Meet & Greet with Entertainers

trbarton

Here are a couple of ways to find out who the entertainers are aboard

Go to youtube and the search phrase is the name of the ship

In google news set up an alert anytime your ship is mentioned.

Repost of two past Meet and Greed films I filmed

Emerald Princess

Golden Princess

Reading this thread I am confronted by several questions.
  1. What is the purpose of the Meet and Greet? Isn't it so that those of us on the Roll Call can put faces with the names we've seen on CC, and to make contact with our new friends?
  2. What are our expectations for ship's officers and staff? In my invitations to them I've listed the possible size of the group. If they want they have the opportunity to welcome and/or talk either to the group or 1:1. Most chose to interact 1:1. In one case the Captain arrived and I asked what his preference was, and he responded that he'd like to just talk with individuals - and this was immediately followed by one of the other organizers noticing the Captain, announcing him and shoving a mic into his hands, which I found to be rather insensitive.
  3. What kind of response do we expect from an invitation? I've received everything from no response, to phone message, to written note, to verbal message though another officer, to them showing up when they could. In one case the Passenger Services Coordinator showed up just long enough to explain that she and the Captain had other commitments (3 marriages) - which was an extraordinary response.
  4. What kind of commitment do we, as Cruise Critic members, make to the Meet & Greet? While I know that plans change, I have also written invitations to officers giving a group size, only to have less than 1/4 show up (OK this is my own pet peeve...).

As a M & G organizer I read your post several times and wonder what point are you trying to say?

Tom:confused:

As a M & G organizer I read your post several times and wonder what point are you trying to say?

Tom:confused:

OK here's the summary version: If the M & G is about meeting the other CC Roll Call people, why are we stressing about getting in touch with the ship's officers?

OK here's the summary version: If the M & G is about meeting the other CC Roll Call people, why are we stressing about getting in touch with the ship's officers?

So the members of CruiseCritic can interact with the crew. Also if there is some issues about the cruise one can go to the officer and complain.

Rumor has it that Lady Astor was asked if she wanted to sit at the Captains Table to witch she replied "Why would I like to eat with the crew?"

So the members of CruiseCritic can interact with the crew. Also if there is some issues about the cruise one can go to the officer and complain.

Rumor has it that Lady Astor was asked if she wanted to sit at the Captains Table to witch she replied "Why would I like to eat with the crew?"

PS as you can see in my video the officers are mingling and answering questions.

Emerald Princess

Why would officers want to go to a Meet and Greet if to listen to complaints?

From my experience the people at my CC meetings have enjoyed meeting some of the other officers. In fact I have never heard any objections about inviting them so why not. I have heard complaints when their was NO officers there. With the officers there you can still meet other CC people as they did not distract from the meeting. In my last M & G on a 4 day cruise on the Golden there was only 2 officers their and they were able to answer a lot of questions that people had. This way were able to get straight answers.

Tom

Rick:

If your interested I have templates of letters that I use for all of my meetings. I just designed one for the entertainers. If you would like to see what I use please email me at trbarton743@aol.com and I will send you what I have.

Tom:)

Thanks Tom!

As it happens I never produced more than the set of CC name tags for this cruise (we embark in a few hours :D ) and I had pledged reminders would be delivered to cabins of those who emailed me their info. No reminder letters, nothing pre-printed to let ship's officers know we are having a gathering... oh my, I came close to committing the cardinal SIN of STRESSING myself about it.

Happy ending.

Well, the hotel has a fully functional business center with laser printers, MS Word, yada yada. I wound down last night printing out some cute Caribbean party notices with and without cabin numbers (we can hand some out at sailaway too).

Crew invites were just personalized with why we thought CC members would like to meet them, and also why my wife and I like the Princess (and/or Grand-class) ships. Modify, print it, modify, etc.

Definitely not a "come and speak to this group for free" letter although that was the template I adapted. If there is a microphone I will disable it (I know how from my ninja Nerd skills). I envisage one-on-one interactions.

Expectations? I have absolutely zero, because who knows what duties each crew member / entertainer will have tomorrow at 11? It might be the only downtime they get after last week's late-sailing, missed-port cruise (TRUE story) and I would understand dreading "oh no, more critical confrontational customers, do I have to?!?"

I offered, too, to answer their questions about my hometown which is their new port of departure.

If I get a light turnout of CC peeps it'll be all right too. Last cruise we did, and cruise-friends were still made. That's PRICELESS.

Short Version. :D You know, if you let the Golden Rule guide you, I don't see how it can lead to an upset or disappointment.

Why would officers want to go to a Meet and Greet if to listen to complaints?

A couple of cruises ago, I only went to the first M'n'G. I spaced out on the second one and noticed later on in the Patters after the time. Ran into one of my new friends who told us that one member of the roll call used the occasion to complain about the lack of strawberries (considering it wasn't strawberry season and there was plenty of other fruit freely available, the other woman and I shared a eye-roll). Don't remember if there were officers there (I don't think there were any at the first meet, and I don't think they would have been missed), but I would imagine her complaining would have been uncomfortable, especially if the captain or someone from his staff would have to listen to such a complaint.

Considering that some officers do go to the Captain's Welcome party, and may actually mingle there with the passengers, and that sometimes there's interaction or a chance for asking questions at the Captain's circle party for returning passengers, I really don't find it a big deal for them to skip the Cruise Critic party. Just think, there are many, many groups on board. Maybe even some that would garner a bigger attendance. And I would imagine that if there's one-on-one interaction, it's probably the same old, same old questions and comments. I doubt if there's too many interesting, unusual and unique questions that are forthcoming. Imagine for an officer if he has to answer the same question over and over again during a half hour period of time.

Just think' date=' there are many, many groups on board. Maybe even some that would garner a bigger attendance..[/quote']

I find it hard to "just think"

On the Emerald there were 2900 passengers and 200 cruisecriters.

So if one saw about 15 passengers 1 would be a critic.

I find it hard to "just think"

On the Emerald there were 2900 passengers and 200 cruisecriters.

So if one saw about 15 passengers 1 would be a critic.

So, I could simply walk around thinking that everyone I encounter

is self-important, and pretty much be right?