Hotel info needed!

WouldBeCruiser

Hi everyone. We are cruising from Ft. Lauderdale, and after our cruise we are staying in Ft. Lauderdale for an extra 4 days. The night before the cruise we are staying in a Holiday Inn that is close to the port, but for our extra days vacation

we are looking for a reasonably ( maybe even budget ? ) priced hotel. Something fairly close to the touristy areas, with shops, cafes, beaches, in a safe area. We will not be renting a car and my hubby is a little mobility challenged, so we'd like to be close to a beach and all amenities.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

You need to tell us what your dates of need are. "Budget" pricing anywhere near the beach or within walking distance to things won't be found in the winter months.

You might want to look at the smaller hotels in Lauderdale by the Sea. It's sort of an "old time" Fort L. ;) On the beach, quaint, some good little spots to eat etc. I think lately it is becoming more popular with cruisers who have more than a day pre or post cruise to relax. It is further north from the port.

Well - I decided to do a little reading on this very informative site.

I made notes of the hotels that you were all recommending, and then went online to see what I could find.

I hate doing things like this - always worrying that I'll make a big mistake and get ripped off, finally made a reservation for Hyatt Regency Pier 66, and the price was $145 per night.for Dec. 14th to Dec 18th.

Someone please tell me that I did the right thing and that we are going to like the hotel, then I'll be able to sleep tonite!

I made notes of the hotels that you were all recommending, and then went online to see what I could find.

I hate doing things like this - always worrying that I'll make a big mistake and get ripped off, finally made a reservation for Hyatt Regency Pier 66, and the price was $145 per night.for Dec. 14th to Dec 18th.

Someone please tell me that I did the right thing and that we are going to like the hotel, then I'll be able to sleep tonite!

We stayed at Pier 66 and enjoyed the hotel. I would say that it isn't right next to many things you do have to take a cab to restaurants or shopping. The good thing is it is on the water taxi line, but you have to walk a little distance (through all the boats) to get to the water taxi.

Our room was one of the rooms on the canal (two level) and we thought it was well maintained. We also liked the Pool area.

I know very little about Pier 66.

We have chosen to stay at Bahia Mar. I have not yet stayed there, so take my info for what it is.

Bahia Mar, to me anyhow, seems to be within walking distance to the beach, many restaurants and shops. It is along the "main strip" on the Lauderdale beach. I don't how easy it will be for us, or you, to get to the downtown or Las Olas area.

On http://www.hiltonfamilymvp.com I am getting the following rates for your dates on dec 14-18

135.20 USD 2DBLS PRTL OCEAN VW NOSMOK Non-Smoking Room

151.20 USD 2DBLS OCEANFRONT RM NOSMK Non-Smoking Room

127.20 USD 1 KG ACC BATHTUB NO SMOK Non-Smoking Room

I hate doing things like this - always worrying that I'll make a big mistake and get ripped off, finally made a reservation for Hyatt Regency Pier 66, !

It's okay. Don't lose sleep. But it wouldn't be the most convenient for what you mentioned. Plan on using cabs.

Yes, I realized that it wasn't as close to shops and restaurants as I would have liked.

But I had seen so many hotels that were already fully booked for the dates I needed that I was starting to feel a bit desperate!

I think that the Water Taxi is just a short walk away, and as you say, we can always get a cab. The hotel does look nice and I'm sure we'll be comfortable.

Yes, I realized that it wasn't as close to shops and restaurants as I would have liked.

But I had seen so many hotels that were already fully booked for the dates I needed that I was starting to feel a bit desperate!

I think that the Water Taxi is just a short walk away, and as you say, we can always get a cab. The hotel does look nice and I'm sure we'll be comfortable.

What is it you want to do for four days? It sounds like you are going to spend a lot of money on taxis if you want to go somewhere.

Personally, I would rent a car and stay elsewhere.

Have you looked at the Courtyard Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach? I personally love the Hyatt Pier 66 and think you got a great rate and LOVE walking over the bridge!

Is your husband on a scooter? The water taxi cannot accommodate scooters or wheelchairs.

Just stayed at the Pier 66 last weekend. It is a gorgeous property and we loved the pool area. We were also given a free upgrade and got a room on the fifth floor that overlooked the pier. Got to watch the ships leave from our balcony on saturday afternoon (although it was sad as we were not on one)

As for a hotel, you made a great choice. I could not say one thing wrong about the property.

However as others have said you will need to rely on taxi. We had a car, but we still decided to do the water taxi saturday night as we wanted to go several places and didn't want to worry about parking (and we had a couple drinks) The walk is a little bit from the hotel, but it was nice to walk thru all the big yachts.

If you wait till after five the water taxi is just $13 or there is a two for one special running on travel zoo right now.

If you do decide to rent a car, just remember you also have to add in $20 per night parking at the hotel (even if yo self park) So that would be an extra $80 in parking that you could use for taxi's instead!!

Just some thoughts

If you do decide to rent a car, just remember you also have to add in $20 per night parking at the hotel (even if yo self park) So that would be an extra $80 in parking that you could use for taxi's instead!!

Just some thoughts

This is why I suggested renting a car and staying elsewhere.

For what you want, I would stay at Gallery One Doubletree. You can get a 1 bedroom suite on last minute travel .com for less than you are paying for the Hyatt. It's the 3.5 star hotel showing in the ft lauderdale beach area for those dates. It's 2-3 blocks to the beach and 1 block to Galleria Mall and a bunch of restaurants. It also has a water taxi stop.:)