Manual Wheel Chair Recommendations?

vegidolphin

I will be taking my elderly mother for her second cruise. Last time we had both a transport chair and a power wheelchair but she had problems using the power chair on board due to blindness in one eye and poor depth perception-luckily she didn't run anyone over. With the transport chair we had trouble getting around in the older cities (St. Thomas etc.) and where there were broken up cobblestone.

My question is there a way to modify a manual wheelchair which has to be pushed, where it will go over rough-terrain better? I know there are all-terrain wheelchairs out there, but they seem overly expensive and difficult to use on regular terrain. My preference would be to be able to use one wheelchair for both occasion without much conversion. Are there any specific manual wheelchairs anyone would recommend. How about after market wheels, casters, shocks, etc. Any suggestions/ experiences etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

How about after market wheels, casters, shocks, etc. Any suggestions/ experiences etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

For outdoor use over rough terrain you are going to need wider tires. Not sure what size casters you currently have but you need something wider and taller so that the wheels can get over the cracks & ruts easier. The same goes for the rear wheels a wider tire will go over rough terrain easier.

My chair has the small 3" casters up front and it is great on nice smooth indoor surfaces but it sucks outdoors once I get off of the pavement. Those little wheels just sink into the earth. The wider tires will be no problem indoors & will provide somewhat better performance outdoors. Good luck

Generally, a transport chair has wheels which are larger than the castors on a normal wheelchair, so if you had problems with cobbles I suspect it's about as good as it is going to get.

As hn suggests, a conventional wheelchair with outdoor, rugged tyres (go pneumatic rather than solid tyres) might make life a bit better but the front castors will still loosen a few teeth.

You can get bespoke chairs with pliant suspension at the front (Frongs Legs forks, etc.) but now we are really starting to talk expensive products which might be a bit over the top for the purposes of a cruise.

My suggestion would be a conventional manual chair with some 6" soft castors on the front and some pneumatic tyres on the back. it won't be perfect, but will be better than your previous experiences and will be managable on board.

You might also like to think about taking a spair pair of rough terrain wheels with you for use on the cobbles. They are just a push fit axle on most chairs and shouldn't cost a fortune.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

You could invest in a Free Wheel which could be attached to most good quality manual rigid frame wheelchairs. A rigid frame does not fold, although the back folds down for storage and to get in an out of the car. The wheels pop off (quick release). Check it out here:

http://www.gofreewheel.com/

Pneumatic tires vs. solid tires will give an easier ride on rough terrain, but also make punctures a problem. Be sure to take a flat repair kit (and a compact bike pump) with you if you are planning on using the wheelchair anyplace but on pavement.

If you are just looking for a sturdy light weight (not ultra light weight) folding wheelchair, an Invacare Patriot might be a good option, as you can get these with both pneumatic tires and casters, it folds, and it will be much easier to get around on shore trips, and on the ship with someone else pushing than a transport chair: http://www.sportaid.com/invacare-patriot-lightweight-folding-wheelchair.html

Edited by Splinter