Galveston Parking Options

EMBFlyer

We're taking our first cruise of Galveston in March on the Navigator. Since we've never been to Galveston, I'm trying to get a feel for the parking options there. I know the Port has offsite parking with shuttle buses and I know there are several private lots.

What is the best option? Also, we like to get to the pier early and board in one of the first groups. Are their lots available where this is an ok option or will they make us wait to park? Thanks.

We're taking our first cruise of Galveston in March on the Navigator. Since we've never been to Galveston, I'm trying to get a feel for the parking options there. I know the Port has offsite parking with shuttle buses and I know there are several private lots.

What is the best option? Also, we like to get to the pier early and board in one of the first groups. Are their lots available where this is an ok option or will they make us wait to park? Thanks.

We parked at the port, reserved in advance, it was $45. It's 50 if you don't. Of course that price is based on my cruise (5 day on carnival.). We originally wanted http://www.galvestonparkncruise.com but it was sold out.

As the previous OP said, Park N Cruise is right across the street from the port and you can just walk to the terminal. That is what we did before. We got there between 10:00 & 10:30 and had no problem parking and going to the terminal. They have outdoor and indoor parking.

Loved Park N Cruise, used them twice! So easy to park, walk across the street and then board. Coming home we are self disembark and to the car before 9am heading home!

I know! Isn't it great? Last time we parked at Boi Valet which was right on the corner at the red light but apparently they went out of business so we went ahead and reserved Park N Cruise of our next cruise. It is much handier than having to wait on a shuttle. We do the self disembark too.

I've used Park N Cruise once, and they were fine, but I've used EZ Cruise Parking and Discount Cruise Parking for the past few cruises. For one, I find it a whole lot easier to just hop on the shuttle going or coming, rather than try and cross Harborside with allllll our luggage. (Since it's just my son & I, I can't really drop him and the luggage off at the terminal entrance.)

We have never waited more than a few minutes for the shuttle after we disembark, with either company. It has just proven much more convenient for us. And the folks running/working at both places have always been so nice and helpful. (And at DCP, you have the added bonus of a big Exxon convenience store and restrooms right there on the property.)

But the main reason I stick with the further away lots is for a little more security against flooding. EZ Cruise has, I believe, the highest elevated lots on the island. DCP is at a high part of Harborside as well. I've lived in the general area for most of my life -- and it doesn't have to be hurricane season for us to get flooding rainfall amounts in SE Texas. Even though the close-to-the-terminal lots are somewhat elevated (I think), it's only a couple of feet. It's really low down there by the port... You only have to walk the Strand and look at the Ike markers to see how the water was 8-9 feet high there to realize how bad it can get.

just my .02,

-gina-

I've used Park N Cruise once, and they were fine, but I've used EZ Cruise Parking and Discount Cruise Parking for the past few cruises. For one, I find it a whole lot easier to just hop on the shuttle going or coming, rather than try and cross Harborside with allllll our luggage. (Since it's just my son & I, I can't really drop him and the luggage off at the terminal entrance.)

We have never waited more than a few minutes for the shuttle after we disembark, with either company. It has just proven much more convenient for us. And the folks running/working at both places have always been so nice and helpful. (And at DCP, you have the added bonus of a big Exxon convenience store and restrooms right there on the property.)

But the main reason I stick with the further away lots is for a little more security against flooding. EZ Cruise has, I believe, the highest elevated lots on the island. DCP is at a high part of Harborside as well. I've lived in the general area for most of my life -- and it doesn't have to be hurricane season for us to get flooding rainfall amounts in SE Texas. Even though the close-to-the-terminal lots are somewhat elevated (I think), it's only a couple of feet. It's really low down there by the port... You only have to walk the Strand and look at the Ike markers to see how the water was 8-9 feet high there to realize how bad it can get.

just my .02,

-gina-

We don't carry much luggage so it is not a problem for us to cross at the red light. We prefer to be able to leave early off the ship and cross the street, get in our car and head home. It saves us some time.

We did use EZ Cruise once but wasn't crazy about them. We like to get to the port earlier than they are willing to take you.

