Norwegian Fjords on Legend of the Seas

I was comparing the itineraries for the Norwegian fjords cruises on the Legend of the Seas and HAL's Ryndam. While the HAL itinerary specifies two periods when the Ryndam does scenic fjord cruising, the RCI itinerary for the Legend only lists the actual ports at which the ship stops. Does anyone who has done the fjords on RCI know if the Legend also will do scenic fjord cruising as part of the voyage? I would hope so, but the itinerary just does not provide a clear answer.

Thank you!

I can´t tell you about the Legend and the Fjord itinerary, but I´ve been on Norwegian Cruises with RCI on other ships, as well as cruising on RCI in other regions of the world where scenic cruising is an opportunity (i.e. Alaska).

IME you can´t expect anything more than what is written in the itinerary. If scenic cruising is offered it´s usually clearly spelled out in the itinerary. They don´t miss the opportunity for some extra Advertising;) On my arctiv circle cruise earlier this year they even put "Cruising the arctic circle" in the itinerary for that day. Of course there´s nothing to see and it´s nothing but a sea day:D.

Now having said all this I will mention the exception. If you are cruising to a port that requires a Fjord Transit it might not be spelled out in the itinerary. As examples Geiranger, Oslo or Stockholm (not in Norway of course) come to my mind. Going to and from those ports will have the ship cruise through a Fjord or other beautiful scenery for a couple to several hours and it won´t be mentioned.

You don't mention the itinerary, but I did a detailed review of a Fjords cruise on Brilliance last year, which may be similar:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1653948

I'm not sure what you are expecting or hoping for, but as the PP said, Geiranger will involve a wonderful cruise through several steep sided fjords. We had great views and sailaways from other ports, but our sea days were out in the North Sea, not in fjords.

In most places the cruise company list it where they have space or when it a famous fjord etc. Often HAL mentions when RCCL doesn't but they are still sailing down the same fjords if going to the same place. E.g geiranger

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hey 2disneydads,

I could recommend you the 12 night Norwegian Fjord cruises on CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION, starting the 14th and 26th of June, 2014!

They are both cheaper and more interesting than that one on LEGEND OF THE SEAS. :)

Also CELEBRITY INFINITY offers great cruises to Norway!

I know Norway quite good (have been there 4 times) and also LEGEND does the scenic-cruises (Geirangerfjord, Olden, Bergen archipelago), RCI just does not point it out in the schedule.

They usually visit the same fjords.

But as a lover and conoisseur of Norway I can tell you: Book one Norway cruise on CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION or INFINITY! :)

Edited by celebrity_fan

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Guess this should be a new post... but I am wondering if which of the optional tours are "not to be missed". We are leaving on May 31 on Legend of the Seas from Copenhagen to Norway. Any information you would like to share would be appreciated... including where to stay close to the port in Copenhagen. Thank you

I live in Norway, and while I haven't taken a RCI cruise up the fjords, I have been to several of the places you're going to visit.

In Flam (or Flåm as it's called here) you do not want to miss the railroad. It's absolutely gorgeous, and one of the main tourist attractions in the western part of Norway.

Ålesund is famous for its beautiful architecture, so you should take a walk around the city centre in order to see that. If you want to get a fantastic view of the city and the ocean, you can also take a trip up to Aksla, a mountain and viewpoint right by the city centre. If you do decide to take the trip up to Aksla, you need to make sure to bring comfortable shoes as there are more than 400 steps on the way up!

Geiranger is obviously one of the main attractions on the cruise, so you'll enjoy the fjord no matter what you decide to do. Make sure to get a good spot on deck when you start sailing down the fjord, because you'll want to take plenty of pictures of the mountains, the waterfalls, and the tiny farms that look as though they're barely hanging onto the side of the mountains. If I were you, I would try to book a guided tour of the area to hear the history of the region. For instance, one of the farms was located so far up the side of the mountain that the tax collector couldn't get up there, which the farmer was very pleased about. The village of Geiranger is pretty small, so walking around the village shouldn't be a problem. Once again, though; wear comfortable shoes! :)

Now, as for Bergen, you do not want to miss the fish market and Bryggen. (Also, Baker Brun, which is located right by the fish market, has the best cinnamon rolls in town. They are delicious - and very famous!) Bryggen also has some good shops if you're looking for traditional Norwegian sweaters and souvenirs. Other things you can see in Bergen are Håkonshallen (which you'll probably see from the ship as it's located west of Bryggen,) Fløibanen and Troldhaugen. The latter is the home of Edvard Grieg, so if you're interested in music, that might be worth visiting.

I was comparing the itineraries for the Norwegian fjords cruises on the Legend of the Seas and HAL's Ryndam.

I have sailed both the Legend and the Ryndam. Both are very nice ships

and you will enjoy whichever you choose. They will be going to the same

ports, which are quite a ways into the fjords, so you will see amazing waterfalls

and beautiful mountains.

Take the train in Flam. Better views on the left hand side as the train is

heading up the mountain.