Problems with Payments to Viking

writer100

You should be aware that Viking clears payments through a Swiss bank. This --according to several ta's-- has resulted in numerous problems with credit card payments. The first issue that might come to mind is that you better use a cc with no foreign transaction fee--Chase Sapphire, United Explorer, several others--but the bigger issue seems to be some computer problem with the actual clearance. Certainly not my area of expertise, but I am aware of the issue(s) because it took multiple phone calls and emails over 3 days to get things straightened out. Too bad, as that's not the way to build towards the kind of memorable experience we hope a Viking cruise will prove to be.

I just checked. I used my American Express that has no international transfer fees, but the charge came in U.S. $ from Viking River Cruises, Woodland Hills, CA. That was on November 2 for my final payment for the April 2015 Maiden Voyage.

I just checked. I used my American Express that has no international transfer fees, but the charge came in U.S. $ from Viking River Cruises, Woodland Hills, CA. That was on November 2 for my final payment for the April 2015 Maiden Voyage.

That's fascinating, as my travel agent called several times in despair because Viking was clearing through a Swiss bank and had somehow fouled up the transaction multiple times. (This was for a July 2015 cruise.) Perhaps they switched their clearance operation.

Or maybe I was a guinea pig? Anyway, glad you avoided the problems I had.

When I called Viking to pay my down payment, they suggested I let AMX know the charge would be clearing thru a Swiss Bank.......had no problems then but will watch my account when I make final payment next week for the Sept 15, 2015 cruise.

Thanks for the information

This is the info from my TA

"This is the first I've heard of it, but Viking says that the foreign transaction fee is more likely to be added to a Visa or Mastercard (if at all; they can't say whether it will or not until they've run the card).

However, if we use the AMEX that I have on file, and there is transaction fee, Viking will refund it 100% if you send in a fax or email showing the fee.

Really strange…"

• 2 months later...
Are any of you being told by Viking that all correspondence, reservations, payments, other questions, and shore excursion bookings must go thru your TA and not them, if your initial booking was via a TA?

I have called Viking several times and they always refer me back to my TA, especially if it involves any type of quote on excursions,etc.

Anyone taking the Iceland extension? There seems to be a lot of confusion as to where this extension will end. I have been told Bergen by Viking, confirming each time with customer service and now they say it is Iceland. We need to know so we can make flight plans but our TA says wait and see. It is a little unsettling since we have paid in full for a product that they cannot confirm. Would appreciate any information on this issue.

Janice

• 2 years later...
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but:

My current charge bill for a river cruise deposit was handled in USA.

On the same bill my Oslo extension on my ocean cruise was a foreign transaction.

Dear sitraveler,

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond to your comments.

We regret to learn of your disappointment and are interested in discussing the details of your concerns further. Should you wish to do the same, please contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

We used an AMEX and got charged a transaction fee. I called Viking and, after e-mailing then my cc statement, they credited my account with the amount. So pay attention to your CC statement. The transaction fee was at the bottom of the statement under "Fees and Interest" - not with the charge itself.