Maho Beach - Sunset Bar

topcop

We are going on a Disney Cruise in a few weeks and my wife and I want to go to the Sunset Bar to watch the planes. Our daughter, son-in-law and their two children ages 6 & 4 want to come along.

We have been there before and know there is a small, unguarded beach, but cannot remember if it is safe enough for the children to play in the water, close to the beach, under parental supervision. The boys will love the planes but will need an activity between arrivals.

We would like to hear from people who have brought children there are saw young children there.

We are going on a Disney Cruise in a few weeks and my wife and I want to go to the Sunset Bar to watch the planes. Our daughter, son-in-law and their two children ages 6 & 4 want to come along.

We have been there before and know there is a small, unguarded beach, but cannot remember if it is safe enough for the children to play in the water, close to the beach, under parental supervision. The boys will love the planes but will need an activity between arrivals.

We would like to hear from people who have brought children there are saw young children there.

There is a bit of a drop off but if you are in the water with your kids they will be fine. We have had rogue wave surprise us at Baie Rouge but never at Maho.

The beach would not be too kid friendly. Just get the schedule for the "big plane" landings and plan the trip around that. Air France has mid day flights in.

Yep I agree, the beach has no calm water for kids to play. Some adults (me) can't swim there. The waves crashed over the top of my head, and others in the water too. It is a great place and the kids will love it. There are several small planes that come in between the big ones and I don't think the kids will get too bored there. Buy them a camera of their own so they can video the waves and planes. :):)

One more quick observation, at the Sunset Bar, topless women get a free drink. It is popular to pose next to the surfboard schedule topless. We have been there 2x and haven't seen a whole lot of toplessness, but something to think about when bringing kids. Every family makes their own choises about that. We talked to our kids before hand about that stuff. When we were there, a woman was posing by the board and I said to my son ( he hadn't seen yet) "Just look at me don't turn around" :) Of course he knew right away what was behind him, he turned beet red and looked down, the girl took her photo, put her top on and it was done. Honestly the tops don't cover much.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think the beach is safe for children or adults. It us rocky & small. There us a drop almost off shore. We were knocked down by rough water do much I almost couldn't get up w/ o help. Planes were mind blowing !

I have heard the trip to and from the pier can be extremely slow due to traffic conditions. Is it better to hop a cab, book and excursion thru the boat or is there another option to get there/back (water taxi ???)

We went in December, on a Tuesday. Traffic was a bit slow going over, but I think much of it was caused be a car broken down on the two lane road. We left the ship around 9:30 and took a taxi at $8 each. I think the trip was about 45 minutes.

We left around 2 and it took only a half hour. You just have to leave plenty of time to get back to the ship because there are draw bridges that do open. I new bridge is set to open very soon but our driver was unsure how much it would alleviate the traffic. there is no water taxi to Maho.

The beach isn't ideal, but with VERY CLOSE parental supervision, the kids were able to play close to the shore. The surf is very strong and only with a parent standing right there with the kids is this advisable.

The planes were great and the highlight was a KLM 747. Of course it is fun to watch the dopes try to stand in the jet blast of a plane taking off. We saw people and their things get tossed along the beach and into the water. The rest were sand blasted. I do not know why that is considered "fun."

Edited by topcop

1) You won't see topless ladies posing for pics mid day. The locals, medschool students and resort guests show up happy hour and later for the partying some nights.

2) Look on the sunset beach site for the plane schedule. The mid day flight from France is the biggest jet as I recall.

3) The beach is small and not great for kids. Even many sunbathers don't hang out because of the "plane watchers" hanging around doing nothing but blocking the sun.:D

4) There are youtube sightings available to watch if you can't make it. Bernard's Tours will take you there as part of the tour ...timed for the big jet to land. BUt get the schedule and take a cab if you want.

1) You won't see topless ladies posing for pics mid day. The locals, medschool students and resort guests show up happy hour and later for the partying some nights.

2) Look on the sunset beach site for the plane schedule. The mid day flight from France is the biggest jet as I recall.

3) The beach is small and not great for kids. Even many sunbathers don't hang out because of the "plane watchers" hanging around doing nothing but blocking the sun.:D

4) There are youtube sightings available to watch if you can't make it. Bernard's Tours will take you there as part of the tour ...timed for the big jet to land. BUt get the schedule and take a cab if you want.

We were there last week 12:30 to 1:30 and we saw 3 topless women at the bar but saw none posing for pics.

Won't even lie. I've been one of those ladies before, and it was midday. :o I didn't pose out by the sign, but if you keep your kids away from the bar you should be able to keep them away from rouge boobs. Also, I have seen topless women sunbathing at Maho, on the opposite end of the beach from Sunset.

I wouldn't say that the beach is very kid friendly. We had a day during our last visit that the waves looked like something that you would see in Hawaii. Huge. The small bar at the opposite end of the beach had to close because waves were coming through it, the road got flooded out, and one wave came up so forcefully that it hit a parked car and moved it. Not everyday is like that. But you have to read the waves. Also, when the big jets take off, it creates a sandstorm down the center of the beach, and sends people flying into the water. Maybe not super safe for the kiddos.

eandj:

"plane watchers" hanging around doing nothing but blocking the sun.:D

????

Really?

gary

Just saying the beach area can get full of tourists/cruisers just standing around waiting for planes. Mid day the beach can get pretty congested. Last time we were there a guy looking up with camera, standing on the curb by the road, almost got hit by traffic when he stumbled into the road.

We were there last week 12:30 to 1:30 and we saw 3 topless women at the bar but saw none posing for pics.

The thing is on this island especially, topless women can be seen at lots of beaches. No telling when. It's just that the Party atmosphere shown on the Sunset Bar web site doesn't USUALLY happen until later. During spring break time of course....another story.

Edited by eandj

Last March, although we thought we were getting in a taxi, we actually took the public "bus" system. It cost us $2 a person to take the 45 minute ride to Maho. The bus did stop maybe two or three times. We asked the bus driver if he would come back for us at 2:00 and he said yes and, although we weren't positive he would return, sure enough he was there at 2.

Won't even lie. I've been one of those ladies before, and it was midday. :o I didn't pose out by the sign, but if you keep your kids away from the bar you should be able to keep them away from rouge boobs. Also, I have seen topless women sunbathing at Maho, on the opposite end of the beach from Sunset.

I wouldn't say that the beach is very kid friendly. We had a day during our last visit that the waves looked like something that you would see in Hawaii. Huge. The small bar at the opposite end of the beach had to close because waves were coming through it, the road got flooded out, and one wave came up so forcefully that it hit a parked car and moved it. Not everyday is like that. But you have to read the waves. Also, when the big jets take off, it creates a sandstorm down the center of the beach, and sends people flying into the water. Maybe not super safe for the kiddos.

Well done! We will be in St. Maartin during the 1st week of Febuary. Not sure on which day we will be visiting the bar to drink and watch planes, but the DW will be topless. We are European, it is a European island and for "insert your diety here" sakes, they are only breasts - all mamals have them.

Let the flames begin,

S&M

Well done! We will be in St. Maartin during the 1st week of Febuary. Not sure on which day we will be visiting the bar to drink and watch planes, but the DW will be topless. We are European, it is a European island and for "insert your diety here" sakes, they are only breasts - all mamals have them.

Let the flames begin,

S&M

Do you really think that you will get flamed for showing skin on the St. Martin Board? I don't think that there is a more liberal board on all of cc.:D