Jewel Aft suite verses Getaway Balcony? WWYD?

singinglizzie

I am hoping to take my teenage daughter on her first cruise, next February to the Caribbean to "get rid" of the FOB credit I bought a few years ago :-) Choices are an aft suite with perks on the Jewel or a balcony room on the Getaway. The Getaway itinerary is slightly more exciting to the Eastern Caribbean, compared to the Western, which includes Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. I asked my daughter if she would prefer being a VIP on an older ship or going on a larger newer ship, and she said "VIP". What would you do in my situation and why. I just can't decide since I think either could be a great trip. Thanks.

I'd go with what she requested. If she doesn't enjoy the ports (as much), at least she will enjoy the suite!

Also, someone just reviewed a private tour they took on Roatan and it sounded *excellent*, at a port that sometimes gets less than 5* reviews. I didn't bookmark it because not on my foreseeable itinerary, but use the search function... It WAS on NCL because that's all I've been reading lately. They probably also reviewed their activities at the other western ports.

PS -- Also, you asked. Respecting her answer has got to go a long way in teenage relations!

Edited by crystalspin
PS

I'd definitely go with Jewel and perks too. While Getaway has all the bells and whistles, it also has over a thousand more passengers onboard. Jewel is a nice and more relaxed (less crowrds) ship and having the suite perks would make the choice a no-brainer for me.

Thank you crystalspin and Demonyte for your input. I guess my hesitancy on the Jewel is that based on reviews she is started to look "old" (like me I guess) and I prefer the eastern Caribbean itinerary, plus the Getaway looks much more exciting, is less expensive and will be new! In my fantasy world we would get a haven suite on the Getaway :-) However since that isn't going to happen, the aft suite on the Jewel might be a good compromise, but I personally have little interest in the itinerary. My original plan to use that darn credit, was to book a spa class on the Getaway, but since my daughter will only be 14, she wouldn't be allowed to us the spa facilities. My understanding is that on the Jewel she will be able to use the fitness center with an adult present, but that the workout machines are few and limited. I have sailed b4 on the Star in the SJ suite and the perks were priceless. Oh gosh, still can't decide.

Jewel aft suite.

No question.

The Jewel is not old. Stop it.

For me it's simple because Get/Breakaway has over 4,000 passengers on board compared to the Jewel's 2,000 or so. Way different experience. Plus, the suite life and the perks are not to be missed.

Jewel aft suite.

No question.

The Jewel is not old. Stop it.

For me it's simple because Get/Breakaway has over 4,000 passengers on board compared to the Jewel's 2,000 or so. Way different experience. Plus, the suite life and the perks are not to be missed.

Ditto.

The Jewel is a fun ship

Jewel and the NCL Suite Life. Definitely worth it. But be careful: You and anyone else on the trip will have hard time cruising in a regular room after this one!

The Western Caribbean itinerary is great if you've never done it before. Roatan has great beaches with reefs so close you can snorkel right off the beach. Belize has part of the second largest barrier reef in the world. Cozumel is...well...Cozumel.

Ok, thanks everyone - sounds like Jewel is a good choice... but what about the Jewel compared to the Dawn? We can get a suite (SJ category) and it is about $500 less, same dates, similar itinerary, but departs out of NOLA. I've read that the two ships are very similar, with the main difference being the ocean front space near the pool deck on the Dawn was replaced with the new suites, that we would be staying in :-) like the star.

Would you go on the Dawn if you could save $500 but still stay in a suite??? Again, thanks.

I LOVE the Western carib. itineraries! Does your daughter like snorkeling? or zip-lines? South Shore is my fave zipline (compared to Pirates), and they have an option to take you to West Bay beach after , which has the best snorkeling I have ever done so far. How old? I forget what the age for a discovery scuba dive is, but we thought Alex Scuba was GREAT in cozumel for a two tank off shore dive for those with no experience. Cave tubing in Belize is also something unique.

I sailed on the Jewel in an AFT Penthouse and I've sailed the Breakaway (Getaway's sister ship) in the Haven. NCL suite perks are AMAZING!! I wouldn't sail the Getaway unless I was in a suite bc of the crowds. I have to sail during Peak times bc I'm a teacher. I sailed the Jewel in Feb during President's Week and the ship was PACKED!! The suite perks were well worth it. I loved both ships. If your sailing during a holiday week, go with the Jewel and suite perks.

Ok - sounds like the Getaway is now off the table and it's between the Jewel and the Dawn? I think the Jewel is a class above the Dawn, but I'm not certain of the aft suite. Having stayed in an SJ suite I sort of know what to expect on the Dawn. We will be travelling Presidents week in 2015 (yeah it's a ways away but time will fly), and by booking this early, we will get $400 in OBC! What say you my internet savy NCL friends - Dawn or Jewel???

Ok - sounds like the Getaway is now off the table and it's between the Jewel and the Dawn? I think the Jewel is a class above the Dawn, but I'm not certain of the aft suite. Having stayed in an SJ suite I sort of know what to expect on the Dawn. We will be travelling Presidents week in 2015 (yeah it's a ways away but time will fly), and by booking this early, we will get $400 in OBC! What say you my internet savy NCL friends - Dawn or Jewel???

The ships are more similar than not. The Jewel gets a nod for having the Great Outdoors (outdoor seating and bar in the aft) and Spinnakers (lounge with huge windows forward whereas on the Dawn that space was moved to a small area in the aft). But the Dawn has a nicer atrium area and Pearly Kings (English style pub). Bars on the Jewel are lumped together.

I prefer the Jewel class overall....but by a very small margin. For me the tie breaker would perhaps be if you haven't been to NOLA before??

Edited by Cubechick

Thank you to everyone that has replied. Now thinking we will book the Dawn, if its similar to the Jewel. $500 will buy lots of excursions and help cover tips, plus Dawn is out of NOLA and includes one extra port. Of course if some extra $$ comes my way, or prices drop we would jump ship to the Jewel, but probably unlikely since the week we want to go includes President's day. I think Dawn will be a good choice. If anyone else has any other thoughts, we would appreciate hearing them.

We've sailed the Dawn many times, both when she was new and after refurbish -- also sailed the Jewl several times. Both ships and crew represent what NCL does best -- beautiful ships with great staffs, restaurants and entertainment. You won't go wrong with either choice :)