changes to the Regal Princess

senior lady

Hi All

Lets look at the aft pool

With enough money and time anything is possible,

however what we are talking about costs lots money, and removes money making cabins,

so why do it, only reason is to to fill the ship, if by not having an aft pool Princess is having problems selling out the ship at the price they want

so if we are seeing discount prices just now to fill the ships, we will not see same low prices if an aft pool is constructed,

time, we know ships yards can preform the impossible in weeks just look at the Grand re model, but launch of Regal has been brought forward, would you want to do this if undertaking a big change,

while it is possible and they have the P&O ship plans to work to,

my guess we will see aft pool and other major changes on Royal class ship number three

will we see major changes on the Regal will believe it when Princess tells me, might just ask them tomorrow,

PS those on the Royal just now why have they not told us about the TV crew onboard or did they and I just missed it.

yours Shogun

This photo seems to indicate that it's very doubtful they'd rebuild the aft end to have a pool with terraced seating around it like Grand-class ships.

I would have to agree (thus my comment about the "grain of salt".) ;) Too bad, as I think this would be a nice addition. One of my few complaints about the Royal is how crowded the 2 existing pools are. Thanks, dmwnc1959, for the photo.

Hi All

Lets look at the aft pool

With enough money and time anything is possible,

however what we are talking about costs lots money, and removes money making cabins,

so why do it, only reason is to to fill the ship, if by not having an aft pool Princess is having problems selling out the ship at the price they want

so if we are seeing discount prices just now to fill the ships, we will not see same low prices if an aft pool is constructed,

time, we know ships yards can preform the impossible in weeks just look at the Grand re model, but launch of Regal has been brought forward, would you want to do this if undertaking a big change,

while it is possible and they have the P&O ship plans to work to,

my guess we will see aft pool and other major changes on Royal class ship number three

will we see major changes on the Regal will believe it when Princess tells me, might just ask them tomorrow,

PS those on the Royal just now why have they not told us about the TV crew onboard or did they and I just missed it.

yours Shogun

I understand and agree with your comment about weighing the money-making aspect of the cabins with the enjoyment factor of the pool, and would also agree that - based on the photo above - it is highly unlikely that they will be modifying the Regal as rumored. However, I do have to note that the single most common and most loudly voiced complaint about the Royal during our cruise was the fact that there were only 2 pools and that they were too busy and lacked adequate lounger seating; and the staff we spoke with indicated this was what they were hearing most, as well. Again, just passing on what I observed and heard.

As for the film crew, the were on board but were largely unseen in my experience. Not much to tell.

Here is a picture of the stern of Regal Princess as of October 19, 2013. It will be interesting to see if, since this picture was taken, they have modified the aft decks at indicated by the description above
With no disrespect to the people posting, I have to think that it is awfully late in the construction process to be starting rather large changes. Particularly, adding promenade deck.

If you look at the intro video for the P&O Britannia (and look quick) you can get some idea what an aft pool on the Regal Princess might look like. It looks to be mostly above the deck on the Sun deck (most likely similar to the extra splash pool on the Sun deck on Diamond/Sapphire) and not all that large, but it's there.

http://www.pocruises.com/britannia/

From the video, the "aft pool" is no more that the Diamond/Sapphire Sun deck pool and would be located where the youth outdoor play area and seating outside of the fitness center now is located on the Royal/Regal. The aft of the Lido, Sun and Sports decks on the Britannia are significantly wider than on the Royal and there is more room for loungers and other seating.

Even if the Promenade deck could be extended it would be uncovered & not like other ships. If an aft pool is possible it'll be interesting to see where it would be without major design changes. Some changes were made from the Royal's original CG photos however I'm skeptical that either of these changes could be made but could be wrong.
With no disrespect to the people posting, I have to think that it is awfully late in the construction process to be starting rather large changes. Particularly, adding promenade deck.
The Britannia video does not show a true Promenade deck either, although they do appear to show loungers on the forward portion of the Promenade deck. If you could walk under the life boats you would have some shade but it will not be a covered Promenade deck that people have learned to love on the Coral/Island and Grand class ships. The Royal/Regal are new designs and will be what they will be. Edited by IECalCruiser

The Royal and the NCL Breakaway are the fist two large ships to be built since the new SOLAS requirements went into effect. The Breakaway has her lifeboats on deck 7 the same as the Royal but they added The Waterfront to deck 8. From photos I have seen of The Waterfront, the boardwalk portion appears to be uncovered and has no deck chairs. It will be interesting to see the final designs of other new builds like the Quantum of the Seas.

