Sugar free desserts????

mom x4,grandma x4

Has anyone had sugar free desserts on their cruises ?

We have found the selection to be very small. One choice at a buffet, while regular desserts were 15 or more choices. At dinner you had 2 or 3 choices, while others had 6 or 8 choices. We don't expect to have as many choices as regular desserts, but we feel there should be a little more selection for those of us who cant have sugar? Do you agree? Also the ice cream shop by the pools, had lots of ice cream, but none that was sugar free, even though they served it as dessert at dinner, so we know they have it. The afternoon cookie tray by the pools was the same problem, nothing sugar free, so we diabetics had nothing. There are lots of diabetics and people who choose not to have sugar who cruise, and i think they should have a little better selection. We pay just as much for our cruise as the next guest. If you had only one choice of dessert at lunch, wouldnt you be upset?? Let me know, maybe I'm over reacting but this is how I feel. I have written the cruise line about this and got a possitive response from them, so I'll see if it changes any in December when we cruise again.

Our experience was on Disney Cruise line.

But dont get me wrong, we loved the cruise, the regular foods were great, just lacking in the desserts for people with special needs.

Please share your experiences with me so I can compare cruise lines.

Thankyou, mom x4,grandma x4

sometimes you have to ask

depending on how accomodating your waiter is, and whether or not he knows you can only eat sugar free desserts, he should have selections for you that are not on the menu.

Ferret,

Thanks for the suggestion, but we did ask. In fact at the buffet they dont even put the suagr free dessert out, you have to ask for it. They have a sign posted.

At dinner they only have the 3 choices that are on the menu. They will bring you ice cream that may not be on the menu, but apparently they make everything fresh each day, so there isnt anything just sitting there. You would think you could at least have the same desserts offered at lunch and dinner so you have more than one choice at lunch. Room service has nothing, they tell you to go to a restaurant and maybe they can help us with some ice cream, if they are open.

I have heard that they finally have a couple of sugar free desserts on the midnight dessert buffet on the 7 day cruise now. I hope this is true.

Thanks,

momx4,grandma x4

My last two cruises ('03 and '04) were on Sovereign of the Seas, and before that was MANY years ago and I was still eating sugar, so I can only address RCI. True, there were not that many choices, but there were several SF chocolate options on the chocolate buffet, and the SF options at dinner were quite good. In the afternoon, there were SF cookies available. One day, they did not have any and I complained. Later, when I returned to my cabin, there were about 2 dozen SF peanut butter cookies on a platter waiting for me! YIKES! I was very satisfied with the choices that were available and the way they went overboard (excuse the pun) trying to make up for the afternoon.

I'm on the Glory on 10/08/05, so we'll see how they compare. While I agree that many of us are avoiding sugar and would like to see more choices, when you consider that most fine restaurants don't offer a SF dessert option, having 3-4 choices sounds pretty good.

Thanks for the info. I will check out RCI in the future.

We were happy with the 3 or 4 dinner choices, it was at the lunch buffet there was only one choice. If you didnt like it you were out of luck. Then there was no sugar free ice cream or cookies by the pool like everyone else had and none with room service. Dinner selections were fine.

Let us know how the October cruise fares with s.f. desseets. Thanks again,

mom x4,grandma x4

Most of the cruises we have been on were with RCCL. My mother cannot have the sugar either however on the first night she always has told the waiter and they usually go above and beyond in creating special desserts for her. It is nice to have something special rather then just a bowl of SF ice cream. I have tasted many of the desserts they have served her and they were pretty good!

On all of the lunch buffet's, there have been SF options - cookies and pastries etc.

I think you will be happy if cruising on RCCL. ;)

Thankyou FlawaterFlirt and thankyou to everyone who has responded to my thread.It seems there is a big difference in cruise lines on this subject. I would like to try a RCCL cruise sometime. I think as more people request S.F. free foods the cruise lines will have more options. If anyone has just gotton back from or just about to go on a cruise, I'd appreciate you letting me know if you notice any S.f. desserts.

Thanks again to everyone for your input.

mom x4,grandma x4

Thankyou FlawaterFlirt and thankyou to everyone who has responded to my thread.It seems there is a big difference in cruise lines on this subject. I would like to try a RCCL cruise sometime. I think as more people request S.F. free foods the cruise lines will have more options. If anyone has just gotton back from or just about to go on a cruise, I'd appreciate you letting me know if you notice any S.f. desserts.

Thanks again to everyone for your input.

mom x4,grandma x4

We were on Carnival Victory last December and they had a different sugar-free dessert for dinner every night and they were very good. It was usually cake - like coconut, banana, chocolate, etc. They also had sugar-free dessert in the buffet area and sometimes there would be more than one selection. I don't remember any cookies though. My husband and I never asked for anything different but we may tell our waiter on our next cruise in October and see if they offer additional selections. I do think all the cruise lines should try harder since I'm sure there are lots of diabetics and others who would like sugar-free items available. I hope to hear more about this also.

I am also a diabetic and have cruised RCCL I have been very happy with the choices they give me for dessert. Not only at dinner either. The Windjammer always has 3-4 choices. Another option which I sometimes take is the no sugar added. It is not SF per say but they add no sugar while preparing. They use Splenda. Very very tasty desserts.

We bring the individual packets of crystal light too, some sugar free cookies. It just seems that for the money spent a person should not have to do that.