However, it is a good thing that not everyone likes the same parking places because if they did there wouldn't be room for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

We drop luggage off at the port, and then drive across the street to the Park N Cruise. (you can just drop off luggage with the porters...you don't have to accompany them)

Both times we've used PnC (booked online prior to cruise day), we were there early enough to get in the "closer" lot. Note they do have a few lots, some closer than others.

Park your car, lock it up, wheel your carry-on down the sidewalk, across the street (and across some railroad tracks, too, which weren't too hard to navigate), and walk into the terminal.

With early disembark, we have been in the car and on the road by 7:30am. Makes the trip back to KC more bearable, with such an early start. It's bad enough you *had* to just get off the ship! :rolleyes:

GP

• 2 weeks later...
The Port Of Galveston Texas has some good information for cruisers. Here is a link to it that you might find useful.

Unfortunately, Jim, that link only lists the parking terminals the City wants you to use...those they make money from. They don't list any private businesses. Thanks anyway.

Unfortunately, Jim, that link only lists the parking terminals the City wants you to use...those they make money from. They don't list any private businesses. Thanks anyway.

It is fairly easy to find a place to park near the terminal. As you are driving toward it, you will see people standing along the road with signs and waving you toward their private lots.

We have never used one of the private businesses, preferring instead to use the parking closer to the terminal where we can have secure parking and shuttle service.

We have never used one of the private businesses, preferring instead to use the parking closer to the terminal where we can have secure parking and shuttle service.

I don't know of one private lot that isn't secured and offers shuttle service. And interestingly, the line for the port's shuttle to their (overly priced) lot is always so much longer than the other lines...

We did use EZ Cruise once but wasn't crazy about them. We like to get to the port earlier than they are willing to take you.

Strange.. I wonder if they were down a shuttle that day or something? I know that's not normal -- My son and I are the type of cruise nerds who like to be the first ones at the terminal, lol... EZ Cruise has always gotten us there just fine. :)

Is Discount Cruise Parking covered parking? Their website didn't say. Thanks!

No, theirs is all outdoor. Someone feel free to correct me, but I believe Park 'N Cruise are the only ones who have indoor parking available. I've never really paid attention, honestly. I'm sure someone else has a better answer!

-gina-

No, theirs is all outdoor. Someone feel free to correct me, but I believe Park 'N Cruise are the only ones who have indoor parking available. I've never really paid attention, honestly. I'm sure someone else has a better answer!

-gina-

I believe you are right that Park 'N Cruise is the only one with indoor parking. There was another one Boi Valet but it appears that they are no longer in business. I have been unable to confirm this but their website is no longer available.

I don't know of one private lot that isn't secured and offers shuttle service. And interestingly, the line for the port's shuttle to their (overly priced) lot is always so much longer than the other lines...

-gina-

Can you recommend a private lot offers both security and shuttle service?

Can you recommend a private lot offers both security and shuttle service?

*points further back in the thread* Already did. :) I highly recommend both EZ Cruise and Discount Cruise Parking. Both have secured, fenced lots, continuous shuttles with full luggage assistance, and truly awesome people running things. Small businesses, family businesses. One pro for EZ Cruise is that they have the highest elevated lots, and one pro for DCP is that they're adjacent to a big Exxon convenience store for last-minute purchases, and restrooms for last-minute pitstops.

Park 'N Cruise is great too -- I just don't use them because for me, it was way more of a hassle to haul all that luggage over to the terminal. It is much easier for me to have a shuttle drop me, my son, and our luggage off right at the front.

-gina-

Someone feel free to correct me, but I believe Park 'N Cruise are the only ones who have indoor parking available. -gina-

It appears from the website that Lighthouse Parking is covered (lighthouseparking.org). Please someone let me know otherwise if that's not true. They are the only one outside P&C I've found that is covered though. We had covered parking a few years ago in Galveston, but they only had golf carts AND didn't take us all the way to the terminal, so we won't be using them again! (We're also spoiled with Angel from Machu Picchu parking in NOLA...covered parking, van to terminal, and sooooo nice and professional.)

