ES and category's re price drops

fishtaco

If I book a porthole cabin there are not so many so is the category less likely to have a price drop as they sell quicker.

So to claim any price drop a window cabin or above would need to drop below the "price paid" for a porthole? Is this correct?

Or are the price drops calculated on the Initial category you choose,ie Choose ES interior base price and if the base price drops you get the drop even though you pay a bit extra for the porthole?

I had this confusion last time I booked ES, I had an Aft extended balcony which are limited in numbers and cost more than a regular balcony, given the next category up was corner Afts and very limited it sort of made ES not worth while because all these balconies sold out first.

The problem with booking a porthole cabin with ES is that if your category sells out, you cannot price match. Porthole rooms sell out fast. Porthole rooms are not categorized as an inside cabin...Porthole rooms are a category all by themselves.

If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me but from what I understand, a Porthole room is technically a higher category than an inside room, at least that is what my TA told me. So, I am booked in a porthole room, a 4B became available, that would be a downgrade. (I tried, just because I liked the location better). With ES there are no downgrades. Would have to be a porthole or an oceanview or higher to match price. Was told I could not price match to an inside cabin. Also, cannot price match if your category is sold out.

Here is a good thread to read:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1871549

Edited by ready2cruzagain

We booked our last trip in a port hole and only had one price drop of $20. I was told by Carnival that the price drop had to be in the same category and if all the rooms were sold then there wouldn't be a price drop.

Exactly! You worded it better than me LOL. I was told that even though an oceanview was cheaper that since my PT was sold out could not price match.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Exactly! You worded it better than me LOL. I was told that even though an oceanview was cheaper that since my PT was sold out could not price match.

In that case would you have been able to give up your PT and "upgraded" to OV?