Honeymoon Cruise Debate

OpenSea 311

Since you have sailed both, how could you not choose celebrity.

If part of the honeymoon is on CCL.

Then she finds out you could have sailed Celebrity,

she will kick your a%%, then never let you forget it.

Not necessarily true. The OP sounds like they like the pace better of a Carnival cruise and were bored on a Celebrity. Albeit, a "nicer" ship, but nicer does not mean more fun. I'd rather have 5 days of fun as opposed to 5 days of boredom. I say to the OP go Carnival, get a spa pass or upgrade to a suite and have a little bit of both.

Thanks for your reply. Last year when I sailed the Breeze, we didnt have any issues with children on the Serenity deck. But, I'f im not mistaken, the "adults only" area on the Celebrity Solstice class ships is the indoor pool in which i do not like. I'd rather have an outdoor adults-only area similar to Carnival.

My wife and I are in our early 30's. We love the fact that Celebrity doesn't have as many children. One of our big concerns was the average age of the cruisers on board. We had to search a little harder to find some young couples, but there were plenty on board. It was during Spring Break, and there were quite a few children. One thing about Celebrity, though, is that they actually enforce the adults only areas. It is the only cruise I have ever been on where I saw a pool butler actually tell children they had to leave certain areas.

I'll probably have a better idea on which I would prefer after next week when we cruise on the Carnival Dream.

If they are the same price, I believe I choose Celebrity.

Edited by OpenSea 311

Congrats on your marriage/honeymoon!!

My husband and I cruised Carnival for our honeymoon last year and we loved it! (We're close in age to you) I've been on other lines too, but the itinerary (Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk, DR) was phenomenal and we met some great people. We love our "alone time," but sometimes it's nice to interact with others too. For us anyway, too much time with just the two of us can get old.

Also, from the sounds of things, I think you'll enjoy whatever you choose. It's all in what you make of it and how you look at it. Either way, you'll be on your honeymoon and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Best of luck!!:)

Our first cruise was our honeymoon cruise. A wedding gift and we had no say on the ship choice. We were booked on the Fascination in the summertime when plenty of kids were onboard. I don’t remember them at all. I truly enjoyed the time with my new husband and our new vacation experience. I’m sure the Celebrity is really nice, but you still wanna be young and have fun. Hands down go with the Breeze!

Congratulations!

Long time Cruise Critic fan, and my first forum post...

So the good thing is that I've locked down my decision between 2 ships. Carnival Breeze and Celebrity Reflection sailing on 12/27/14. I understand that they are 2 different cruise ship experiences. I just need some guidance please...

Here is the catch, my honeymoon will be during peak season. Unfortunately, this is the only week we can go. Trust me, I'd rather not go during peak season. My fiancée and I are both 25 years old. We plan on sailing to celebrate the New Year and more importantly, our honeymoon. Aside from the premium price, another down side is that there will be a lot of families, and lots of kids onboard. Which brings me first to Carnival...

I sailed on the Carnival Breeze last year with my family and had a blast! It was one of the best cruising experiences I've had. I really enjoyed the "Fun Ship 2.0" theme. Everything from the fast casual food eateries to the George Lopez comedy club. I also really enjoyed the Adults only serenity pool deck. Carnival has long been my favorite cruise line. Since its a family conscious cruise liner, I'm afraid the Carnival Breeze will be loaded with kids during peak season which could be a negative.

I sailed the Celebrity Solstice(sister ship to the Reflection) a few years ago, again with my family. It definitely was an older crowd, but the ship was beautiful, modern, and the service was top notch. It felt very up scale, but a tad on the boring side. They did have much better food quality for dinner but the lunch selection/buffets were OK in my opinion. That's maybe because I'm a "burgers and fries" kinda guy. I am a very laid back/casual cruiser. I don't care too much for the glitz and glamour that Celebrity provides but I just don't want to be stuck with an all seniors cruise on my honeymoon either. I know that it will be a quieter, more "romantic" experience possibly on the Celebrity, but I think I sacrifice the fun factor.

Carnival is about $800 cheaper, which is nice, but it will not make or break it for me. If you take the price out of the equation, which would you recommend?

I will also mention that the fiancée and I will be staying 5 nights at an adults only all-inclusive resort in Jamaica prior to the cruise. So we will get to enjoy 5 nights of peace :)

Please let me know your thoughts.

Ricky

Everything depends on what experience you are looking for. Personally I would choose the Reflection for this occasion. Even though there will be more older folks than on Carnival you will find it could be a more intimate experience. If both of you are looking for more partying & fun then you should choose Carnival.

It depends on if you want a party atmosphere or a romantic for two atmosphere. Personally, I don't find CCL very romantic but if you like a busy crowd and a party scene for your honeymoon, it may fit the bill. If nice dinners and quiet romance are more your idea of a honeymoon, than I don't think Breeze is it. So you just have to figure out what kind of honeymoon you want. We loved cruising, but we booked Sandals all inclusive Jamaica for our honeymoon because we didn't want to be rushed to wake up and be on a specific itinerary. There were plenty of hammocks and dinners by the beach, really nice dinners too, and included sail boats and snorkeling and diving, and all the drinks were included. It was serene and yet still had some fun dance on the beach by the fire caribbean style parties. We haven't done an AI since but we did really like it! We enjoyed the weddings on the pier every day, the volleyball on the beach through out the day, and not really having to worrya bout much of anything. We only had a set dining time once for one of the really nice restuarants because you had to make reservations for, but the rest of the time, we could go any time. Not sure if that helps or not. But perhaps figure out what kind of honeymoon you are looking for. NYE is likely to be a party scene on the Breeze...

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

So I've made up my mind...If you can't choose between the 2 ships, then why not do them both! Just last week I booked a cruise with my brothers and friends on the Carnival Breeze in February and I will do the Celebrity Reflection for the honeymoon next December. Its a win-win in my books. Thanks again for everyones replies. Much appreciated :)

I think any cruise ship will have kids that week.

Choose Carnival, and make liberal use of the Serenity deck. Choose either anytime or late dining. Most families will be at early dining.

I would agree with this approach as well. I also agree with the postors that after 5 days of adult only, a little light fun and relaxation would be a welcome change. Kids are found everywhere. Just go where they are not or minimal, besides on our cruising experience, I didn't really take notice of the numbers of kids. I have to chuckle... the wife just reminded me that we spent our honeymoon (24 years ago) at Disney World. Kids, kids everywhere! Helped us to act like kids and enjoy ourselves.

Just last week I booked a cruise with my brothers and friends on the Carnival Breeze in February and I will do the Celebrity Reflection for the honeymoon next December.

Ok....envy starting to sink in! :o

Wonderful! It definitely sounds like an awesome plan. Have a great time, and congratulations! :D