Anyone Recently off Navigator out of Galveston?

The DH and I are thinking about doing the responsible thing and blowing my year-end bonus on a NYE cruise :D. Strangely enough its cheaper for us to fly from Atlanta to Houston than to FLL.

The Navigator would be a new class of ship for us and a different itinerary. Anyone recently take this cruise and have some experiences to share??

Thank you!

The ship arrived in Galveston this morning (from Rome) so you'll have to wait a while for comments !

Last December we sailed in the Mariner, it was a good cruise on a fine ship. Navigator is a sister ship.

Have a great trip.

The DH and I are thinking about doing the responsible thing and blowing my year-end bonus on a NYE cruise :D. Strangely enough its cheaper for us to fly from Atlanta to Houston than to FLL.

The Navigator would be a new class of ship for us and a different itinerary. Anyone recently take this cruise and have some experiences to share??

Thank you!

Not on Navigator out of Galveston, but we were on her last two Med cruises a few weeks ago. The Navigator was wonderful! We have never come across such a fabulous crew. Competent, cheerful, and so warm-hearted. This was everyone from the waiters who served us at dinner, to the hostesses at the Diamond happy hour, to the stewards who looked after the cabins. We were so impressed with the Navigator. She's a happy ship.

Not on Navigator out of Galveston, but we were on her last two Med cruises a few weeks ago. The Navigator was wonderful! We have never come across such a fabulous crew. Competent, cheerful, and so warm-hearted. This was everyone from the waiters who served us at dinner, to the hostesses at the Diamond happy hour, to the stewards who looked after the cabins. We were so impressed with the Navigator. She's a happy ship.

VERY happy to hear that! We'll be boarding her next sunday!!! We were on the Mariner last december. :D

We did the NYE cruise out of Galveston last year and had a great time. One note, it gets a large local crowd so some of the entertainment is switched up. IN other words if you hate country music you might feel overexposed. Not a biggies for us but a few people were surprised. Only complaint was they did not do a NYE deck party which we had a few years ago out of FLL. Weather gets a little cooler on return trip to G.

We did the NYE cruise out of Galveston last year and had a great time. One note, it gets a large local crowd so some of the entertainment is switched up. IN other words if you hate country music you might feel overexposed. Not a biggies for us but a few people were surprised. Only complaint was they did not do a NYE deck party which we had a few years ago out of FLL. Weather gets a little cooler on return trip to G.

Thank you! What were the logistics of your travel plans (if you don't mind)? We're thinking about flying into HOU instead of IAH the day before and staying overnight in Galveston. I'm guessing its either a shuttle or rental car from Houston to Galveston?

Thank you! What were the logistics of your travel plans (if you don't mind)? We're thinking about flying into HOU instead of IAH the day before and staying overnight in Galveston. I'm guessing its either a shuttle or rental car from Houston to Galveston?

This is the BIG difference between FLL and Galveston, getting to the ship and probably $200 round trip. If you stay in Houston, get the hotel to take you back to the airport to meet the ship's transfer to the ship. It will be colder in/out of Galveston and you run the chance of fog. Loved the NOS when we were on here in the Med. We did this itinerary in March 2011 and loved it so much we are doing it again on NOS next year. :)

This is the BIG difference between FLL and Galveston, getting to the ship and probably $200 round trip. If you stay in Houston, get the hotel to take you back to the airport to meet the ship's transfer to the ship. It will be colder in/out of Galveston and you run the chance of fog. Loved the NOS when we were on here in the Med. We did this itinerary in March 2011 and loved it so much we are doing it again on NOS next year. :)

I've noticed planning this it seems to be a bit more complicated logistics-wise.Trying to do this last minute might not be the best decision! We've only cruised out of the Florida ports and San Juan which are an easy flight of short drive for us. That is a good idea to stay in Houston and just meet the ship transfer at the airport. Thank you!!

I've noticed planning this it seems to be a bit more complicated logistics-wise.Trying to do this last minute might not be the best decision! We've only cruised out of the Florida ports and San Juan which are an easy flight of short drive for us. That is a good idea to stay in Houston and just meet the ship transfer at the airport. Thank you!!

I'd like to know more about meeting the ship transfer at the airport. I've asked about this in the past and have never been able to get the details. In fact, several years ago, I was told this wasn't an option unless air was booked through the cruise line. Our children will fly into Houston from Dulles. Right now they are looking at Houstonyellowcab.com which runs $107 out of Hobby and $179 from Bush Int.

Do you know how much the ship transfers into Galveston run?

I'd like to know more about meeting the ship transfer at the airport. I've asked about this in the past and have never been able to get the details. In fact, several years ago, I was told this wasn't an option unless air was booked through the cruise line. Our children will fly into Houston from Dulles. Right now they are looking at Houstonyellowcab.com which runs $107 out of Hobby and $179 from Bush Int.

I have no idea and hope someone can weigh in on this.

When I called rc and asked they said it was about 90 each way pp or a little cheaper round trip. I have read though that if ur not flying in the day of then they can deny you the transfer but not sure how true After much research on flights and travel from hobby to port we have decided to drive from Vegas. We could jot find anything cheaper than 45 pp each way for ride to port

Jamie

Just off Navigator this morning, a glorious 14 day TA from Barcelona, Spain. We had a great crossing, a little rough for a few days but Captain handled it well. Ship is in great shape, needing a little facelift soon to come in January, 2014. She is beautiful despite a little worn carpet and older TV's. We had a great time and would be happy to try to answer any questions.