Hopefully more people will write to their cruise lines they like and make their thoughts known to the industry. That is how changes are brought about. I have written about many things and have seen many good changes every time we cruise. I know these changes were because people informed the cruise line that they waned the change. If enough people would do this, we would have a much more enjoyable food experience while cruising.

mom x4,grandma x4

I also try to limit my sugar and starch intake. I cruise on the Victory in November and hope to have some sugar free, or no sugar added options.:) I did notice that they have fresh fruit and cheese option on the menu. :rolleyes: That might be refreshing.

The sugar free choices on RCI are very good. In fact, many evenings I ordered the sugar free desserts because they sounded better than the regular desserts.

Not a diabetic, just somebody who watches their sugar intake.

RCI seems to do a really good job of accomodating special meal requests.

I was on NCL last year and every dinner had 2 SF options. Afternoon ice cream always included SF ice cream. I don't eat flour as well (it processes just like sugar in the body), so SF cakes/cookies are out for me. I find waiters to be good about bringing fresh fruit with whipped cream for dessert.

I am booked on RC Adventure in Sept 05 and wonder how the SF selection is on that ship. Anyone know?

Is Splenda available on the tables? Or do I need to bring packets?

THanks.

Does anyone know where I can write Carnival to request that they have sugar-free and caffeine-free drinks in cans available in the cabins? Last year they had diet Coke and regular Sprite so I left a note for our room steward to put some Diet Sprite in the room and he wrote that they didn't have it. I know you can get it at the bars but you get the little plastic cups and that's not much.

I dont know for sure for Carnival, but other cruise lines have a "Contact Me" icon on their official web sites that you can use. Carnival probably does too. Sometimes the icon is small and at the bottom of the page.

You might try that, if not, just give them a call and ask for an address to mail suggestions to them and I'm sure they will be able to help you. I have written several suggestions in the past to DCL on their web sites and have always received an answer within a couple of weeks. Good luck,

mom x4,grandma x4

I was on NCL last year and every dinner had 2 SF options. Afternoon ice cream always included SF ice cream. I don't eat flour as well (it processes just like sugar in the body), so SF cakes/cookies are out for me. I find waiters to be good about bringing fresh fruit with whipped cream for dessert.

I am booked on RC Adventure in Sept 05 and wonder how the SF selection is on that ship. Anyone know?

Is Splenda available on the tables? Or do I need to bring packets?

THanks.

I also typically avoid flour, but that is my one indulgence when cruising. I did find that on the chocolate buffet, they had several SF choices, which was a pleasant surprise. I figured I would have to sit with an empty plate while the rest of my party enjoyed. The SF choices were very nice! (I have pics.)

My experience with Splenda was hit and miss on RCI Sovereign of the Seas. Some areas of the ship had it, others did not. I always carry some with me just in case.

Also I found the same to be true with Diet Sprite. They had it in the bars, but when I asked my room steward for some, he said they didn't have it. I couldn't understand why if it was on the ship it couldn't be in my room, but :confused: he was adamant about that "no." I should add that in every other way, the steward was great, so I'm sure there was a reason, just not one I could figure out.

Our Princess cruise in Alaska in June always had at least one sugar free dessert on the menu in the dining room, and it was always a great dessert. There were also several sugar free choices at the buffet at both lunch and dinner, and they were very good too, usually a pastry or two was sugar free. I had no trouble, except the temptation to eat too much of the sugar free desserts.

I did bring my own Splenda, and left the torn packets around as a hint.

On all of our recent Celebrity cruises we enjoyed their selection of sugar free desserts. (at least 3 items on every menu) These were found in the buffet as well as the dining room and they were wonderful. My husband and I are not diabetic, but still choose these items because of their taste and presentation. They also had Spenda available, which I prefer to use over real sugar.

I was on Celebrity a few weeks ago with my grandmother who can't have too much sugar and they had a wonderful selection of SF desserts. However, she opted to have the regular stuff. In her words "It's only one week and its not like its going to kill me to have any regular sweets for a week. I can go back to my sugar free stuff when I get home.I'm not getting any younger anyway so might as well enjoy right?"

I guess she didn't want to be deprived of not having any regular sweets for once in her life.

• 3 weeks later...

As a Type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent), I have long observed that "no sugar" does not necessarily translate into low-carbs. Often, there are choices that do contain sugar, but are lower in carbohydrates than a "no sugar" cookie or cake. For example, a portion of the Italian dessert panna cotta, some flourless chocolate cakes (if they have nuts or cream, rather than potato as a base), cheese cakes, even pumpkin pie, without the crust. Another strategy is portion control: just ask for a 1/3 portion of some regular dessert. Personally, I have found that I do better with 'real food' than with a lot of chemicals. On my last cruise the chef prepared me some beautiful tiny fruit sculptures, with unsweetened whipped cream, and some excellent cheese plates.

Agree that there should be more options. A "diabetic diet" is just a healthy diet, one that many non-diabetics choose to follow.

Diabetes is a cruel condition. It is particularly hard to face all of those lovely food choices 7 or 8 times a day.

I have travelled on Holland America many times and their selection of SF items is quite something. They have an entire dessert carosel full of just SF desserts and the selection in the main dining room was awesome. They also had sherbert available every evening which to me is a subsitute for rich ice-cream

Trish

• 5 months later...

Archived