Pride of America Questions

Whimsy

Can someone please tell me if there is a specific side of the ship to book to see the islands? Also, are some balcony cabins better than others? I am not familiar with NCL ships. With Princess some balcony cabins are covered, half covered, larger, etc. Just wondering how Pride of America is laid out.

Has anyone done the cruise tour? How was your experience?

Thank you!

The POAm has many different style and type of cabins with lanais. As to which side of the ship for you to choose, it is like Fords and Chevys.

I like the port side, as I like the relaxing sail-by the Na Pali coast of Kauai on the last day of the cruise. We spend out time on the Lanai during that time and enjoy it.

Some like the starboard side, as to the possible sail-by of the Volcanoes at night.

Back to the lanais, for a nice sized lanai, the forward cabins on decks 8 and 9 offer a larger (deep) lanai. Some lanais on the ship have an overhang, some are open, and some have partial overhangs. The aft cabins on deck 8 and 9 on the corners offer a great wrap around lanai. The lanai on these is a little over half covered, but good for us. I have sailed in the deck nine ones.

I would not do the deck 10 aft wrap around lanai corner rooms as the stuuf that blows or drops from above (deck 11) ends up on your lanai, and also deck 11 people hanging out on the rail look onto over half of your lanai.

As to my favorite rooms and lanais, deck 12, rooms 12025, 12012, 12008. These lanais are fully covered.

Hope this helps you out some....as the POAm offers so many good choices for rooms and lanai styles.

Edited by Molokai-Chuck

We will be taking our third cruise on the POA at the end of January. We find the cruise is a good way to see the islands. Port side seems to be the most recommended side and we have stayed on this side each time. This gives you the better view of the Na Pali coast however, can't think of any other advantage. If the volcano is active of the big island with lava flow then the starboard side offers a better view. Some balconies forward are larger and more enclosed, however, I would try to stay away from the ones directly over the Mardi Gras Lounge as the music at night maybe slightly heard in these rooms.

DT

We just booked our first POA cruise, and read all the opinions about which side to book. If you look at the cruise map on the itinerary, you'll see that for most of the cruise, the Starboard side should be facing towards the islands. The exception is the Na Pali coast, where the ship turns around, and then the Port side would be better, as noted.

When we spoke to the NCL/CAS booking agent, they recommended the Starboard side, but I'm not sure if that comes from first hand experience or just hearsay. And when the ship is cruising between islands, it's probably fairly far out to sea anyway.

We went with the Starboard side, mostly to get the cabin type and location on the ship we preferred.