty restaurants ...and of course your own cabin.

LOL... **LIKE** :D

I agreed with the majority - stick with Carnival, go & have fun !!

(Just curious - did you post this same question on the Celebrity board ??? )

Yes, I've been on both and I truly enjoyed the Carnival Breeze. One of the best times I've had on a ship, but it was with my brothers. Celebrity Solstice was also very nice, a ritzier ship with incredible service and food quality. She knows that I've sailed both cruise lines. I will pitch her both ships and what to expect on each(pros and cons) and then let her choose. I know I will have a great time on either. Thanks for your reply!

Since you have sailed both, how could you not choose celebrity.

If part of the honeymoon is on CCL.

Then she finds out you could have sailed Celebrity,

she will kick your a%%, then never let you forget it.

Reading your post, it seems like you're already leaning towards the Breeze.

Personally, if it was my honeymoon, I would be on the Reflection without a doubt. As much as I enjoy Carnival, I think of them as a more budget, casual experience that isn't as memorable. Not what I would do for the once in a lifetime experience that a honeymoon should be.

You're trying to create special memories. The Reflection will deliver a more upscale experience in elegant surroundings. To make it even more special, you can select either a Concierge Class or Aqua Spa stateroom. Believe me, your fiancé will appreciate the extra special experience.

I think you answered your own question. Go with the Breeze and have that special time in Jamaica. You can have that time on the Breeze too. Just ignore the kids and smile when you see them and think. I'm on vacation and non of them are mine! Enjoy the peace of not having one while ya can!

A honeymoon is one of those very special times when you make those special "the two of us" memories. Celebrity, even with more kids than usual on board during the holidays, will give you that experience.

IMHO- if I were your wife, if you chose Carnival (which I do like for certain type of cruises) over Celebrity for a special occasion cruise, I think I would not be very happy with you....but would eventually forgive you (after much groveling! ;) )

As you can tell by my signature, I have been on Carnival more than Celebrity....but on this occassion I would lean towards Celebrity.

Edited by sailinglisa

IMHO- if I were your wife, if you chose Carnival (which I do like for certain type of cruises) over Celebrity for a special occasion cruise, I think I would not be very happy with you....but would eventually forgive you (after much groveling! ;) ).

My wife would agree with you. After almost 10 years of marriage, I think she would still be saying "I can't believe you took me on a Carnival cruise for our honeymoon..." :o

I've taken my wife on plenty of Carnival cruises since we got married, but I'm glad we didn't take Carnival for our honeymoon.

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated :) Ultimately, she will have the final say. I will present her the facts and let her choose.

Also remember that we will be going to an adults-only all-inclusive resort prior to the cruise.

My wife would agree with you. After almost 10 years of marriage, I think she would still be saying "I can't believe you took me on a Carnival cruise for our honeymoon..." :o

I've taken my wife on plenty of Carnival cruises since we got married, but I'm glad we didn't take Carnival for our honeymoon.

Ultimately, she will have the final say. I will present her the facts and let her choose.

Well, you're beginning your marriage on the right note! If she's happy, you'll be happy. Even if everyone here recommended Celebrity, if your fiancé turns out to be a "Carnival" kind of girl, definitely let her choose that.

And from personal experience, most upscale is not necessarily the right choice. Everybody is different. We sailed on Holland America (which is considered a premium cruise line) this summer. While we had an absolutely phenomenal cruise, it was far from being our favorite cruise line. So we've figured out that our "ideal" cruise line may be a few notches above Carnival, but maybe a notch or two down from Holland America.

Whatever you do, cherish the memories, even if they are far from perfect. I tried to plan the perfect honeymoon. A beach resort stay pre-cruise, a suite onboard, memorable excursions, dinner reservations. etc. Everything was meticulously and perfectly planned (or so I thought). We had several unforeseen bumps and snafus along the way which, at the time, seemed disastrous. But now, looking back, they make for great memories and a good story to tell our kids some day (including the flooded hallway at the hotel when we arrived, our "premium view" hotel room facing the dumpster, the canceled ports of call, and the half-ship charter from a spandex-wearing wrestling group). :o

Edited by Tapi

My wife and I are in our early 30's. We love the fact that Celebrity doesn't have as many children. One of our big concerns was the average age of the cruisers on board. We had to search a little harder to find some young couples, but there were plenty on board. It was during Spring Break, and there were quite a few children. One thing about Celebrity, though, is that they actually enforce the adults only areas. It is the only cruise I have ever been on where I saw a pool butler actually tell children they had to leave certain areas.

I'll probably have a better idea on which I would prefer after next week when we cruise on the Carnival Dream.

If they are the same price, I believe I choose Celebrity.