Help us decide please!

aaronisu

Oh no, why?

Way toooooo many people on the ship for the public spaces it has. Our waiter told us how many people were on board and we were right at capacity. There were no chair hogs, the loungers were filled with people not books & seriously they were filled. Trying to find a nice quiet spot impossible, unless it was our balcony & not even always as we had some totally obnoxious neighbors. There was a CC'er I met at the meet & greet who I saw midweek & he was actually flying home from the next port because he couldn't take it.

Now I know that's how our trip went & not all cruises will be so crowded.

But here are some other things

Not sure what they were going for with the general design. I found the layout disjointed. It was almost like, oh we need something here, and here, but not here. Most of the ships I've been on have their 'stuff' on certain decks, so to me it was confusing how they tried to stick something on the ends of each floor and there was no flow.

Food, totally subjective, but wasn't impressed and neither were our table mates (2 well traveled couples) I am not a foodie, I'm fine with chain restaurant quality and it probably hit that level.

They closed all the pools and hot tubs at 9 pm maybe picky, but after a day out in the sun a night swim is nice.

I didn't let these things ruin my trip, but they jaded my view on Celebrity. Everyone was like oh Celebrity is so awesome & that's a new ship so it'll be amazing. I just didn't see it that way.

The "oceanview" rooms that I have seen on the Carnival and Royal Caribbean ships I have been on are a porthole that provide little in the way of a view. Some of them in the lower decks you will find waves splashing on them, obscuring what little you can see. I have no experience with Celebrity or Princess. To me, it's just not worth the extra money. If balconies weren't several times the price of an inside cabin, and were actually a little larger, I'd consider them. But for me, the inside is fine. I spend a lot of time on deck looking at the sea and don't spend a whole lot of time in the cabin. Obviously not everyone agrees. Guess that's why they offer both chocolate and vanilla as well!

Thanks for sharing!

No problem. I know it might sound like oh I hate Celebrity, but we had a nice trip, it just wouldn't be my first choice next time.

Also since you asked about rooms, I would avoid the 3rd floor if possible. There are only 2 elevator banks and the 3rd floor hallway gets crowded at dinner time with people walking to the dining room. Not sure how much noise that might add to the rooms.

If you had the kids I would say RC, without the kids, Celebrity and Princess are more romantic:D. Perhaps you do want to check Holland as well.

San Juan (for the city, beauty and history) and Grand Cayman (for the endless fine sand beach) are my favorite ports in the Caribbean.

If pregnant, I would stay away from the European lines, not because they are bad, but because smoking is allowed everywhere on the ship while in Eurpoe during the summer months, and the cabins still have that smell hanging even though they do their best at cleaning up. I was very sensitive to smells when I was pregnant and I don't think I would have been able to handle it.

As for the cabin, it really depends on what type of person you are. We would never pay extra for a balcony because we never spend time in our cabin. We had balconies before and never used them except for storage and drying clothes. If it's a last minute-cannot-say-no deal, we would take it, but would not pay more. However I have friends who always take a balcony because they like to get up early and look at the sunrise while sipping coffee (I'm sleeping at that time:rolleyes:). So we usually go for the outside cabins.

I don't personnally like the inside cabins because they are totally pitch dark during the day if the lights are off. So you cannot see what time of the day it is. I mean you litterally cannot see your hands in front of you! I like to see the day light, my husband doesn't care. I do know people who love the inside because they sleep really well in the total darkness so these cabins are a treat for them.

So really, it is a personnal choice and hopefully our comments will help you make a choice.

Have a great cruise!:)

Edited by pingata

Well, I just booked us for the Celebrity Reflection departing 1/25! We're super excited. Now I have to figure out pre-cruise hotel, flights, and excursions. Thanks everyone for the help. :D

Congratulations! Definitely connect with your Roll Call to see what others are doing. Also, check out the Ports of Call forum to see about non-cruise vendors for your excursions - they are often half the price and include much more.

Enjoy!