The Royal and the NCL Breakaway are the fist two large ships to be built since the new SOLAS requirements went into effect. The Breakaway has her lifeboats on deck 7 the same as the Royal but they added The Waterfront to deck 8. From photos I have seen of The Waterfront, the boardwalk portion appears to be uncovered and has no deck chairs. It will be interesting to see the final designs of other new builds like the Quantum of the Seas.

This is correct. Any future cruise ships which have 'promenade decks' will be either completely uncovered as an extra add-on (Norwegian Breakaway), or nonexistent. A promenade deck is now something which is not required, as lifeboats are loaded directly from internal public areas, not an outdoor space.

3:37 p.m. EST) -- Princess Cruises will add a promenade deck, as well as an aft pool on its newest ship, Regal Princess, scheduled to launch in spring 2014.

Though Regal Princess will essentially be a twin to Royal Princess, the cruise line confirmed that it is tweaking Regal's design after receiving complaints from passengers. In particular, cruisers are unhappy that Royal doesn't have a promenade deck or an aft pool.

"Designing a prototype ship three years out is not an exact science and there are always opportunities to improve upon the original concepts based on real operational experience," a Princess Cruises spokeswoman told Cruise Critic.

The aft pool will be located in an area used for additional deck space on Royal. Royal will be retrofitted with the pool during its first dry dock.

Princess also will make the Deck 7 promenade accessible to passengers on Regal so they can walk the length of the

"(3:37 p.m. EST) -- Princess Cruises will add a promenade deck, as well as an aft pool on its newest ship, Regal Princess, scheduled to launch in spring 2014.

Though Regal Princess will essentially be a twin to Royal Princess, the cruise line confirmed that it is tweaking Regal's design after receiving complaints from passengers. In particular, cruisers are unhappy that Royal doesn't have a promenade deck or an aft pool.

"Designing a prototype ship three years out is not an exact science and there are always opportunities to improve upon the original concepts based on real operational experience," a Princess Cruises spokeswoman told Cruise Critic.

The aft pool will be located in an area used for additional deck space on Royal. Royal will be retrofitted with the pool during its first dry dock.

Princess also will make the Deck 7 promenade accessible to passengers on Regal so they can walk the length of the ship."

3:37 p.m. EST) -- Princess Cruises will add a promenade deck, as well as an aft pool on its newest ship, Regal Princess, scheduled to launch in spring 2014.

Princess also will make the Deck 7 promenade accessible to passengers on Regal so they can walk the length of the

Glad Princess finally made it official about the changes. I was beginning to think that people thought I'd imagined it:eek: lol

there is a staircase there, but it is for crew only. we had to use it for the muster drill. we were on the 8th deck in the dead center of the ship and it really was not a problem, maybe a little extra walking, but without the promenade deck, it helped with our exercise!

Note that they have not said they are installing a walk-around Promenade...only that people will be able to walk the length of the ship.

Glad Princess finally made it official about the changes. I was beginning to think that people thought I'd imagined it lol

I knew you still had it ;)

Edited by bdjam

Hi All

So Princess has listened to us the paying passengers,

so the day I phoned them and swapped my Royal cruise next November to the Ruby they decide to add a pool,:D

but what about the loo pper holder we need to know its new location.:)

Wonder who the boss of new builds will be since the old guy was moved to health and safety.

yours shogun

Glad to hear about these changes. I had thought I would stay away from these ships but with a promenade deck I think I will book and just tolerate the smaller balconies. Nice to see that Princess listens to its passengers.

BTW, the Regal Deck plans are different from those posted for the Royal, in that they are slightly more detailed than the Royals. Take a look at the Horizon COurt, for example. More detail of the configurations of certain spaces are included. That said, both are still in accurate (look at the Sanctuary).

Was there any discussion with the Princess staff about the soot issues, and if so, what did they say? We are going on the Regal next year (TA in Oct) and have an aft cabin booked. I am expecting they will have that problem fixed - being very positive :D