Electric Car 0730am ??

Traveling Fisherman

We're arriving in EWY at 0730am on the Victory in December. We are considering renting an electric car and doing our own tour of the island. The problem I keep running into is all of the Electric Car rental company's seem to open at 0830 \ 0900 \ 0930am. Im worried if we wait that late to pick up our car, we wont have time to do much as our ship departs at 1400pm, which means we will need to turn the car in by 1245-1300 and head back to the ship.

Has anyone else ever had the same problem? Or know of a rental company that opens earlier? We have a faster to the fun pass and were hoping 2 of us could get off at 0730am, quickly pick up the car and be back to the ship by 0800am to pick up the rest of our group.

FTTF pass won't really matter here as it's a walk off port. As soon as the ship is cleared you can exit. No need to take a tender so that's a mute point.

We looked into doing this as well, but since we deapart at 1:30 pm we REALLY would have a short time with the car and I didn't want to wait around (which is all I could find) until they did their pick up at the port, then go to the rental place, do the paperwork, and vice versa on the way back. That cuts my port time (enjoying myself) by about an hour each way and while we are only in port for 6 hrs total (5.5 if we want to be back on the ship 30 minutes prior to departure) that would really cut into our day.

We've decided to hoof it, as we can cover alot of ground in those two extra hours and we don't need to see the southernmost point and Hemmingways as we've already done it.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

We're arriving in EWY at 0730am on the Victory in December. We are considering renting an electric car and doing our own tour of the island. The problem I keep running into is all of the Electric Car rental company's seem to open at 0830 \ 0900 \ 0930am. Im worried if we wait that late to pick up our car, we wont have time to do much as our ship departs at 1400pm, which means we will need to turn the car in by 1245-1300 and head back to the ship.

Has anyone else ever had the same problem? Or know of a rental company that opens earlier? We have a faster to the fun pass and were hoping 2 of us could get off at 0730am, quickly pick up the car and be back to the ship by 0800am to pick up the rest of our group.

We are in the same position in 2 weeks on the Carnival Imagination. We arrive at 7:30 am and we depart Key West at 1:30 pm. We always rent from Sunshine Scooters....they are wonderful. The couple who own it....Jon and Sherry are super friendly. When you call in you will speak to Sherry....explain to her that you arrive at 7:30 am and they will make sure that they are there early to pick you up when you get off the ship. They will accommodate the time when you arrive in Key West.

I can't say enough good things about Sunshine Scooters. They will make sure that you are able to maximize your time in Key West

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are in the same position in 2 weeks on the Carnival Imagination. We arrive at 7:30 am and we depart Key West at 1:30 pm. We always rent from Sunshine Scooters....they are wonderful. The couple who own it....Jon and Sherry are super friendly. When you call in you will speak to Sherry....explain to her that you arrive at 7:30 am and they will make sure that they are there early to pick you up when you get off the ship. They will accommodate the time when you arrive in Key West.

I can't say enough good things about Sunshine Scooters. They will make sure that you are able to maximize your time in Key West

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much!! I will give sunshine a call.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much!! I will give sunshine a call.

You're welcome....come back here and let me know what she says.

We have been to Key West 4 times and we rent an electric car every time. They are so much fun

We were also on the Imagination with this time schedule. We too rented from Sunshine. We ate breakfast around 7:30 on the ship and then walked off the ship around 8:15 or so. It was a breeze getting off the ship as the eager beavers had already rushed off. We called sunshine as soon as we were off and the driver "flipper" was there to pick us up within minutes. We had plenty of time to shop, go through museums, drive the whole island, etc. We dropped the car back around 12. You only get a certain amount of battery time anyway so you can't go too long/far.

We were also on the Imagination with this time schedule. We too rented from Sunshine. We ate breakfast around 7:30 on the ship and then walked off the ship around 8:15 or so. It was a breeze getting off the ship as the eager beavers had already rushed off. We called sunshine as soon as we were off and the driver "flipper" was there to pick us up within minutes. We had plenty of time to shop, go through museums, drive the whole island, etc. We dropped the car back around 12. You only get a certain amount of battery time anyway so you can't go too long/far.

Key West is our favorite stop so we plan on getting off the ship as soon as we are able to. I just love the atmosphere in Key West.

By the way when you were there did the Imagination dock at the Outer Navy Mole and then you were shuttled into town on the Conch Tour Trains and Trolleys

Key West is our favorite stop so we plan on getting off the ship as soon as we are able to. I just love the atmosphere in Key West.

By the way when you were there did the Imagination dock at the Outer Navy Mole and then you were shuttled into town on the Conch Tour Trains and Trolleys

I don't know the official name of the dock but we were able to walk off the boat, down a pier and right into the town. We were right beside the statue garden.

• 2 months later...

I just booked through Sunshine Scooters. Sherry was awesome! And they give a military discount which is a plus!!

Kirsten

I just booked through Sunshine Scooters. Sherry was awesome! And they give a military discount which is a plus!!

Kirsten

You won't be disappointed. They are awesome. When you go tell them I said hello and look on the wall for my thank you letter with pictures

Just my opinion, but unless you have trouble walking, skip the electric cars and walk. That's the beauty of Key West, you don't need a car here to see most of the attractions a first time visitor is typically interested in. Parking cars be difficult and our narrow one way streets can be tricky to navigate. I think it is unusual to have such a small, compact City. Save your driving for when you get home and walk.

Just my opinion, but unless you have trouble walking, skip the electric cars and walk. That's the beauty of Key West, you don't need a car here to see most of the attractions a first time visitor is typically interested in. Parking cars be difficult and our narrow one way streets can be tricky to navigate. I think it is unusual to have such a small, compact City. Save your driving for when you get home and walk.

I could not agree more.

Far too many tourists are involved in serious accidents due to the congestion.

Mike:)