Cabanas on Coco Cay

Gusters99

Before going on our last cruise in September of 2013 I found it difficult to find up to date information regarding the Cabanas on Coco Cay. I love going to the beach but need to stay out of direct sunlight. We have rented a cabana on Haiti during a past cruise and was very happy so I wanted to secure one for Coco Cay as well.

DH and I were sailing as a Suite guest so the concierge emailed us about 5 days before our departure date. You cannot book a cabana online at this time. He was kind enough to included a map of the lay out of the cabanas which I have attached and I was able to reserve one before we left home. RC calls this area The Island Oasis Cabana Club. We were not able to book a specific cabana as it is first come first serve - something I was not thrilled about. The cabanas are offered to suite and diamond members first but once on board any open cabana are up for grabs. During our time on Coco Cay only 50% of the cabanas were in use.

The cabana rental was $200 and included a bottle of champagne, a fruit plate, two bottles of water, beach towels, two floating beach mats, two sets of snorkeling equipment, a private buffet lunch, private rest rooms and a L shaped couch under the cabana with an attached deck containing two lounge chairs. There were also lounge chairs available on the sand to both sides of the cabana. The layout of the cabanas are similar to those on Labadee except these do not have the ceiling fan which we found to make a huge difference as it was a hot and humid day.

We arrived at Coco Cay at 9 am and we boarded the tender at 9:30 am. We made a bee line to the cabana area where we found the best four cabanas taken. We ended up taking cabana 7 as it was the last ocean front one available. As you can see from the map there is a rather large rock area and a stone wall between your cabana and the ocean. You are not able to swim in this area. We also discovered that we were located next to the small passage the tenders used to come in and out of the island. We felt a little odd as folks arriving on the tenders were able to have a direct view of us. The exhaust from the tenders was not horrible, but we could have done without.

Around 11:30 am a bottle of champagne was delivered and 20 minutes later a fruit plate arrived. We also had two bottles of water although we were told we would have four. It was not an issue though as we did not need more than two. The lunch buffet was promptly open at noon and the options and the food were good. There was something for everybody and we enjoyed our BBQ lunch. There was steak, chicken, shrimp and vegetarian options.

After lunch I took a nap in the cabana which was very relaxing. Around 2 pm we noticed that people were leaving the cabanas and going back to the ship. By 2:30 there was only one other group left with us even though the ship was not leaving until 4:30. We felt that to be strange considering how much it cost to rent a cabana for the day!

For DH and I renting a cabana is worth it as we enjoy the view of the ocean while having a cover from direct sunlight. The cabana locations on Labadee are much better and I enjoyed that one much more.

1470341573_CocoCayCabanasMap.jpg.b253eb1b86feab7412a65041d0aba13e.jpg

we rented a cabana on our May 2013 cruise. since we booked cow sweet I was able to utilize concierge and had the reservation in place prior to sailing. they were first come first serve, but most of the early arrivers made a beeline for the cabana they want instead of checking in with the attendant. it could have gotten ugly when the first person in line almost took one of the front row cabanas that already had an occupant. luckily it all worked out. we really liked cabana 4 over 1-3. 1-3 face the beach and everybody walks by to check out the setups. also 4 has a wonderful breeze and you can set up a lounger right on the rock wall. BTW, we never got champagne. :(