Road construction update

Jhawktraveler

Yes, there are still road constructions ongoing.

At the moment there are several roads being serviced/ rebuilt. The main road to the Western side will have some delays (nothing major anymore).

And the high bridge will only have 1/2 side open for traffic. Delays only during peak office hours and none over 1/2 hour.

With your port times, you should be fine.

Wow, that's a long day! I'm jealous!

We had delays due to construction on the Queen Juliana bridge last week, but probably only about 10 minutes or so at peak times. We were back to our port after sunset with plenty of time to change clothes and go out for dinner at Rif Fort.

Yes, there are still road constructions ongoing.

At the moment there are several roads being serviced/ rebuilt. The main road to the Western side will have some delays (nothing major anymore).

And the high bridge will only have 1/2 side open for traffic. Delays only during peak office hours and none over 1/2 hour.

With your port times, you should be fine.

Thanks for the quick response, sounds like will be good to go in December, now we just have to decide exactly where to go -- so many good choices.

Wow, that's a long day! I'm jealous!

We had delays due to construction on the Queen Juliana bridge last week, but probably only about 10 minutes or so at peak times. We were back to our port after sunset with plenty of time to change clothes and go out for dinner at Rif Fort.

Yes it is a full day, the longest I've seen on any cruise except overnight stops. I'm excited to have that much time to explore and experience the island. Thanks for the info on traffic delays. What restaurant did you go to and would you do it again? Trying to decide on a place to eat dinner in town.

Hi Jhawktraveler;

We might be on the same ship. Are you going to be on HA Maasdam and be in Curacao on 12/15.

We are renting a car in Curacao as well. Did you book a car at the megaport? Do you know which port we will be docking at.

ISA65 ;

We are also wondering where to visit In the beautiful islabd. We like to find a nice quiet beach to relax and snorkel. We also love bird and animal watching in nature. Do you have any suggestions? We are thinking to make a big loop around the island.

Thank you for asking about the traffic delay and thank you for those replyed.

Yes it is a full day, the longest I've seen on any cruise except overnight stops. I'm excited to have that much time to explore and experience the island. Thanks for the info on traffic delays. What restaurant did you go to and would you do it again? Trying to decide on a place to eat dinner in town.

See my post here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1946579

Definitely recommend it!

Hi Jhawktraveler;

We might be on the same ship. Are you going to be on HA Maasdam and be in Curacao on 12/15.

We are renting a car in Curacao as well. Did you book a car at the megaport? Do you know which port we will be docking at.

We are on the HAL Noordam and will be in Curacao on 12/12, just a few days ahead of you. We booked the rental car with Avis at the megapier. I don't know what pier we'll be docking at but I don't believe they are very far apart so it should be fine either way. Have a great trip!

See my post here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1946579

Definitely recommend it!

Thanks for the information/recommendation, we'll check it out. What type of dress code? I'm assuming much like we would dress for smart casual nights onboard (ie. no shorts, tshirts....)?

We are on the HAL Noordam and will be in Curacao on 12/12, just a few days ahead of you. We booked the rental car with Avis at the megapier. I don't know what pier we'll be docking at but I don't believe they are very far apart so it should be fine either way. Have a great trip!

Thanks for the information/recommendation, we'll check it out. What type of dress code? I'm assuming much like we would dress for smart casual nights onboard (ie. no shorts, tshirts....)?

When we were there, we docked at the megapier. The other pier is a very short walk away. We walked all about that area.

For dinner, smart casual sounds like a good description. My husband dressed in slacks and a button up shirt but I think no tie. I wore a dress with sandals.

We also did not bring our camera in the evening, and while I wish we did since the sights were beautiful, it helped us blend in better. We didn't get the "tourist treatment". We felt more like locals. I could have brought my small camera.

For a fun experience, walk across the pontoon bridge to the waterfront seating near Iguana's. We went there for appetizers of bitterballen and frikandel. Both new to us and delicious. Live music and lots of locals.

Any idea of when all of this road construction will be completed? :confused:

We'll be there in January.

LuLu

~~~~

They're aiming for the end of December, but as things here tend to go slower than anywhere else - there's no telling.

Depending on how many hours you are in port, I wouldn't let this disturb your plans.

They're aiming for the end of December, but as things here tend to go slower than anywhere else - there's no telling.

Depending on how many hours you are in port, I wouldn't let this disturb your plans.

It is island time, after all. ;)

For reference, here's a pic of how close the mega pier is to the other pier. The first picture was taken from my balcony. The other ship is a 5-10 minute walk along the water and then through Rif Fort. The second picture was taken atop the bridge.

IMG_9127.jpg.e813397d64d6958dbf36d64dc0b1a321.jpg

IMG_9149.jpg.f6e33489c095fdad54d7c1e18a06353b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Queen Julianna bridge phase 1 is now complete and curently running normally - few roads works out to westpunt - with just minor delays

Do do the Western circuit

Porto Marie (pay) beach is great beach good snorkelling, fresh water showers, loungers and bar

and good things to see enroute ( salt pans with flamingos, photographic church at Willibrodrous and Nena Snachez gallery in an old Landhuis – free entry and upstairs is laid out as in olden days great out the back with all here huge colourful statues – but do watch out for dog poo around the grounds)

Cas Abou (pay) beach more sunbathing beautiful snorkelling not so good

Santa Crusie Beach – you can hire kayaks here and go see the Blue Room caves

Lagun is great for snorkelling - you can hire gear here but no freash water showers - I often see turtles and seahorses here –

Playa Kneepa Grandi beach - one of the most beautiful ever – there is a Landhuis Knip here – with a museum housed in it

Westpunt- Playa Forti – just pull in here for great pic stop of Westpunt

Do keep time for Shete Boka National park – a wondrous place

Unfortunately you need a full day to really appreciate Christoffell National Park

Hope this helps