Jeans on Formal Night

mollynmax

Jeans are comfortable...have always been allowed as far back as I can recall because I know there have been debates about jeans on formal night for as long as I have ben a member here.

I just need to ask...how comfortable can STARCHED jeans be??? Good Lord!:eek:

On Carnival (especially ships sailing from Galveston), I know that I have seen men wearing nice, dark, jeans (starched & ironed), with boots and dress shirts on Formal night. A couple that we are cruising with includes a husband who simply does not do dress slacks. He wears Western jeans, starched, ironed & creased, and boots. Will he be turned away from the MDR on formal night? I don't want them to be embarrased...:(

I think where we come from that is called a Cowboy suit!!

They will let him in no problem. ENjoy!!!

suit.jpg

Well, I asked for that!! But only the jacket is showing. He COULD have black dress jeans on!!:eek: Good one!!!:D

You do have to admit he does look out of character.:)

My DH was turned away years ago for wearing jeans on a non formal night. We were both dressed '50', me in a poodle skirt, he like James Dean as we were cruising with a band hired by Carnival who were friends of ours. We had late dinner and there was an oldies party afterward, no time to change. One of the bands wifes had to argue with the Maitre'd to allow us in. My how things have changed!!!!

I'm sure they all them "dress sandals" in order to justify wearing them.

Some people will go to great lengths to avoid dressing decently.

f_64672_1.1.jpg

I'll pit my hubby in his casually elegant attire any day against all the poly blend Sears washable suits in your closet! :rolleyes:

Elegant night sandles.

LOL

What does he wear on non-elegant nights? Bedroom slippers?

I'm sure they all them "dress sandals" in order to justify wearing them.

Some people will go to great lengths to avoid dressing decently.

If someone chooses to wear nice jeans, why condemn them, or make fun of them? Seems some try to build themselves up as better than others. Oh well, If you want a classic cruise line, then sail on Cunard or QE.

f_64672_1.1.jpg

I'll pit my hubby in his casually elegant attire any day against all the poly blend Sears washable suits in your closet! :rolleyes:

These are what I would consider casual sandals. I would never even consider wearing them to a decent restaurant or event. None of my suits come from Sears or any department store. Likewise none of them are machine washable. In fact, my collection of dress attire costs more than my current car. You have some nerve assuming my suits are poly blends - especially when I am the one saying sandals and jeans shouldn't be allowed! You are all proud of your hubby for not knowing yhow to dress like a gentleman. Whatever floats your boat.

Edited by arush5268d

These are what I would consider casual sandals. I would never even consider wearing them to a decent restaurant or event. None of my suits come from Sears or any department store. Likewise none of them are machine washable. In fact, my collection of dress attire costs more than my current car. You have some nerve making assuming my suits are poly blends - especially when I am the one saying sandals and jeans shouldn't be allowed! You are all proud of your hubby for not knowing yhow to dress like a gentleman. Whatever floats your boat.

Hold on you 2, I want to make some popcorn :p

As long as the jeans don't have holes in them, I wouldn't worry too much. It is your vacation after all, no need to dress to the 9s if you don't want to.

I usually do an office casual look for formal night: slacks or khakis and a shirt with sort of collar and some shoes to match.

I'm on vacation, I don't want to get all dressed up like I'm at work.

On Carnival (especially ships sailing from Galveston), I know that I have seen men wearing nice, dark, jeans (starched & ironed), with boots and dress shirts on Formal night. A couple that we are cruising with includes a husband who simply does not do dress slacks. He wears Western jeans, starched, ironed & creased, and boots. Will he be turned away from the MDR on formal night? I don't want them to be embarrassed...:(

They're on the exclude list for formal night, so save him the embarrassment, as well as showing he's above the rules.

Regardless of what you hear, read or post the final answer is what is on the Carnival website and may be in enforced. Here it is:

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

-------------------------------------

I've been following this thread for a couple of days now and not wanting to reply because of the backlash you sometimes get from fellow members who don't think the rules apply to them. The above quote is what Carnival expects its guests to follow. I'm reading that some are just not paying attention or just don't care about the rules. Now I'll probably hear, "Its my vacation and I can dress however I want". Yes, you are absolutely right, you can, in certain areas of the ship and on certain days as stated by the rules set by Carnival. My real issue is with Carnival. The staff in the MDR's needs to enforce the rules that have been set by their employer. Manager 101, you need to be consistent when enforcing policies on your employees and guests. If you are not, you look ridiculous and folks don't know what to do so they do whatever they want. So much for the written policy........