It appears from the website that Lighthouse Parking is covered (lighthouseparking.org). Please someone let me know otherwise if that's not true. They are the only one outside P&C I've found that is covered though. We had covered parking a few years ago in Galveston, but they only had golf carts AND didn't take us all the way to the terminal, so we won't be using them again! (We're also spoiled with Angel from Machu Picchu parking in NOLA...covered parking, van to terminal, and sooooo nice and professional.)

I believe that Lighthouse does have covered parking but it is not inside like Park 'N Cruise. It is more like a carport with no sides, I believe. We used Lighthouse several years ago. At that time they did not have any covered parking. Maybe you will hear from someone who has parked there recently.

We don't take much luggage so we use Park 'N Cruise so that we can just go across the street and not have to depend on anyone to take us anywhere. When we get off the ship, we get in our car and are on our way home. We beat most of the traffic.

I hope you are able to find a parking lot that you like.

Here is an interesting excerpt from The Port Of Galveston website concerning the official cruise parking lots.

Official Port of Galveston Parking Lots

The Port of Galveston parking lots are the only official cruise parking lots of the Port of Galveston. They are currently identified as Parking Lot A and Parking Lot B and are located at the intersection of 33rd Street and Harborside Drive. There are blue pole banners along the fence lines that read "Port of Galveston/Cruise Parking" to indicate the port's official cruise parking lots.

The Port is not affiliated in any way with any private parking lot operators in the City of Galveston. The Port is not responsible for the security of any vehicles parked at an unofficial lot or the transportation of persons or property between the cruise ship terminals and any unofficial lot, nor is it liable for any claims relating thereto. Any complaint or claim relating to vehicles parked at an unofficial lot or the services provided by that operator should be directed to the operator of the lot and not to the Port of Galveston.

OK....if I haven't already confused anyone ELSE with my parking questions....I just figured out that I WAS CONFUSED! :o The previous parking we used several years ago, WAS PARK N CRUISE. It was our first time cruising/first time at that port, and we didn't know we could drop off bags (and people) at the terminal....and the poor folks at P&C evidently didn't know we didn't know! :confused: They took us, in the golf cart, down the alley with ALL our week's worth of luggage, and dropped us at a corner at 25th street. There were 6 of us in all! We lugged ALL our luggage, IN THE RAIN, the half block to Harborside, across the street, and to the terminal. It was miserable!!!! We learned, too late of course, where to enter the terminal drive-through to drop off bags and people. I think I was thinking "Park n Cruise" WAS the name of the Port Parking facility.

So....from the information generated on galvestoncruises.com (no idea who runs that website), the only covered parking options are P&C, the Port Parking, and Lighthouse. For a 7 night cruise, P&C is $65, Port parking doesn't list covered pricing but uncovered is $60, and Lighthouse is $55. It says Lighthouse is 6 blocks away and shuttles you and your luggage.

That helped with my decision. Hope it helps someone else! :D

OK....if I haven't already confused anyone ELSE with my parking questions....I just figured out that I WAS CONFUSED! :o The previous parking we used several years ago, WAS PARK N CRUISE. It was our first time cruising/first time at that port, and we didn't know we could drop off bags (and people) at the terminal....and the poor folks at P&C evidently didn't know we didn't know! :confused: They took us, in the golf cart, down the alley with ALL our week's worth of luggage, and dropped us at a corner at 25th street. There were 6 of us in all! We lugged ALL our luggage, IN THE RAIN, the half block to Harborside, across the street, and to the terminal. It was miserable!!!! We learned, too late of course, where to enter the terminal drive-through to drop off bags and people. I think I was thinking "Park n Cruise" WAS the name of the Port Parking facility.

So....from the information generated on galvestoncruises.com (no idea who runs that website), the only covered parking options are P&C, the Port Parking, and Lighthouse. For a 7 night cruise, P&C is $65, Port parking doesn't list covered pricing but uncovered is $60, and Lighthouse is $55. It says Lighthouse is 6 blocks away and shuttles you and your luggage.

That helped with my decision. Hope it helps someone else! :D

Glad you got it figured out. I know it eases your mind when everything is figured out and set. At least it always is for me.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!