11/9-17/2013 Splendor review

TillTheTimeIsRight

This is just a quick review of my experience on The Splendor. This was my fourth cruise, but the first one on Carnival, and will be the last. I went into the cruise with an open mind and low expectations. Even then I was disappointed. Something was just off.

Food was just ok. Even in the steakhouse, the food was not exciting. I ordered the lamb chops and they were overcooked and tasteless. I found the buffet to be disorganized. Had to wait on one occasion for plates to be brought out. Several people ahead of me were using bowls for all their food.

The nightly entertainment in the show room was the same every night; singing and dancing. The only difference was the style of music; Latin, rock, etc... Even Quest, Love and Marriage, and adult open mike was boring.

However, every employee I met was happy and had a smile on their face. Our waiters were superb. My cabin steward was always pleasant and did an ok job, but had to be reminded several times to refresh the ice in our cooler (we had a small cooler that was used to store medication that required refrigeration).

One chuckle we did get on this cruise was when we ordered cookies and milk in the evening, usually around midnight. There were 3 of us in the cabin, so we ordered 3 orders of cookies. The first night we received about a dozen cookies on one plate. The next night we received around 16 cookies on the plate. The next night they told us the cookies were still being made.......we didn't wait for them. Then the next night we received about 20 cookies on one plate. We got a chuckle out of it and thought it was their subtle way of telling us to quit ordering milk and cookies. Of course, that didn't stop us, but we never received more than 9 cookies after that.

Thank you for taking some time to report back. I sailed on the Splendor in May and had a wonderful cruise. Food and service were good. Enjoyed the adult comedy shows. In fact I had such a great time that I am sailing on her again this January. BTW going into a cruise "with an open mind and low expectaions" seems like an oxymoron.

I agree with your review of the Splendor. We loved our previous cruises and after the Splendor my DH said he was done with cruising because of that cruise. Luckily he changed his mind and we are sailing on the Pride again. The only thing we liked about that Splendor cruise was the itinerary. :D

Yikes don't like what I hear. We are booked on the Splendor.

You've been on here for a long time ... take it with a grain of salt. Since we don't know each other's personalities, it's hard to really 'understand' someone else's perspective.

Their idea of low expectations could be different than yours or mine.

We are all entitled to our opinions of our cruise, but we all need to be very open-minded when reading the reviews and accept that the review is only one person's opinion. Think about how many people cruise that ship every week and how many are on here and how many of those people actually give their opinion.

Got to be a very small percentage. It's all good! Relax and enjoy! :D

Yikes don't like what I hear. We are booked on the Splendor.

I'm booked on the Splendor in a couple of weeks and I'm not worried. The things that irritated the OP wouldn't have irritated me remotely. In fact some of them made me chuckle. And it goes both ways - there might be something that bothers me that the OP or other reviewers wouldn't even notice. I think it's part of the human condition that we all pay more attention to negative comments than positive ones, but personally I take reviews as information and opinion only and then make my own mind up when I get there. Enjoy your cruise :)

I'm booked on the Splendor also, and this OP hasn't influenced me at all.

I don't expect B'way entertainment or 5 star dining....and I'm not paying for it.

I also don't need milk and cookies at midnight, so that won't be an issue.

When I read reviews I look for trends that would affect me.

You've been on here for a long time ... take it with a grain of salt. Since we don't know each other's personalities, it's hard to really 'understand' someone else's perspective.

Their idea of low expectations could be different than yours or mine.

We are all entitled to our opinions of our cruise, but we all need to be very open-minded when reading the reviews and accept that the review is only one person's opinion. Think about how many people cruise that ship every week and how many are on here and how many of those people actually give their opinion.

Got to be a very small percentage. It's all good! Relax and enjoy! :D

Exactly!.. with over 3700 guests on board. can not expect everything to always be 100%. could be in one person's eyes, and not in another's eye or perspective.

We look at it as we are on vacation, thankfully we can do it. and go with the flow. sometimes yeah, something isn't always great, but still can be good. :)

As indicated in my signature, we sailed on the Splendor in September and we are booked again for January. We loved our time on the Splendor!

And as indicted in my signature, I do have options to compare. :)

For the things that Carnival can control ie. food, service, shows, itinerary, price, etc. we were not disappointed in the Splendor.

For the things they can't control ie. the attitudes of fellow cruisers, the weather, … we choose to take it in stride… merely bumps along the journey.

True, it will be interesting to sail out of NYC in the cold January weather as compared to the balmy temps in September but we are prepared to experience that.

I also am not expecting to 'duplicate' our good times of the last cruise.

Each cruise is a unique adventure in and of itself. I go with an attitude to explore the new opportunities!

I always look forward to the vacation and take the things I dislike with a grain of salt.

And I always think it is wise to maintain a healthy perspective…

I am on a lovely vacation of abundance while 70% of the world's population can't even imagine what "all you can eat" would actually look, or taste like. And I am going to complain over trivialities…???

Even though we pay for it, in the BIG scheme of things, it really is a GIFT :)

Just my opinion.

Edited by 2CoolCanucks

I agree with your review of the Splendor. We loved our previous cruises and after the Splendor my DH said he was done with cruising because of that cruise. Luckily he changed his mind and we are sailing on the Pride again. The only thing we liked about that Splendor cruise was the itinerary. :D

This was me on the Dream. It did me in for cruising. I thought I was cruised out. Thankfully, a breath of fresh air with a new cruise line restarted my addiction.

As indicated in my signature, we sailed on the Splendor in September and we are booked again for January. We loved our time on the Splendor!

And as indicted in my signature, I do have options to compare. :)

For the things that Carnival can control ie. food, service, shows, itinerary, price, etc. we were not disappointed in the Splendor.

For the things they can't control ie. the attitudes of fellow cruisers, the weather, … we choose to take it in stride… merely bumps along the journey.

True, it will be interesting to sail out of NYC in the cold January weather as compared to the balmy temps in September but we are prepared to experience that.

I also am not expecting to 'duplicate' our good times of the last cruise.

Each cruise is a unique adventure in and of itself. I go with an attitude to explore the new opportunities!

I always look forward to the vacation and take the things I dislike with a grain of salt.

And I always think it is wise to maintain a healthy perspective…

I am on a lovely vacation of abundance while 70% of the world's population can't even imagine what "all you can eat" would actually look, or taste like. And I am going to complain over trivialities…???

Even though we pay for it, in the BIG scheme of things, it really is a GIFT :)

Just my opinion.

I love your attitude.

In general, for the price one pays....by my cost of living standards they're basically "giving it away".

There are things about other lines that are better....but, not "better enough" to warrant the difference in price.

I have my theories about "the chronic complainers".....but I'll keep those to myself.

BTW...NYC in January is "almost like summer" in Canada!:)

I love your attitude.

In general, for the price one pays....by my cost of living standards they're basically "giving it away".

There are things about other lines that are better....but, not "better enough" to warrant the difference in price.

I have my theories about "the chronic complainers".....but I'll keep those to myself.

BTW...NYC in January is "almost like summer" in Canada!:)

I enjoy your attitude also! I too will be on the Splendor in January and look forward to sailing her out of NY. As long as I can walk away from the cruise, I'm good.