On Carnival (especially ships sailing from Galveston), I know that I have seen men wearing nice, dark, jeans (starched & ironed), with boots and dress shirts on Formal night. A couple that we are cruising with includes a husband who simply does not do dress slacks. He wears Western jeans, starched, ironed & creased, and boots. Will he be turned away from the MDR on formal night? I don't want them to be embarrased...:(

My family always dresses up for Formal Night, even my teenage boys. Everything from long gowns and sparkly cocktail dresses for me, suits/shirts/ties for my hubby and teens. I enjoy dressing up for dinner since we don't get to at home very often. It makes the night(s) feel even more "special". I found this quote on Cruise Critic and I think it's very relative to this conversation.

"The purpose of the formal nights on a cruise is to create an elegant experience. There are often alternative dining options if your family does not like formal wear. However, the dress regulations are typically enforced and it is courteous to observe the suggestions for the entire time you are in the dining room."

I agree that Carnival needs to enforce their dress policies, however, this is what I saw on the Pride this past week.

We were seated in the section right inside the entrance to the MDR on one of the elegant nights. This 20 something guy tries to enter and the asst. Maitre'd stops him and starts talking to him. From the body language you could tell that she wasn't allowing him to enter. He had on a pair of baggy, saggy jeans, underwear showing, a bright orange t-shirt that had some kind of advertising on the back, and flip flops. He walked away, then the asst. was called over to help someone with a motorized scooter. As soon as she turned her back, the orange shirted guy snuck in and went to his table, which was near ours, joining the rest of jeans, t-shirts and flipflop people at the table.

So, is the waitstaff supposed to tell them to leave? I don't know, but this was the first cruise where we saw so many sweatsuits, baseball caps, t-shirts and dirty looking flip flops on elegant nights. They should just do away with it once and for all, since so many have no respect for their request. No one forces you to eat in the MDR, there are many other options if you don't feel like getting just a little dressed up. JMHO

These are what I would consider casual sandals. I would never even consider wearing them to a decent restaurant or event. None of my suits come from Sears or any department store. Likewise none of them are machine washable. In fact, my collection of dress attire costs more than my current car. You have some nerve assuming my suits are poly blends - especially when I am the one saying sandals and jeans shouldn't be allowed! You are all proud of your hubby for not knowing yhow to dress like a gentleman. Whatever floats your boat.

Let's not be too quick to knock Sears or ploy blends but elastic waist is a no-no:D. I am still trying to process the STARCHED jeans, concept, why:D?

IMOP, there is a huge difference between dressing decent and dressing for the occasion. Jeans are decent but no necessarily for the a more formal dining occasion.

Let's not be too quick to knock Sears or ploy blends but elastic waist is a no-no:D. I am still trying to process the STARCHED jeans, concept, why:D?

IMOP, there is a huge difference between dressing decent and dressing for the occasion. Jeans are decent but no necessarily for the a more formal dining occasion.

In the late 1990s is was popular for black kids in the Houston area to starch their jeans in ways I did not know were possible - they were like solid wood. That fad ended after a few years. Now I see rednecks / country boys heavily starching their jeans - but not like the kids in the late 1990s.

I agree that Carnival needs to enforce their dress policies, however, this is what I saw on the Pride this past week.

We were seated in the section right inside the entrance to the MDR on one of the elegant nights. This 20 something guy tries to enter and the asst. Maitre'd stops him and starts talking to him. From the body language you could tell that she wasn't allowing him to enter. He had on a pair of baggy, saggy jeans, underwear showing, a bright orange t-shirt that had some kind of advertising on the back, and flip flops. He walked away, then the asst. was called over to help someone with a motorized scooter. As soon as she turned her back, the orange shirted guy snuck in and went to his table, which was near ours, joining the rest of jeans, t-shirts and flipflop people at the table.

So, is the waitstaff supposed to tell them to leave? I don't know, but this was the first cruise where we saw so many sweatsuits, baseball caps, t-shirts and dirty looking flip flops on elegant nights. They should just do away with it once and for all, since so many have no respect for their request. No one forces you to eat in the MDR, there are many other options if you don't feel like getting just a little dressed up. JMHO

It seems in this case, the clothing was in direct correlation to the behavior.

In the late 1990s is was popular for black kids in the Houston area to starch their jeans in ways I did not know were possible - they were like solid wood. That fad ended after a few years. Now I see rednecks / country boys heavily starching their jeans - but not like the kids in the late 1990s.

I wore starched uniform to school with pleats that could cut like a knife. It was a thick paste starch made from a powder. Once dried the clothes had to be wet to be ironed. I had a flash back of discomfort beyond belief:D Moving to California, it took 20 years for me to get used to my pastor wearing jeans. I think I am used to it, nay!

Like it or not, traditional dining, a nice outfit, and an unforgettable meals, are things of the past for a cruise. The cruising tradition is no longer recognized or respected.

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

This past cruise I didn't see one person in jeans on formal night. Everyone looked AMAZING. Now, on the Glory in 2011 There was a couple that was turned away on formal night because they wore THEIR BATH ROBES to dinner :eek:

LOL!

Excellent!