Young children in quad cabin

minerva78

I was wondering what experiences people have had with children in a quad OV cabin on Fantasy class ships. We're considering a cruise when my girls will be 5 and 6 at the time, and I'm not sure how much I like the two uppers for my kids. Do you feel the railings are sufficient for children this age? My girls don't move around in their beds at home, but they've also never slept on bunks, and for some reason the pics of the railings I saw on these uppers didn't look that great to me. But I wanted some opinions from people whose kids have actually used them.

I was wondering what experiences people have had with children in a quad OV cabin on Fantasy class ships. We're considering a cruise when my girls will be 5 and 6 at the time, and I'm not sure how much I like the two uppers for my kids. Do you feel the railings are sufficient for children this age? My girls don't move around in their beds at home, but they've also never slept on bunks, and for some reason the pics of the railings I saw on these uppers didn't look that great to me. But I wanted some opinions from people whose kids have actually used them.

We have a 4 YO and 3 YO. We tried to do two twins, we slept on one, they slept on the other. It worked okay, but wasn't the most comfy. So then we made them into a king and put both kids on one pulldown bed. We took the two ladders out of the closet and put one on the front side and one on the open side so there was just a small gap. We put a pillow between the ladder and the bed so that there was a soft barrier so they wouldn't roll into the ladder. It worked great. Sounds super over protective, but my kids roll and are not used to a high bunk. My DS has fallen out of bed a few times, and with the rocking of the boat, I was worried. You can try that. they also have trundle beds. I also heard the cabin steward talking about how he pulled a twin mattress down on the floor for someone every night. he wasn't too happy about it, but he was a bad room steward. Didn't turn down our bed 2 of the five nights and didn't turn down the pullman bed 3 out of the 4 nights we had it pulled down.

Many of us have been in your situation when ours were just too young to put into a cabin alone.

The rails really are sturdy enough (actually very sturdy) to keep a child from rolling over and falling out and they'll probably think sleeping on a top bunk is very fun.

Go for it! This to shall pass and you'll be able to get them a cabin of their own. :)

LuLu

~~~~

We had an OV room with our then 3 yr old & 5 yr old. We had 2 pull down bunks but I didn't feel safe leaving them up there. My boys are wiggle worms & I was afraid they would roll over the rails. They seemed pretty low to me. They do have belts you could fasten over them. Our room also had a trundle bed under our bed so we rolled it out every night & they slept on it.

We've done it twice this year on two Fantasy class ships. My 5 year old slept on an upper. We took a pool noodle as an extra barrier. We asked the steward for a trundle bed for our 3 year old and it was placed on the floor under the upper. It looked like they were in bunk beds. We did not use the upper directly above our heads. ImageUploadedByForums1385433928.734485.jpg.c5ebcbcfaf1188c60eebf083b54c1dab.jpg

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We've done it twice this year on two Fantasy class ships. My 5 year old slept on an upper. We took a pool noodle as an extra barrier. We asked the steward for a trundle bed for our 3 year old and it was placed on the floor under the upper. It looked like they were in bunk beds. We did not use the upper directly above our heads. [ATTACH]294115[/ATTACH]

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I really like this setup you had arranged, I would love to have something like that. Did you get any resistance from the steward when you asked for the trundle bed? Was it anything you had to request in advance or just when you saw your steward on the first day?

We have cruised with our 4 boys since they were born.

The ladder can be tuned sideways and will fit in between the bed frame and the mattress. It will cover all the way down except for about a foot of the bed. They won't fall out. Ii is very sturdy. t makes a 12 inch high sturdy bed rail. That is what we have done with all of our kids.

Have had both girls in inside and outside with us, as well as adjoining room. Starting at age 2&5.

-Insides will have both beds as pull downs (on newer ships they are up higher as they come out of celling, giving more head room on bottom. We always have queen under. The rails are sufficient, and if they were happen to fall or pretend to, as my daughter did, she lands right on us (or bed). ****note: i would not recommend sharing inside on other lines, carnival insides are typically alot larger then other lines. We did a quad inside on NCL Dawn ad it was AWFUL, no room for stroller, kids clothes had to stay in suitcase under bed and had to move table in front of door every night just to fit ladder.

-Outsides usually have the sofa, so one kid is on sofa and the other on bunk, this so much better and has WAY more room. Plenty of room for everything.

- adjoining, my preference and shockingly sometimes this has been cheaper then 4 in one room. Always compare prices with 2 verses 4 in a room, especially with other lines unless they have a 3 & 4 th special. WE just propped door open between rooms, and it was Perfect!!

Have had both girls in inside and outside with us, as well as adjoining room. Starting at age 2&5.

-Insides will have both beds as pull downs (on newer ships they are up higher as they come out of celling, giving more head room on bottom. We always have queen under. The rails are sufficient, and if they were happen to fall or pretend to, as my daughter did, she lands right on us (or bed). ****note: i would not recommend sharing inside on other lines, carnival insides are typically alot larger then other lines. We did a quad inside on NCL Dawn ad it was AWFUL, no room for stroller, kids clothes had to stay in suitcase under bed and had to move table in front of door every night just to fit ladder.

-Outsides usually have the sofa, so one kid is on sofa and the other on bunk, this so much better and has WAY more room. Plenty of room for everything.

- adjoining, my preference and shockingly sometimes this has been cheaper then 4 in one room. Always compare prices with 2 verses 4 in a room, especially with other lines unless they have a 3 & 4 th special. WE just propped door open between rooms, and it was Perfect!!

I really like the setup where there is a sofa and a bunk the best, it's just that none of the Fantasy class ships have that. I've been considering a cruise on the Liberty because it does have that setup, I just like the itinerary on the Fantasy or Fascination more! But it does seem like those rooms have a lot more room, I need to decide if it's worth a longer drive, a little more money, and a beach day in Freeport rather than LSC or HMC lol. I just looked up connecting rooms on the possible itineraries, and two connecting are quite a bit more unfortunately. :(

I put my two boys (3&6) in their own upper bunks and they did just fine. If you asked them, they would say it was the best part of their trip! My 3 year rolls all over his bed and has been know to fall off, so I put him in the one above our bed. The railings are plenty high and long enough to keep them safe.

Sent from my iPhone

Not sure on that ship, but our inside room on the Freedom had the bunk over the king bed. So if they fell off the bunk, they would land on the bed (not the floor). But mine were younger so they slept on the bed. Some nights all 4 of us slept on the king bed, others my wife and kids slept on the bed and I slept on the bunk.

Not sure on that ship, but our inside room on the Freedom had the bunk over the king bed. So if they fell off the bunk, they would land on the bed (not the floor). But mine were younger so they slept on the bed. Some nights all 4 of us slept on the king bed, others my wife and kids slept on the bed and I slept on the bunk.

LOL. Know the bunk well. Slept there for almost an entire cruise after my teen son broke his wrist playing basketball on day one of our Valor cruise.

41GUIb%2BRIgL._SL1500_.jpg

We have one of these inflatable bed rails. It's from "The Shrunks" brand and you can get it on Amazon for $20. I just fits under the fitted sheet. It has a small pump that goes with it, and it folds down to nothing. Super easy to take places when you travel.

Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I definitely feel better about the uppers now. I think I will make sure we get a trundle bed in our room, so in case one or both of the girls don't want the bunk, they could sleep on the trundle. But it's good to know the uppers are safe and a lot if little kids like the uppers, maybe mine will too. :)