Just off Navigator this morning, a glorious 14 day TA from Barcelona, Spain. We had a great crossing, a little rough for a few days but Captain handled it well. Ship is in great shape, needing a little facelift soon to come in January, 2014. She is beautiful despite a little worn carpet and older TV's. We had a great time and would be happy to try to answer any questions.

We have a balcony aft starboard side in April. Do u know how those rooms are? Did they start the drink package on your cruise. If so does the 55 pkg include the frozen cocktails Does Johnny rockets serve breakfast like on allure

Thanks

Jamie

So glad you had a great cruise! Since we'll be boarding her next sunday, I have a few questions.

I read somewhere there was a singing group on the ship that sounded just like the "Jersey Boys." Is that true? :D

We have reservations at Chops Grill and Portafino. Did you eat at either one of these speciality restaurants? Is there any dish that you would recommend?

Will there be a whole new staff of employees on the ship now that she's based in Galveston? Just curious. I heard from someone else that this crew was outstanding and it would be great if they were staying on the ship. :D

Thanks!

After much research on flights and travel from hobby to port we have decided to drive from Vegas. We could jot find anything cheaper than 45 pp each way for ride to port

Jamie

Flying into Galveston and the transportation expenses is one reason why I never did

Great drive to port thou

Have you ever done that drive?

Done SFO to HOU a couple times

If you have 3 days

Check out Deming NM for an overnight. Than San Antonio for your second night. Easy drive 3rd day If you have extra time check out the Alamo and the Riverwalk

If just 2 days than Las Cruces NM is good for an overnight.

Edited by jonbgd

Flying into Galveston and the transportation expenses is one reason why I never did

Great drive to port thou

Have you ever done that drive?

Done SFO to HOU a couple times

If you have 3 days

Check out Deming NM for an overnight. Than San Antonio for your second night. Easy drive 3rd day If you have extra time check out the Alamo and the Riverwalk

If just 2 days than Las Cruces NM is good for an overnight.

Never have done this drive but we are leaving early Friday and staying Saturday night. It's a 22 hr drive and we are driving straight thru Between the 2 of us drivers we will rotate every 4 or 6 hours and then leave Sunday when we get back and be home Monday a.m We figured it will cost about $200 each way in gas and the flights are about 450 rt plus transport from airport so we are saving about 800 and figure that's more money for the cruise. Although if the flights drop to about 100. To 125 then we will fly

Jamie

When I called rc and asked they said it was about 90 each way pp or a little cheaper round trip. I have read though that if ur not flying in the day of then they can deny you the transfer but not sure how true After much research on flights and travel from hobby to port we have decided to drive from Vegas. We could jot find anything cheaper than 45 pp each way for ride to port

Jamie

That is new information. I have never heard them denying anyone. :eek: We have flown in the day before and taken the shuttle. We just had to get back to the airport!

You do have to make reservations through RCI. If you use a travel agent then they have to make the reservation.

There are LOTS of chatter about getting to/from HOU to Galveston and back. The best is to go Southwest.

We have reservations at Chops Grill and Portafino. Did you eat at either one of these speciality restaurants? Is there any dish that you would recommend?

!

Our favorite dish's at Portafino's is the seafood skewer and the shrimp risotto.

Im saddened they are replacing it with Giovanni's table during Drydock

Never have done this drive but we are leaving early Friday and staying Saturday night. It's a 22 hr drive and we are driving straight thru Between the 2 of us drivers we will rotate every 4 or 6 hours and then leave Sunday when we get back and be home Monday a.m We figured it will cost about $200 each way in gas and the flights are about 450 rt plus transport from airport so we are saving about 800 and figure that's more money for the cruise. Although if the flights drop to about 100. To 125 then we will fly

Jamie

Wow..... good luck with the drive. I understand the reasoning

Edited by jonbgd

That is new information. I have never heard them denying anyone. :eek: We have flown in the day before and taken the shuttle. We just had to get back to the airport!

You do have to make reservations through RCI. If you use a travel agent then they have to make the reservation.

There are LOTS of chatter about getting to/from HOU to Galveston and back. The best is to go Southwest.

Like I said I don't know how true it is. The rep told me no but I have read where other people have done it and I have read where they were told no. I honestly don't know and you can't always believe the rc reps because they all give different answers

Jamie

Like I said I don't know how true it is. The rep told me no but I have read where other people have done it and I have read where they were told no. I honestly don't know and you can't always believe the rc reps because they all give different answers

Jamie

I'll try calling tomorrow and seeing what answer I get. We're only a 9 hour drive from FLL but I can't stand being in the car so we fly. The longest car ride I can stand is to Canaveral/Tampa which is 5-6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I'll try calling tomorrow and seeing what answer I get. We're only a 9 hour drive from FLL but I can't stand being in the car so we fly. The longest car ride I can stand is to Canaveral/Tampa which is 5-6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I understand about car rides. This 22 hr journey will test me. Lol

Jamie

Thank you!

The navigator is a great ship! It's a fun upbeat atmosphere onboard.