Go down night before or day of?

sprite

Sprite --

Flying in the day before is a nice luxury but it is not required. Thousands of people make their on-time flights, their connections & their cruises every day. We'll all think positive thoughts for you.

Enjoy.

Well, better safe than sorry. Though it WOULD bug me to think I might be spending extra money unnecessarily... so why not make SURE the extra expense is worthwhile: don't just get in the NIGHT before -- get in the DAY before, if possible. Enjoy some leisure time in the city, have a nice, relaxing embarkation-eve dinner, maybe some entertainment, wake up and have a nice lazy breakfast, and then a calm, stress-free trip to the pier. Think of it as starting your trip a day earlier than everyone else! Have fun!

I'd fly in the day before if you can. That way you'll be nice and rested for the cruise. Flying in the morning of usually means getting up before dawn to make it to the airport on time. I've done it both ways.

This next cruise (in Aug) unforntunately we do have to fly out the morning of. Not my choice, but my daughter has an important commitment on the day before. So...I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I bought insurance. I know I'll be tired our first night out.

We stay at a very nice Motel 6 in Dania,Florida-- which is very close to the Ft Lauderdale Airport and the Port. It is near a State Park and Beach. We paid $60 per night in February. It's a great location because it is close to everything and yet feels very secluded because of the nearby State park.

:confused: Hi everyone - we've got our cruise and flight booked already and we'll be coming down the day of the cruise, which is out of FLL. Our flight gets in at 12:00 and I think the ship is leaving at 5:00. I'm worried about missing the cruise so I'm wondering if we should spend the extra $200 it will cost us to fly down the night before and $100 for a hotel.

Would like to hear your thoughts.

When we left out of Miami we flew down on Fri nite and Carnival had a check in table for all hotel guests going on the cruise. Was a lot easier checking in there than it would have been at the ship. Got to the ship and went right to the cabin!

Other cruises have been close by so did not take advantage. But would do so again if we had to fly in to a port.

We have a cruise at the end of September on the Mariner of the Seas. We're taking my parents (60's), and aunt & uncle (50's). Originally, we weren't going to fly down a day early but with it being hurricane season and travelling with older folks, we figured it wouldn't hurt to get down a day early to let them relax the day before. This way, if they forget anything it's a short walk/ride to any convenient store.

We live south of Washington, DC and the weather here is so unpredictable year-round. We've gotten into the habit of always flying out a day early. It's less stressful and it keeps us from going insane. :rolleyes:

since you already have your tickets and there will be a penalty to change them, I'd just keep the flights as they are, but buy insurance to protect you just in case.

For future cruises, fly out the day before if possible.

Having just seen a couple whose flight was delayed in Houston arrive late at SeaTac, I would sincerely suggest that you pay the extra $200 and arrive at the port stress free. These poor people landed at SeaTac at 3:15 pm and were getting their suitcases at 3:30 and their ship was due to leave port at 4pm. We never did find out what happend to them, but I don't see how they could have made it to the Port of Seattle in that time. Even if they did, it would have really dampened the holiday mood and the stress was horrible.

I read your reply that you can't change plans.

Just to add my two cents worth, we flew down the day before . We decided this for several reasons. Less stress, no early flight from Indianapolis to Miami, it was suggested to us by friends, and why not start the vacation one day earlier for the cost of a hotel room. Better weather in Miami than Indiana in November.

dan

We've managed to get our flight changed and we'll be going down a day early at no extra cost (except for the $50 hotel)! :D :D :D :D

I feel so much better now - thank you all for your input!

we recently were on a flight to canada and were behind a woman who had booked a cruise out of vancouver leaving the same day. Needless to say, her flight was delayed and she was absolutely FRANTIC that her party would miss the cruise. Consequently, she turned everyone's life upside down trying to resolve her diliemma. PLEASE go the day before!!

Sprite, you won't regret it! You're going to arrive at the ship nice and relaxed. We are sailing the Caribbean Princess on September 17, and we had arranged to go down one day early. We discussed going down two days early, but I didn't want to pay the $40 change fee imposed by the airline. Lo and behold, the airline had a slight schedule change (moved up our flight 1 hour), and since they made a change (albeit very minor and not to our disadvantage), they allowed us to change our flight to the day before with no charge. So now we're arriving two days early! We'll be staying at the Marriott Marina Hotel (our favorite hotel in Ft. Lauderdale) and I was able to get it for $86/night.

BTW, make sure you take good care of the ship for us!

DW and I are scheduled to go on our FIRST cruise on 07 Jan 2006 leaving New Orleans to go on abord Grandeur. I've watched WAY too many Airline tv shows on A&E channel. We opted to go down a day early and arrive early afternoon. Why?

1. Be relaxed and ready to go the next day without worries about plane delays or whathaveyou.
  2. Give you a chance to visit the town port in which you are leaving from if you havent already.
  3. PARTY in the port, visit the local hot spots and stuff. :cool::D:D:cool:

4. Sample the local food and flavors

To me...the above is just too much of a good thing to miss if we elect to fly down day of cruise. You are going on vacation, right? Why get all stressed out, worried about arriving? Especially if you are a guy..I'm sure I speak for the rest of the guys...we all don't need the missis on our azz about missing plane...plane delays..or whatever. Start your vacation RIGHT!

Archived