Have you ever paid duty on alcohol purchases?

We brought back two bottles of duty-free rum we purchased on board the Conquest back in 2003. We have a group cruise coming up in Feb. of 2006 and my friends are wondering just how many bottles they are allowed to bring back. We are traveling to Cozumel and Costa Maya. I know we are allowed at least one or two bottles duty-free but how much duty do you pay if you bring back, say...4 bottles each?

The duty is very small compared to the savings. I brought back 8 bottles over the allowance and it was around 15 to 18 dollars. Of course they may charge more for hard liquor Vs the liqueurs. Most of what i brought back was rums made in St thomas/st Marteen. I saw in one of the stores here the flavored rum was selling for 18.99 per bottle and i paid 5 or 6 for it. Hope that helps .

Can I bring back alcohol for my personal use?

Question

Can I bring back alcohol for my personal use or as a gift?

Answer

Generally, one liter per person may be entered into the U.S. duty-free by travelers who are 21 or older, although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more. See our publication, "Know Before You Go" for additional information. Additional quantities may be entered, although they will be subject to duty and IRS taxes. Duty is generally 3% of value and the IRS excise tax is generally between 21-31cents per 750ml bottle of wine, 67 cents/champaigne, and $2.14/ hard liquor.

It is not legal for travelers under the age of 21 to import alcohol - even as a gift.

The total amount of alcohol you may enter the country with is primarily determined by the laws of the state where you will arrive back into the U.S. Each state's ABC board (or equivalent ) sets the amount of alcohol a person may bring into the state without a license or permit from that state. Travelers must check with the appropriate state ABC board, as the amounts vary from state to state. We regret that we are unable to provide this information, but CBP staff is not able to maintain information about each of the 50 State's various requirements.

There is no federal limit on the amount of alcohol a traveler may import into the U.S. for personal use, however, large quantities might raise the suspicion that the importation is for commercial purposes, and a CBP inspector could require the importer to obtain an ATF import license (which is required for all commercial importations) before releasing it. If you do intend to travel with a large quantity of alcohol, we suggest you contact the entry branch of the port you will be entering the country through to discuss your situation in advance.

Duty rates on alcoholic beverages can be obtained in Chapter 22, "Beverages, Spirits and Vinegar," in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule.

Alcoholic beverages purchased in duty-free shops are subject to duty when you bring them with you into the United States.

• Traveler bringing tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, bidis) to the U.S. for their personal use.

Back to Search Results

Archived